gulfstream vs islander

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and from staten island ny. I picked up my first boat about 2 years ago which is an 88 seafarer. I love the boat and would not want anything other than a grady going forward. That being said I'm looking to upgrade to something bigger and I'm looking for your opinions. Right now I'm torn between 2 boats, a 98 gulftream with a 250 yamaha or a 95 268 islander also with a 250 yamaha and a 9.9 kicker. Bigger boat with a smaller beam, or smaller boat with a wider beam? I don't know which way to go. cockpit size is about the same. So I'm looking for some input. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gw204

Reaction score
I'm sure that owners of those two boats w/ that power will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the general concensus is that a single 250 is marginal at best on both of those hulls.

Reaction score
I thought 250 might be a little small for the islander, but too small for the gulfstream?

Reaction score
OK, how about this then, Powerplants aside, Which hull would you guys prefer?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm curious too as we have been looking at Sailfish vs Islander. Here are my random thoughts on the three.

I would think the Islander is going to be a 'bigger' boat as it's 4' longer than the Gulf.

I have not seen an Islander in person yet, however my understanding is that the cabin is a lot bigger than the Gulfstream, for one thing there's a seperate head compartment.

It also seems twin 150's on either is a good choice, although I have wondered how a 300 single would do on the Islander, like a e-tec or suzuki. That is a consideration for me with thoughts of getting rid of an old 2-stroke smoker/gas hog.

The Islander is the only one out of the three that is legal width for towing (without permit) if that's any consideration. If we decided to keep one on a trailer I may give that some consideration.

There is about ten thousand cost difference for comparable Saifish vs Islander, so that is a consideration for me. The mid-birth and beam on the Sailfish are it's pro's for me.

The 265 Express is my favorite, but the lack of recessed decks on the walk around (for our dogs), and no cabin table, are a deal killer for us. The cockpit layout is superior in my opinion, as is the helm.

EDIT: BTW, Welcome to the forum!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Both boats are biggest cabin models offered by Grady with single engine option, one trailerable with no restrictions, as was stated. Both boats are similar weight.

Unless you trailer, both will satisfy, if overnighting is important, weight cabin differences, if the admiral is on deck, she wil decide so don't sweat it. If admiral is off duty, then base it on condition and preferred ride after sea trial, go out on tough water day, not lake condition.

Reaction score
I would LOVE to get the 265 express. The center helm design is awesome, but thats about 25-30k more then what I'm willing to spend. Ideally I don't want to spend more then 25-30k. And I'm looking to get the most boat for my money.
Which boat is going to give the better ride, (I would imaging the sailfish and the gulfstream would be similiar becuase they have the same beam or close to it) the sailfish/gulfstream or islander? wide beam or narrow beam?

wlewis

Reaction score
I have a 250 on my Gulfstream and the power is fine. When I bought it, I also considered the same two boats as you, but found a nice 23 and bought it. I especially like the wide beam and the cockpit space. I've had it 11 years now and have no regrets.

Hokie

Reaction score
the beam to width ratio means the Islander rides better as the 232 pounds more. I have a 268 and have been on a 232. The 232 is more stable on a drift but the 268 does fine. I really like the euro transom on my 268 but some may not like it. i agree that a walk around has many advantages over the 265 like over all usable "boat" space but the 265 is pretty. The 27 is the best but you pay for it and if its ride you really want in this size boat get a carolina classic 25(not a walk around and I owned one). overall, I really like my 268 for many reasons and not a lick of trouble with the 98 250 OX66, nok on wud.
by the way, if you have 4 fat people in the back and a tank of fuel, you aint gettin up on plane(had to shift the fatties and burry the tabs this past July 4th goin to see the fire works)

Jas

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Gulfstream with a Yamaha 250 EFI and I’m very happy with the boat. Like yourself I also looked at the Islander (and Sailfish) and maybe if I could have found an Islander in good shape that’s what I’d have now. Regardless… I really did want twin engines, but ultimately couldn’t swing it this round. I did like that the GS is still in production, the headroom below decks worked well and somewhat unique was that the GS had a bunk bed, perfect for a family.

