Gulfstream repower suggestions

nick1048

Reaction score
I have an '88 Gulfstream with a single 225 on a bracket. The engine is original and is obviously getting old and a little maintenance heavy, so I'm looking to repower her. I emailed Grady to see what kind of options I have and they said 225, 250, or 300V6 (due to weight, instead of V8). I was just wondering if anybody had any input.

The 225 moves it fine and I really don't have any problems with it...but tell a guy he could get a bigger/faster something and of course he's going to want a bigger/faster something...simple man logic. A majority of the time the boat is in the Chesapeake Bay, but I am doing more and more offshore trips where the extra hp would be helpful, I'm thinking.

Any opinions, input, experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

can129

Reaction score
Replaced my 1998 250HP OX66 with a leftover F250 (not the 2nd generation) this spring. It so happened that I got a exellent deal on it and it had the electronic throttle and new instruments. I think the new engine is great and it moves my boat just as well as the 2 stroke and much quieter. The electronic throttles are expensive but after having it I will never go back to manual controls.

I have looked at the new 300 HP V-6 and at a price of near 30K I could not justify the extra for the updated engine. Maybe if the prices come down in the coming years it would make sense. Maybe they will have a third generation four stroke and want to deal the 2nd as leftovers.

In my opinion I always thought the 250 may be a little under powered but for my normal fishing needs, it is fine.

Good Luck

can129

Reaction score
Replaced my 1998 250HP OX66 with a leftover F250 (not the 2nd generation) this spring. It so happened that I got a exellent deal on it and it had the electronic throttle and new instruments. I think the new engine is great and it moves my boat just as well as the 2 stroke and much quieter. The electronic throttles are expensive but after having it I will never go back to manual controls.

I have looked at the new 300 HP V-6 and at a price of near 30K I could not justify the extra for the updated engine. Maybe if the prices come down in the coming years it would make sense. Maybe they will have a third generation four stroke and want to deal the 2nd as leftovers.

In my opinion I always thought the 250 may be a little under powered but for my normal fishing needs, it is fine.

Good Luck