Gulfstream purchase

mhff34

Reaction score
Hi, I'm buying a 2008 gulfstream . Anything particular to look out for? Putting new power so not concerned with the motor. Not sure if I should have it surveyed.

Thanks

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is the same question posed on THT, however I do not think you mentioned the fact you were going to repower her.

I think the only real test "I" would concern myself with is, as stated, stand on the motor and see if the transom gives.

Just remember, EVERYthing on it is fixable... so, if you are re-powering the boat, then.. well.. why bother with a survey?

If the transom were to need a rebuild.. what.. 5k? Nothing compared to the new motors.. and, sell the 300 currently on it and you paid for that. So... just go for it.

BUT.. the real test is if you come back here and show us pictures of the entire process.. now THAT is a recommendation I can get behind ;)

R

Reactions: mhff34

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have zero doubt you are going to love the boat and have a great time....

And, for the record.. it seems that a transom costs a lot more than 5k.. ..so.. don't go into anyone's shop and tell them I told you it should only cost 5k... lol.... because, clearly.. adding a "what" and "?" on that, meant I was telling you it would cost that.

R

Mr.crab

Reaction score
I like twins for the ocean, on Grady’s website the performance data between the 300 and twin 200’s
is almost the same. I like the extra speed and cruise at lower rpm, but it is double the maintenance.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I like twins for the ocean, on Grady’s website the performance data between the 300 and twin 200’s
is almost the same. I like the extra speed and cruise at lower rpm, but it is double the maintenance.

That is exactly why we ended up with a Grady.

My wife rolls her eyes.. come to think of it.. hrm...her eyeballs are in a constant state of Rollerarmous... lol

Anyway, I had a fully decked out 2008 Polar 2310.. I mean.. you could eat off the thing.. picked out for like 17k... freaking unreal deal.. but, I love fishing offshore and I wanted more/better shade for the wife...she wanted to go, but does not fish....I think she wanted to roll her eyes around me more.. but hey.. who knows, right? lol

Anyway, when I had my Triton 240 lts pro.. we went way out.. followed some shrimp boats.. but one day, the engine, worked.. but was sounding a little off... cannot explain it, but I knew that sound.

So, I wanted a 2nd engine and the idea of a 9hp kicker did not sit well enough with me.. so.. twin engines.

Can you do it with one? heck yea.

Can you get help faster and safer than back then? oh heck yea..

So, a single engine, especially a brand new one will be totally fine, but to have the luxury of dual 200's or, hell.. even 150's, just to have a second engine, to me.. would be worth it.. but then again, I do not need to go fast, just steady ;)

Whatever you get.. it will be awesome and we will totally be excited with ya, OP.. don't take this as "yer screwin up!"... lol.. just old farts debating options and ideas. At the end of the day... we like the bling of a single just as much as a twin ;)

Russ

Mr.crab

Reaction score
That is exactly why we ended up with a Grady.

My wife rolls her eyes.. come to think of it.. hrm...her eyeballs are in a constant state of Rollerarmous... lol

Anyway, I had a fully decked out 2008 Polar 2310.. I mean.. you could eat off the thing.. picked out for like 17k... freaking unreal deal.. but, I love fishing offshore and I wanted more/better shade for the wife...she wanted to go, but does not fish....I think she wanted to roll her eyes around me more.. but hey.. who knows, right? lol

Anyway, when I had my Triton 240 lts pro.. we went way out.. followed some shrimp boats.. but one day, the engine, worked.. but was sounding a little off... cannot explain it, but I knew that sound.

So, I wanted a 2nd engine and the idea of a 9hp kicker did not sit well enough with me.. so.. twin engines.

Can you do it with one? heck yea.

Can you get help faster and safer than back then? oh heck yea..

So, a single engine, especially a brand new one will be totally fine, but to have the luxury of dual 200's or, hell.. even 150's, just to have a second engine, to me.. would be worth it.. but then again, I do not need to go fast, just steady ;)

Whatever you get.. it will be awesome and we will totally be excited with ya, OP.. don't take this as "yer screwin up!"... lol.. just old farts debating options and ideas. At the end of the day... we like the bling of a single just as much as a twin ;)

Russ
I am with you, Russ

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, there is one...lol.. I have been in an "internet war" with a putz on THT that says I am a "know-it-all" that does not know jack about boats..(I took it to PMs to keep him from scaring the children.. lol).....for you know "telling someone it would cost 5000 to redo a transom".. as if asking "what" and using a ? was giving a quote as an expert....

When telling him it was a question, because of the use of punctuation, he defaulted to calling me a liberal... democrat...crazy...mental...everything else....because he has 35 years of experience and, gosh darn it.. people should stop telling people prices on the Internet when they do not know what they are talking about.

Seems the crazies come out when you say something that tweaks them.. heh

Been going on since yesterday.. tried to be nice.. tried to see his side.. finally gave up and called him sugar britches. That seems to have really gotten his goat.. lol

Anyway, the Gulfstream was ONLY off my list because of the fact it would cost me between 700-1000 a year in permits to haul it... and, momma wanted a stand up head.. heh. Otherwise, that was the first boat/Grady we looked at.

We stuck with looking at Gradys because of it...

But what do I know.. I do not have 35 years of being ...whatever :p

Cannot wait to see the new boat... I bet the OP will love it..

R

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Well, there is one...lol.. I have been in an "internet war" with a putz on THT that says I am a "know-it-all" that does not know jack about boats..(I took it to PMs to keep him from scaring the children.. lol).....for you know "telling someone it would cost 5000 to redo a transom".. as if asking "what" and using a ? was giving a quote as an expert....

When telling him it was a question, because of the use of punctuation, he defaulted to calling me a liberal... democrat...crazy...mental...everything else....because he has 35 years of experience and, gosh darn it.. people should stop telling people prices on the Internet when they do not know what they are talking about.

Seems the crazies come out when you say something that tweaks them.. heh

Been going on since yesterday.. tried to be nice.. tried to see his side.. finally gave up and called him sugar britches. That seems to have really gotten his goat.. lol

Anyway, the Gulfstream was ONLY off my list because of the fact it would cost me between 700-1000 a year in permits to haul it... and, momma wanted a stand up head.. heh. Otherwise, that was the first boat/Grady we looked at.

We stuck with looking at Gradys because of it...

But what do I know.. I do not have 35 years of being ...whatever :p

Cannot wait to see the new boat... I bet the OP will love it..

R
You made the correct decision, the longer boat better in the chop

artodea

Reaction score
Get a survey - the Gulfstream hull is balsa-cored above the waterline and it is worth having someone tap over the entire surface looking for delamination and/or water intrusion. Get a good look at the through-hull fittings, particularly if they are plastic, and the hoses they are connected to. Everything is repairable but access can be tricky. An '08 that is well-maintained should be in great shape.

A single 300 is all you need. Twins would be nicer, but if your bracket is for a single, stick with that.

Good luck