Gulfstream Stereo Speaker Placement

Finatic

Reaction score
I'm adding a stereo to my Gulfstream in the next few weeks but I'm having problems deciding where to mount the speakers. If I remove the deck plates that are on either side of the fish boxes, I can fabricate a mount out of starboard and add a pair of 6.5" speakers . Has anyone every done this or should I consider other locations?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are using a compass, be sure to see if it is effected by the proposed speaker locations.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Fin,

I bought one for my Gulfstream as well. I was looking at the bulkhead on the port side of the companionway since I can get into the back side of it from the cabin...there is also room for 1 under the helm seat and with the tackle box out, I can get inside of that as well...running the wires becomes a little tough...I am also not sure where to mount the stereo..I want to keep it sheltered..maybe just inside the cabin door...

Gary M

Reaction score
I mounted a pair of marine box speakers up under the gunnels. The gunnels (on my 1994 Sailfish) were about an inch or more thick but I drilled one mounting bracket screw hole just about 1/32 too far up and it cracked the top fiberglass of the gunnel, so if you do that, be careful.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Gary,

Thanks for the "heads up"...we have all made those mistakes over the years....I bought a package that came with a set of flush mount speakers....I had the same set in my last Mako and it worked pretty well. I put them in the gunnel near the bow casting platform and my father-in-law put his knee into one during a rough day fluke fishing..so I want totry to put them out of the way...

Finatic

Reaction score
I had the box speakers mounted under the gunnels on my previous 222. It worked great except I ended up losing a under gunnel rod holder. I think I am going to try my original plan and mount the 6.5" speakers where the deck plates are on either side of the fish boxes. Hopefully, I can get this project done over the 4th of July. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just took the fish box deck plates off, cut a circle in them to fit the speaker, secured what small ring was left over with a couple of screws so they would not just pop off and remounted. No need for making a starboard ring.

I used my Dremel flush cut tool and it was very easy to cut the circle out, file a bit and mount the speaker! Looks great and was very simple to do. Sound great also as the inside of the fish box acts as a speaker box.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just took the fish box deck plates off, cut a circle in them to fit the speaker, secured what small ring was left over with a couple of screws so they would not just pop off and remounted. No need for making a starboard ring.

I used my Dremel flush cut tool and it was very easy to cut the circle out, file a bit and mount the speaker! Looks great and was very simple to do. Sound great also as the inside of the fish box acts as a speaker box.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Rob,
Do you have any pics? I popped mine out to replace the thruhulls and it looks like there is enough room to accomodate the back of the speaker, but I dont want to have them out in the open like that...I had one get broke on my last boat..

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just took this one while out in the boat today. Hope it shows up here.

Attachments

• DSC02275.JPG
    DSC02275.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 4,206

cgmiller

Reaction score
Rob,

That looks good but I see "my crew" putting thier foot through the grate the first or second time someone goes to walk up to the bow....good luck with yours~!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yeah, I hear ya. That speaker grill on those Sony's is quite strong. Maybe I will be ok. Usually the speakers don't last forever anyhow, so if they punch one out, I will punch them out and then get a new one. :-|

Those ports were very old and sun burnt, so figured cut these and try them out. Worse case, I would replace them with new one's anyhow and then relocate speakers. There are not a lot of good/safe spots. The hardtop had box speakers next to the deck lights, but they whistled like crazy when running and one kept loosening up and finally fell, so they are gone. The flush mount was much better and the sound was way better in that box. Lots more base and clear sound.

I will be looking to mount some box speakers somewhere under the helm when I can find some that sound better than those I checked out in WM so far. Gotta check out Radio Shack and Best Buy. I heard that they had some marine type box speakers.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Robert,

Where is your stereo and how did you get the speaker wires to the speakers??

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The stereo is in the dash/helm box just in front of the steering wheel. The cables run down just under the helm and go down into the hull ,then snaked them back to the fishbox. Was not a really hard run to do. When you remove the fishbox port covers, you could see forward up the side of the hull. So a nylon snake from Harbor Freight did the job with ease.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Robert,

I have my vhf and a Garmin chart plotter in there, so it is pretty full. I was thinking about mounting it inside the cabin door attached to the roof in a gimble mount enclosure...thanks for the info....

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not a bad spot. I have seen some mounted like this. My VHF is mounted in my overhead radio box so that left room in the helm box.
You can also get a stereo enclosure that is water resistant to allow mounting somewhere near the helm if it makes it more convenient. Or, you can get a stereo with a remote that you can mount on your helm to make it easier to control the volume and some other features of the stereo. That way you don't have to leave the helm.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Robert,

I bought the stereo package last fall when west marine had them onsale..I dont know if it has a remote or not..I have had those...I am considering putting it in an enclosure and mounting it on the dash forward of the cabin door, but I dont want too much stuff out in the open and visible if you know what I mean...