As stated here in other forums, you should be concerned with HP. If you’re a speed demon, well then neither of these powerplants really works for you. For me the 250 works good enough. It get’s on plane easily, is great for small fishing groups and family cruising. That’s what I do. (Following and quartering seas can be problematic, but really just require a little more concentration.) Yes I’d like more HP, but then again I’d like an Express 33, so there’s always next time. Also anytime I have maintenance or repair on the single Yamaha I am quick to remind myself that it’s only one engine vs. two so there is always that price component to consider as well. At about 27’ LOA, a 9.3 beam and SeaV2 hull my GS feels like a much bigger boat and definitely does not pound.

If you’ve got it narrowed down to two excellent choices in the two models you’ve picked, you’re in pretty good shape. Buyers market for boats right now.

Reaction score
In my continued search I found a 93 sailfish with twin 200 yamahas that is really nice. I think I'll nix the gulfstream all though I like it the best b/c you get ALOT of boat for 23ft, however it doesn't have a seperate head and I'm usually with mixed company and that becomes an issue.
So; Now we are left with a 93 salifish and a 95 islander with a 3k price difference.
The plot thickens....
Advice please.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Condition is everything. I would choose the one that has been taken care of the best, and has the least number of things that need fixing or restoring.

Are you trailering or mooring the boat? You need a BIG truck to haul either one, the Sailfish requiring something really big, like a dually or a diesel. If you are mooring, better check on size, cost, and availability of a slip for the size of boat. A Sailfish with a pulpit and tilted outboards is well over 30'.

Let us know what they have for power, hours, maint records, etc. Repower is epensive no matter how you do it, even if you find good used motors. A pair of good used 200 HPDI's might be a good way to go if your choice has run-out engines. You're still looking at ten grand give or take to do that, new yamaha four strokes are closer to 30g's.

Reactions: Lobster226

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Islander is cheaper to run but the Sailfish should have a better ride and has more room (never been on an Islander). A 1500 will tow either boat if it's a short distance and flat, on a longer distance get a 2500/250HD at a min. If the Sailfish has a bracket it's basically a 28' boat.

Go out in somewhat nasty seas and see how the tow boats perform and whatever you do get a survey.

Reaction score
Im not really concerned with what it takes to tow the boat beacuse I would keep it at the marina. I am however, concerned with the cost to run it. Having 400hp is nice but I gotta believe they are pretty thirsty. Then again one 250 is going to work pretty hard to push the islander. Right?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 2002 Islander 270 new in March 2002 with a single 250HP OX66. We put 465 hours on it, so I can fairly comfortable assessing that arrangement.

That boat is rated at 500HP, so with 50% power it was adequate. Cruise was 22-24kts, and WOT was 30.5kts. Both with full load, top, curtains, etc. Engine was very powerful, very reliable, and very thirsty. We usually got 1.2-1.3nm/gal, but it could drop to 1.0nm/gal quickly in a chop, or if you pushed the throttle up past best cruise speed. The beast also loved that 2S Yamalube...

We repowered in Nov 2005 to twin F150s, and now have over 600hrs on them. So again, I can speak from experience.

The 270 with F150s is a different boat than with the single OX66. Cruise is 25-28kts, with WOT of 37.5kts. Cruise economy is about 1.6-1.7nm/gal, at the higher cruise speed. WOT is still 1.2nm/gal, but we rarely run that way for long.

While you may compare the 232 and 268/270, the Sailfish is a different animal. Has to be twin power, and the 200HPDIs were great (same on the 265).

If you are looking at older boats and engines, make sure you know if the engines are carbed, EFI, or DFI. It makes a BIG difference on fuel economy. And, while that certainly affects your $$$/nm, it also affects your safe operating range with the installed fuel. That was the primary reason we repowered - to be "canyon-capable" with the 150gal tank.

So, you also need to look at the installed tankage on the boat. I don't know about the older Gulfstream, but the 268 Islander had 136 gallon main tank.

Best wishes in your search.

