Gulfstream upper berth problem

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey fellow Gulfstream owners. On my '93 Gulfstream, the web straps that hold the upper berth in the raised position are literally falling apart. I can stick my finger through the webbing anywhere along its length. It appears to be nylon or one of the ...lons that has been sun damaged. Has anyone replaced theirs? I can't seem to make time during the day to call my Grady dealer.

Thanks,
Gary 93 Gulfstream

Bokat

Reaction score
I have a 93 also and the webbing is doing fine. Sorry about your problem, I guess you'll have to find a few minutes to call your dealer to get new straps.

I don't know if it makes a difference but my boat is stored on the trailer under a roof in an open bay but it has a full cover on it. The previous owner had an oversized garage built for it so it was protected from the sun when he owned it too.

no problem

Reaction score
I took the snaps to my local canvas shop and they were able to sew new straps to them. I just poked a hole for the original bolt to go through the other end and I'm good as new for very little cost. good luck!

jweschler

Reaction score
I replaced mine two years ago when I re-upholstered the whole interior. I just cut the straps out of 2" webbing and hot knifed the ends and used a solder iron to make the holes for the screws so that they do not fray.

Bokat

Reaction score
Good ideas from everyone. I'll keep this info in the back of my mind if I have the same strap issues. Thanks for the posts.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I thought about just buying the webbing but wasn't comfortable with sewing the hardware in. That's when I thought about going to see my local canvas lady but just haven't been able to make the time. That's when I posted to see if anyone had found a source for them.

When I took the straps off the upper bunk, I also did some cleaning in the cabin and in the process, managed to break the spout off the kitchen faucet. I removed the faucet last Saturday and did some web searches. It's manufactured by Whale Industries and found it on their website. Also found that there is a spout replacement kit that no one stocks and that the whole faucet can be replaced for $65 including shipping from Defender.com so that's what I did. I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow. During my web searching, I found it odd that most places only carried certain items and Defender was one of the very few I found that carried the model needed on the Gulfstream.

Gary 93 Gulfstream