Gulfstream Trailering

Yooper350

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, been on the site a while reading and researching but first time posting. We are looking at a used Gulfstream for fishing the Great Lakes this coming year. We live 50 miles from the closest port we fish and around 70 miles from what I would call our home port. We also take a few trips in the 3-4 hour range from home to fish Lake Michigan. We are currently running a starcraft islander. I have a 3/4 ton diesel pickup and the oversize permits aren't an issue to get and we like the fact that there should be enough room to overnight on the gulfstream compared to our current boat which the cuddy serves as mainly storage. Given the distance we live from where we fish and the fact we have to trailer everywhere should I try and find a hull I like closer to 8'6" width? How much of a hassle is it to trailer a gulfstream?

Some of the areas we fish are quite remote and finding lodging can be a real hassle so we often just do day trips. With the gulfstream we would likely try and fish an afternoon/evening one day then slip/trailer the boat and head out the following morning for some more fishing. Hoping the benefits of being able to overnight would outweigh any additional hassle of trailering but what does everyone else think? Thanks for the input.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As far as the physical size of the boat goes in regards to trailering and manevering it around, that's a non issue. The boat is still on the small size where it doesn't present any type of issue. The extra few inches on each side is nothing to worry about. I guess a lot of this is a personal preference, though, and it's really up to you and what you're comfortable with. To be honest, my opinion shouldn't matter! :)

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I fish Lakes MI & Erie, and also went from an Islander to a Gulfstream. Had the same concerns as you regarding trailering the larger craft. I had to switch trailers as the one that came with the boat was undersized, but after that the rig pulls great. No extra hassle than trailering any boat, other than watching height as mine has a hard top. Go for it!

Yooper350

Reaction score
I fish Lakes MI & Erie, and also went from an Islander to a Gulfstream. Had the same concerns as you regarding trailering the larger craft. I had to switch trailers as the one that came with the boat was undersized, but after that the rig pulls great. No extra hassle than trailering any boat, other than watching height as mine has a hard top. Go for it!

What height are you with the hardtop? The particular gulfstream we are looking at has a hardtop with radar. Also what rating axles do you have on the trailer for your gulfstream?

I'm used to pulling several 8'6" trailers and the gulfstream is only 9" wider but for some reason seems much larger when it requires the oversize permit.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What height are you with the hardtop? The particular gulfstream we are looking at has a hardtop with radar. Also what rating axles do you have on the trailer for your gulfstream?

I'm used to pulling several 8'6" trailers and the gulfstream is only 9" wider but for some reason seems much larger when it requires the oversize permit.

Hi Yooper350:

I trailered a Gulfstream for 11 years. It's not that big a deal to tow as the others have said.

Fully loaded she was 10,100 lbs loaded with ice, Mt Dews, and too much gear. This figure includes the trailer weight. Height was 12' 6" with my hardtop, although there was no radar dome mounted up there. Figure 13' or a little higher with the radar.

Your 3/4 diesel will move it in fine style. Figure on 10-11MPG or thereabouts.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do is do not undersize your trailer. My gulfstream trailer started out with twin 5k axles. I blew bearings on a regular basis until we scrapped them and upgraded to 7K axles. It was a big difference. My 232 Gulfstream came in around 8200 lbs, but I kept it loaded with fuel and it had twin 200's. Yours will likely weigh less, but I would still oversize your trailer. 5k axles will give you a 10,000 cap and by the time you add your boat, trailer weight and your gear, I don't think that's enough of a safety margin.

Electric brakes are a big deal as well. if your getting a new trailer, I would have electric over hydraulic brakes and 14K cap. Also consider a Dutton 2-speed winch. The Gulfstream will be noticeably heavier than your Islander, and the 2-speed winch will make cranking the Beast onto the trailer easier.

Of course, I can spend your money easier than mine! Good luck, the 232 is a great boat and we did overnights in ours regularly.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream

On the old roller trailer I was about 13'1" including radar dome, the new bunk trailer sits a bit shorter but I haven't actually measured it. I went with 6K torsion axles on a trailer from Owens & Son. If you don't leave MI the annual permit is $90, with $30 each for truck, trailer, and boat.
IMG_20180422_164031990 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UCPA111

Yooper350

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm lining up a few gulfstreams to look at while we are on vacation in Florida because you really don't see many for sale in the midwest. Any things that I need to really inspect or problem things to watch out for?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm lining up a few gulfstreams to look at while we are on vacation in Florida because you really don't see many for sale in the midwest. Any things that I need to really inspect or problem things to watch out for?

