gulfstream vs whaler conquest

mattdjh

Reaction score
I know this is grady site, and I am a big grady fan having just sold my adventure 208 after 5 years of ownership, but I am starting to open my mind to other brands. I had deposit down on a gulfstream 232 but the transom was rotten. Surveyor said he's never seen that in a newer grady but whatever....

I came across a couple Boston Whaler Conquest 255 lately and have been intrigued. Does anyone have any experience with these boats? Ride quality vs the gulfstream? It would be 2002 or newer boats. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd go to the BW forum to get this answer. A guy I know has a 23 CC and it is a nice rig from fit and finish and ride. Has twin Mercs on it. BWs are on par with GW in my book and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it was what I was looking for.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You haven't mentioned what years you're looking at... My previous boat before my Grady 330 express was a 1999 Whaler 28 Conquest. The ride in to the waves on that boat was NOT great by any standard. It needed a ton of tab to keep the bow down in a head sea (I even modified the tabs with a custom extension because they were too small) but would really pound your fillings out in anything more than a 2 ft wind-driven chop.

That was a strange hull design which they got rid of many years ago: It basically had an integrated bracket so the V did not run the full length of the boat (i.e. it was more like a 25 or 26 foot boat with a bracket). The bow entry was also too shallow because they tried to make more room in the cabin V-berth. It's a bit of an unfair comparison but my 330 Express is just night and day (as it should be).

Anyways, not sure about the 255, but I would DEFINITELY test ride the hull in sloppy seas to see how it handles. I think the Sea V2 hull is a pretty awesome trade off.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I like BW's because, like GW, McKee and Edgewater to name a few, they actually make a truly unsinkable boat.

Most brands do not advertise this because they are legally liable if their "foam filled" boat - sinks. BW however is the real deal on unsinkability (I think they invented it!).

So if you have two boats - say a BW Conquest and a GW Gulfstream - and they are both in mint condition, I'd say it's a bit of a toss up. There are both excellent choices with solid re-sale value. I've been on both and personally think the Gulfstream is a better design (for reasons which I'm too lazy to write up here) and has better "lines" (i.e. looks better on the trailer and in the water - probably due to the SeaVee2 Hull).

But the real tie breaker for me is the engines. Remember, these are POWER boats and the engine is like everything. Here, in my opinion, is where most people (like say 8 out of 10) would choose Yamaha over Mercury. To prove the point, find a service shop that works on ALL brands of outboards. Then ask who is the MOST experienced Mechanic. Ask him (or her) which brand holds up the best over a 10 year period.

In my own 40 years of boating experience, the imperfect Yamaha outboard engine still remains the best one out there. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

In your own particular case, you should determine if there is a reputable Mercury or Yamaha service shop near you. Knowing this can help in your decision. Good luck and happy hunting!

mattdjh

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I’m still looking to buy gulfstream all the way, but I am intrigued by the Boston whalers and the foam construction thing now too. My friend just bought a 250 outrage and it’s impressive, so I’m just wondering about the conquests. It would be 2002 - 2008 that I’m looking at and have no idea how it rides, but I’ve heard that the older whalers pounded through almost everything above 1‘ chop. The rotten transom on that gulfstream I had a deposit on freaked me out a little too...boat was used but presented In good condition.

So long Story short, still number 1 choice is a gulfstream, but looking for any thoughts before I spend time and money hunting down 255 conquest whalers. Found a few but None are close to me. Thanks!