Gulfstream vs Advance

Finatic

Reaction score
I'm the market for a new to me boat for the 2008 season and I keep going back and forth between a center console and a walkaround. If I go with a walkaround I'm leaning towards the 232 Gulfstream with twin 150 HPDIs. I'm also kicking around the idea of a 247 Advance with twin 150 HPDIs. The majority of my fishing is done out of OC, MD chasing tuna and hitting the wrecks. I'm stepping up from a 222 and it did everything and more. Is the longer length and wider beam of the Gulfstream going to provide a significantly better ride than the Advance? If any one has any insight, please let me know.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I own a 2007 232 Gulfstream...It rides significantly better than my Seafarer 22, but I have not been in an Advance.
I can say with certainty that you'd be surprised at how "big" the Gulfstream is for a 23-foot rig.
Twins are a must, I think...I have the 200 Four-Strokes.
If you are talking new, Grady will not equip their boats from the factory with anything other than four-stroke Yamahas. I wanted HDPI's, but I would've had to have them installed at a dealership. and I wanted them rigged at the factory.
I have since had no cause to regret the four-strokes. They are the smoothest, quietest engines I have ever run.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
If you are going to be chasing Tuna outa OC MD than my nod would be for the Gulfstream. I took my Gulfstream to the Canyons and back many many times between 2002 and 2007, over 750 hours of Canyon running time. The extra size and weight of the Gulfsrteam make that boat closer to a 26 footer than a 23. It makes a huge difference, we rode in stuff that a lot of others would not, mostly not be choice, but we make a lot of runs and stuff happens. Thats when you appreciate the extra mass. You will also appreciate the extra cockpit size. With the cost of fishing offshore these days, its nice to be able to fish four guys comfortably, especially when all four are hooked up. For power, I would recommend twin 200's the Gulfstream is a lota boat. Twin 150's can get the job don, but 200's are better, especially offshore.
Ken

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i have a 2002 gulfstream with twin f200's. it cruises at just under 30 mph and better than 2 mpg. i think if you check the official performance stats, twin f150's would work harder to achieve comparable results, so i agree with ken.

because the "23" is all boat, it's a liitle misleading. i sit next to a 26 century WA and your eye would have a tough time telling the difference in tip to tip measurement. also, the cockpit is huge! we are looking to move up to the 33 and i keep walking down the dock checking a couple 33's in my marina and i can tell you there isn't a lot more room there (especially with the stern seat up, my gulfstream has the moulded in stern seat.) i would suggest you hit a boat show (or dealer with stock) and check the two out side by side.

also, i don't do offshore, but my ride is very comfortable when the wind is blowing and helm curtains are all up. i see guys come back on snotty days with cc's and they are drenched. but, they are fishermen with boats while i am a boater that likes to fish - big difference.

good luck with either, though. ron

CapeCodBoater

Reaction score
I would also agree that twin 150's are small for a Gulfstream. I had one and you could not get the boat to plane with one engine. You may as well use a 9.9 kicker, because all I could do with one 150 was put back in. The boat statistically was larger than the 25 or 26 Grady in weight, beam etc. It was a great riding boat. Although I am purchasing a 247 Advance, because I am in shallow water a lot and like to beach with the family and the gulfstream was a bit more difficult for that.

Finatic

Reaction score
Pete,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like you've done alot with your Gulfstream. By the way, your boat used to be docked right up the canal from me in OC, MD.

taka

Reaction score
I chose the Advance with full curtains. I had a Marlin and it was a great boat but found we seldom used the cabin. Slept on the boat 3 times in 5 years. Only thing that was used down below was the head. Oh forgot, kids like to play their gameboys down there because they could lay down and see better - they were suppose to be fishing :shock: The deal was the same on my previous Robalo cuddy. Just stored crap down below. So this time I decided screw the multipurpose stuff, "It's a fishing boat, my dear." I bought an '01 same year as the Marlin with a single Yamaha 250 2 stroke. Had two of them on the Marlin and one currently on my bassboat and they have been bulletproof. Had a 200 HPDI on the Robalo cuddy and it was flawless as well. Chose a single this time instead of twins but added a 9.9 kicker. Have read some say this is underpowered but I mostly run offshore and seldom am I ever able to cruise at more than 30 knots which the single does just fine. If I want to go fast I go out in the Basscat. :) The kicker pushes the boat 5 knots which is just enough to stay out of trouble should I ever have to wait for Boat US tow. Like someone said earlier, if a single 150 doesn't get you on plane does it really matter? I guess it really depends on what your priorities are. A friend has twin 4 strokes and loves them. Good luck on your choice. Art

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The wider beam Gulf is heavier - you will feel the weight as it benefits the ride.

The CC has more room for fishing, and being lighter and narrower - a more economical boat.

There would be more day fishermen with CCs if not for the Admiral outranking the Skipper.

And that said about gameboys and the like, give a kid a choice between gameboys and a rod with bait, and you know what.
In my day there wasn't gameboys but other things like stickball, thankfully I was not given a choice on fishing day, including getting out of bed at 4:00 AM.

There is plenty of time for gameboys off the boat, for the fisherman and fisherman to be. Make it a rule.

Take both boats out for the sea trail on a breezy similar day, see if the CC ride works for you vs. the heavier Gulf.

TunaT

Reaction score
CC or cuddy

Finatic........this is the age old question that in the end only you can answer...its between the fishability of a CC and the cabin area on the cuddy. Which one suits your needs better. I guess, I've been running out of OC for about 30 years now and before that chincoteague. (I know I'm dating myself). I can remember times on my 20ft Mako (semi-deep V) in the late 80's out off poorman's, with 5 or 6 extra 5gal can of gas roped to bow just to get back into land....taking water over the bow, but with the floor full of YFT. It would be scarey at time then for safety and so we thought usability we jumped to a 25ft proline cuddy, it turned out to be the biggest waste for us. The bed was catch all, the stove never used, the ice box was so-so, but the toilet was handy....the worst part was NO ONE could stay in the cabin area for very long without getting that "uneasy" feeling...it was just too tight not enough open space. So, after about 8 years, I went full circle back to a center console and still to this day I perfer a CC over a cuddy......Now, I do have plastic around the CC with wings to keep the wind-driven spray from soaking us and to cut the cold air, but its the best choice for me......it may not be the best for you. I would strongly suggest before you buy...try it. I trailer and always have, let me tell you setting on a trailer or at a slip is totally different then being offshore rocking (sideways) in 3-4 ft seas...get into that type of sea and step down into the cabin and see if it works for you......Everyone, has their own way and their own opinion on this subject thats why manufactures make both types of boats in simliar sizes......get the one that works best for you...I did and have never been happier. Remember driving into a sea and being in the cabin is one thing, but also try drifting with the sea also, see both effects.....good luck boat hunting

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For me the cabin features out weigh the CC. I can leave most of my tackle on board, a head you can stand up in, store my daughters boards and stuff, a place to take a nap at the dock, and more room to stay dry and warm.