Gunnel Thickness

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone know the approximate thickness of the gunnel on a '00 Seafarer? I'm getting ready to install outrigger base and want to make sure my hole saw is deep enough to cut on the angle. thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
I can't see it being more than 1/2 to 3/4 inch, especially if the gunwale top is simply glassed over plywood. You can unscrew one of your rod holders to be 100% sure.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
richie rich said:
I can't see it being more than 1/2 to 3/4 inch, especially if the gunwale top is simply glassed over plywood. You can unscrew one of your rod holders to be 100% sure.

I think closer to double that thickness.. at least on our Islander.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is probably close to 1" inch depending on what the lay up is, but that is a more beefed up area of the boat typically since they get stood on a lot and rod holders are mounted there, this part of the boat also adds rigidity to the boat itself. Your hole saw shouldnt have a problem getting through. Best of luck with the install!!

bhemi

Reaction score
I think well over an inch

I put a bbq on bayonet mounts on my port gunnel and I think the plugs were over 1 1/2" . The guy who helped me was amazed at the amount of material. My boat is a '92 Marlin but I think Grady put a lot of material in this area on all their boats. Why not phone Grady and ask?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob
I'm not sure. I could have pulled a rod holder and measured but thought asking would be easier. I'll make sure and meaure once the hole is cut.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you get the more expensive hole saws, with the removable chucks, they can go the deepest.

If it doesn't work for me, after bottoming out, I would chop out the stub in there (cut it down the middle then split it in half), then continue on.