Gunnel Mount Rodholders

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the under gunnel rod holders are attached?

My boat didn’t come with any, and I just bought a set and I’m going to install them this weekend.

It appears that they are only attached in the front by a screw of the bottom and a screw at the top, can anybody confirm that for me? And if that’s not how they’re connected, how are they connected?

There are no screw holes or any type of adhesive on the back of the holders.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpeg
    IMG_1408.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1406.png
    IMG_1406.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

biggarfish

Reaction score
Remove the "kick-board" or whatever you call it and on the horizontal surfaces where the kick-board attaches to you'll need to fabricate, preferably stainless, a short "U" shaped channel piece wide enough to accommodate the bottom section of your rod holder. Put 2 screws vertically through the U shaped piece and into the fibreglass to hold it rigid, then place the rod holder bracket into the channel and then place another screw or two through the channel horizontally to keep the rod holder in place. On my 1988 GW Gulfstream the top section of the rod holder was "kind of pressure fitted" to the hull. There really wasn't anything holding it in place so it did move somewhat. As a footnote I got rid of the "kick board" on both sides of my boat as I prefer to get my feet right up against the vertical part of the hull when dealing with a fish. That extra 4-5" of room meant more to me. The rods can be accommodated up on the hardtop bazooka tubes. Good luck, hope this helps somewhat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree with above. The only thing I'd look at is using an adhesive in addition to the screws on the backside of the U channel to lock it in place.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
This is very helpful. Thanks for the suggestion!

Norcoastal

Reaction score
What’s weird is that there are no screw holes or anything on the rod holders except two in the front??

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 4

Norcoastal

Reaction score
After a little fabricating, I got them to fit. One screw at the bottom and I’m going to add some long ones on top.

I may add brackets on top later.

Attachments

• IMG_7490.jpeg
    IMG_7490.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: PointedRose