GW 225 Offshore?

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
How far have you run your 225 offshore? How does it handle 2-4's? Any other problems or observations on how it performs as a small offshore boat?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 226 has a similar weight distribution as the 225. I run it out 25-50 miles on a typical grouper trip. It's been out 70 miles for snapper.

The hull will handle 2-4 ft waves on long runs even with a fairly short period. Anything bigger and you'll probably need to get off plane and stick your bow up unless the period is long enough to keep them far apart.

You need to pick your days, be very weather aware, and run with another boat when possible.

Bama96

Reaction score
I routinely bottom fish out 25 miles in the Gulf. The problem is the wave period and 4' waves stacked would not be comfortable in this boat. I don't go out in anything over 2' to 3' forecast and prefer 1' to 2'. That being said there are not many 22' boats that can fish and run in what this boat can. I had a 222 Fisherman and the 225 Tournament out rides it. Same hulls but the full transom and bracket makes a difference as well as weigh distribution in this boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have a 228 and fish it not as much as I would like. Most species I target I can get to within 40 miles of the coast and I pick my days, have my Garmin auxillary GPS with XM weather radar on it, as well as my ditch bag with the handheld EPIRB, vhf radio, and other emergency items in it. If you fish offshore a great deal maybe a membership in either Sea Tow or Tow Boat US would be a nice piece of mind as well.

As far the hull goes it handles 2 to 3s fine and if the period is right, 4s are ok too when running. I like the performance in the same seas when trolling too. If you use the boat inland on lakes, the intercoastal areas and so forth, you will likely love the boat. It is a good watershprts hull, and the size is big enough to go offshore and small enough to put in the water by yourself. I tend to think the Grady's 22s are a great compromise boat for doing it all on a budget and with some comfort too.