Yooper:

Yooper:

I have lived in Fla for the last seven years and most used boats, Grady's included, are victims of the tropical, humid environment that exists here. Add lack of maintenance, neglect and the long-term effects of saltwater on the boat & engines and you have the potential for a lot of problems.

Not all boats here fall under that category; there are good boats that have been conscientiously maintained, but finding them may be a challenge.. others on here are much more knowledgeable than myself on problem areas to look for on used boats.

You probably already have, but try Twin Cities Marine in Two Rivers WI. They were bought out, and I'm not sure what the new company name is..I bought my Gulfstream there; they are wonderful people and have a great dealership. If I still lived up there, I would still be doing biz with them.

If possible, try to land a freshwater boat since you'll use it on Superior and Michigan. Not only will they have no corrosion, but will likely have less hours on them given the short season.

Yooper350

Reaction score
Yooper:

Yooper:

I have lived in Fla for the last seven years and most used boats, Grady's included, are victims of the tropical, humid environment that exists here. Add lack of maintenance, neglect and the long-term effects of saltwater on the boat & engines and you have the potential for a lot of problems.

Not all boats here fall under that category; there are good boats that have been conscientiously maintained, but finding them may be a challenge.. others on here are much more knowledgeable than myself on problem areas to look for on used boats.

You probably already have, but try Twin Cities Marine in Two Rivers WI. They were bought out, and I'm not sure what the new company name is..I bought my Gulfstream there; they are wonderful people and have a great dealership. If I still lived up there, I would still be doing biz with them.

If possible, try to land a freshwater boat since you'll use it on Superior and Michigan. Not only will they have no corrosion, but will likely have less hours on them given the short season.

The southern conditions certainly make me nervous about buying a boat from any warm climate. I'm just not familiar with it and I really don't know much about fiberglass boats. I grew up in aluminum boats hunting, fishing and playing and have worked on aluminum boats from 14 to 32ft but not much experience on fiberglass. If we do pull the trigger on something down south I will have to rely on a surveyor and local experts to aid in the decision. The attraction of buying a boat from southern states is that there are simply so many more in the market and the prices seem to be 3/4 to 1/2 of what we'd pay up here. If we don't find a boat that we absolutely have to have we won't have a problem heading back north empty handed but I think we'll take the diesel pickup just in case :)

I looked up Twin Cities Marine and they didn't have anything currently that I was interested in but I'll keep checking. We occasionally fish out of Two Rivers, usually launch at Seagull Marina and chase some early season kings and coho.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The southern conditions certainly make me nervous about buying a boat from any warm climate. I'm just not familiar with it and I really don't know much about fiberglass boats. I grew up in aluminum boats hunting, fishing and playing and have worked on aluminum boats from 14 to 32ft but not much experience on fiberglass. If we do pull the trigger on something down south I will have to rely on a surveyor and local experts to aid in the decision. The attraction of buying a boat from southern states is that there are simply so many more in the market and the prices seem to be 3/4 to 1/2 of what we'd pay up here. If we don't find a boat that we absolutely have to have we won't have a problem heading back north empty handed but I think we'll take the diesel pickup just in case :)

I looked up Twin Cities Marine and they didn't have anything currently that I was interested in but I'll keep checking. We occasionally fish out of Two Rivers, usually launch at Seagull Marina and chase some early season kings and coho.

Looks like your heading down with a good mindset; again, there are Gulfstreams worthy of consideration. Good luck in your search and at least you'll have temps in a reasonable register. I have a friend in Sheboygan WI that told me it was reading 6 degrees on his SUV this morning.

I have launched my old Gulfstream at Seagull Marina a couple times. It's withing walking distance of Twin Cities and I've had sausage/egg biscuits at that McDonalds while waiting for my boat to be serviced. Neat town.

Fishtales

Reaction score
you can trailer a 232. Transom is 8'10" which is a little over the 8'6" legal limit in both states. I think you'd be ok, but technically you need a special permit. Should be fine as the LOA isn't a dead giveaway of a beamy boat.