GW 205 Questions

Gfish

Reaction score
Hello - I am looking at purchasing a 2005 GW 205 Tournament with 160 hours on a Yamaha F225. I have searched and read all the posts on the 205 and I am interested in feedback on how the Yamaha F225 performs on this boat. Compression has been tested and came back fine.

This boat also includes a trailer and would be interested to hear how easy or not easy it is to tow.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same setup.

Mine ran all day long at 32-34 mph and would top out at 47 or so. Plenty of torque to pull a skier.

I loved the boat...sold it after 2 months for one reason and one reason only...I am 6'3" tall. I could not run the boat standing up while on a plane because the throttle was too low. The side mount binnacle that GW uses in this configuration just didn't work for me and I missed it when I sea-trialed the boat. If I ever get a 225, it won't be an issue as the dash design and throttle position is different.

Mine sat on a 6000 capacity Continental Tandem Aluminum Trailer and I towed it with a late model Yukon. Launching and loading was not difficult at all.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions....

timberxx

Reaction score
I also have a 205. I have had is for just over a year now. I love the boat. It is pretty easy to tow with my V6 Tacoma. I am also 6'3" and find the binnacle too low.

I have the F200, but only hit a top speed of 37 mph.

I have nothing but good things to say. The head of course is very small, but that is was can be expected from a 20 footer. I always seem to have problems with the freshwater tank, it also seems to clog up with algae (but this could be my fault). The seats are comfortable, but I wish mine came with bolsters. I don't like that the supply tank for the trim tabs is so buried in the console, it was difficult to get to.

Good luck with your search. It took me over a year to find my 205, so if you like it, take it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Timberxx....not to hijack the OP thread, but if you are only seeing 37 mph, something is wrong.

What prop are you turning and what rpm do you see at WOT? Are you reading the speed via GPS or from the speedo on the dash (which may be reading from a clogged pitot in the lower unit.)

Gfish

Reaction score
Not a lot of responses, but one of the downfalls of the GW 205 is the lack of storage underneath the floor. Otherwise, I like everything about the boat!