Gunnel Rod Holders

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The stockers are pretty ratty. Who makes 'em for Grady? Looking for an exact replacement. Like to get the Grady's but I suspect they are rather pricey. Thanks guys!

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The are stainless, you should be able to take them out and put them on a buffing wheel, with polish rouge and get them looking pretty good.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are Perko's. You can find the exact same ones for about half the price of what Grady charges to get them with the GW imprinted on them...

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I question that they are stainless. Last night, tried cleaning the worst one with stainless polish, nothing; tried polish and a scotch brite pad and it made them worse. If they were solid stainless steel they should clean up with polish and mild abrasive. I read somewhere that they where Lee's. Going to have to take one off and take it over to West Marine to be sure the holes are the same pattern. Am I on the right track? I would be nice if I could clean up the stockers though.

georgemjr

Reaction score
They are Perko 448-2. I just bought a pair from Grady White and stamped right underneath it says just that. GW charged 189.00 per holder, a quick search on the internet shows them for about 119.00 without the GW stamped into them. In addition, the sticker on it about care states: "To maintain the original luster and brightness of exterior, chrome plated hardeware, Perko recommends periodic application of a protective metal polish to gaurd against corrosive atmospheres." It is chrome plated, not stainless which is why it cannot be buffed to new once the chrome plating has been worn or scratched...

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes if they are chromed your aren't going to polish them out, but you might check with a local plater to see if they can be rechromed, you are out 500 bucks for 4 new ones. I might add SS holders are less expense, go figure.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Wow they have gone up in price! I bought two directly from the dealer maybe 4 years ago for $65 each!
Have you called the dealer to confirm pricing?
Tim

georgemjr

Reaction score
I definitely researched it before I spent the money. It is now what they go for. Gman added 3 to his boat a few years back and bought them for a lot less also. I glanced at the screen in the dealer when they were up. It showed Grady's cost as 119.00. There is one on ebay, new, with some scratches for 143.00. I wish I wasn't as anal as I am, I would have bought the Perko's without the GW stamp and saved some money. I could have got those at cost from a marine distributer for 70 bucks each.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents, I don't really feel like fooling with chrome. Who makes the equivalent in stainless steel. Is it 316 and does it look like the railings, cleats, etc?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents, after researching cost for stainless steel, I decided to get the stockers chrome plated for $30/each. We'll see how this goes and hopefully post some pics when they're done. Hopefully I can get another 13-years out of them.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you getting them rechromed locally or are you sending them out? What type of place will do it? $30 seems reasonable. Please post pics!

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
I had my rod holders re-plated by a place in Philadelphia called Franklin platers. They quoted me 25 bucks a piece. When I go there the manager told me the quote was too low but would honor it anyway. I had six of them done for 150 bucks and they came out excellent. The are known for antique and classic cars, motorcycles and boat parts. They triple plate the parts with a heavy copper base then nickle and finally chrome. I am very pleased with the work. For the price of one new one I had all six of them done better than the manufacturer's plating. They are on the Web and get parts from all over the country.

Ed

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pretty nice Ed! I'm courious how my guys do this inscription. Did you fill that in or did it come back like that?

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
I received them back like that. I haven't put any polish on them yet either. The photo quality isn't that great as I took the photo with my phone. I will try some more photos tonight. I didn't realize my setting was too high so I couldn't load the other photos I took.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My chrome guy just called to say mine were done. Hope they look good as yours do. Was thinking about the gasket/cap arrangement but figured that was too much foo-foo.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
I thought about it as well but it took so long the get them back I just wanted to be done with them. Also the installation was a pain as I had to remove the "wings" under the gunnels and reseal everything. I'm sure yours will turn out great. In this economy businesses want return customers and expansion through work of mouth. let us know how they turn out.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They look outstanding! What did they look like before? Scratched, pitted, other corrosion? Mine are scratched pretty badly - 6 of them. I found a company in Fall River MA that will do them for $35 ea or more, depending on what condition they're in.

Seems like a project just to get them out- any issues here?

Thanks