Brian

Reaction score
Funny that you replied ocnslr. I was just looking through the gallery for islander pics and I noticed you have one with a single 250 and I was just going to send you a pm.
I don't know what model the engines are on the sailfish. After speaking with the owner he says that they have been serviced every year by the marina and will give me the service records. One just had the pwerhead replaced. It has a 202 gal gas tank that was replaced last year.
On the islander I'm still waiting to hear back from the owner but it says it only has @300 hours on it.
So lets take a quick poll here:
Of these 2 who would take what and why?

Hokie

Reaction score
I get 1.6 mpg with my 1998 268 and 250 ox66 and this is a very consistant number. top end is 37 mph and cruise at 4200 is 25 mph, full load half tower and 4 people

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hokie said:
I get 1.6 mpg with my 1998 268 and 250 ox66 and this is a very consistant number. top end is 37 mph and cruise at 4200 is 25 mph, full load half tower and 4 people

The 1.2 to 1.3 that I reported was in NM/GAL, which is 1.4-1.5 MPG. And my 30.5kts is 35 MPH, so our numbers are not much different.

Difference could be load, or bottom paint..

I just don't use miles and MPH on the water.... :D

Brian

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
We purchased our 2002 Islander 270 new in March 2002 with a single 250HP OX66. We put 465 hours on it, so I can fairly comfortable assessing that arrangement.

That boat is rated at 500HP, so with 50% power it was adequate. Cruise was 22-24kts, and WOT was 30.5kts. Both with full load, top, curtains, etc. Engine was very powerful, very reliable, and very thirsty. We usually got 1.2-1.3nm/gal, but it could drop to 1.0nm/gal quickly in a chop, or if you pushed the throttle up past best cruise speed. The beast also loved that 2S Yamalube...

We repowered in Nov 2005 to twin F150s, and now have over 600hrs on them. So again, I can speak from experience.

The 270 with F150s is a different boat than with the single OX66. Cruise is 25-28kts, with WOT of 37.5kts. Cruise economy is about 1.6-1.7nm/gal, at the higher cruise speed. WOT is still 1.2nm/gal, but we rarely run that way for long.

While you may compare the 232 and 268/270, the Sailfish is a different animal. Has to be twin power, and the 200HPDIs were great (same on the 265).

If you are looking at older boats and engines, make sure you know if the engines are carbed, EFI, or DFI. It makes a BIG difference on fuel economy. And, while that certainly affects your $$$/nm, it also affects your safe operating range with the installed fuel. That was the primary reason we repowered - to be "canyon-capable" with the 150gal tank.

So, you also need to look at the installed tankage on the boat. I don't know about the older Gulfstream, but the 268 Islander had 136 gallon main tank.

Best wishes in your search.

Brian

Brian gives great advice on the Islander and he knows his stuff. I looked for a 272 Sailfish for a long time and stumbled on my 268 Islander with 200 HPDI's in March of 07.I had heard stories of the fuel consumption on the 272 being high and I wanted to tow on occasion also so I decided on the Islander and have been very happy with my decision.
The 268 is a rocket with the 200's and gets me 1.7 to 1.9 mpg@ 4000 running 32/33 mph. WOT is around 48 mph with a full load.
I think you will be happy with the Islander but I would consider looking for one with twins, there are some deals out there.

Good luck,Gary

rolltide

Reaction score
I studied quite a bit on Islander vs. Sailfish. I ended up with a 1995 27 Sailfish with twin 200's. I get around a mile to the gallon cruising, much past cruising, and she likes a drink. I was looking for a 25, but found a great deal on a 27. I never considered a single drive boat. We make some long runs, and I just like the insurance.

I like the Sailfish for the aft cabin. I duck hunt quite a bit, and it allows me to take 3 guys, and spend a couple nights on the boat.

Towing. I tow with a new Tundra. Almost 400hp, it tows and stops it fine, but I get 7 or 8 mpg towing it, it's ugly. Storage is a lot cheaper. I had a Chevy 1500 before the Toyota, I think it would have killed my Chevy.

I'm 100% satisfied with my decision. The 27 is a lot of boat, I love it. I've fished on a lot of Contenders and Makos. To me the bigger Gradys are in a league of their own.