GW 228 I/O

Roger R

Reaction score
I owned a GW 228 I/O Approx 35 years ago. I used it for years when involved with the CG Auxillary. It was the best boat I ever owned and very.ecnoomical.
Chances are rare but if anyone would know of one that has one for sale with trailer I would pay a premium.
I do not log on to the forum often but I will try to make a habit of looking for a reply every couple of weeks.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I believe the inboard version was called the 227 Seafarer. The 226 has the notched transom and the 228 has the Grady pod/bracket which is the model I have. But I could be wrong ;)

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi. My son actually has a 1987 Seafarer with an I/O he is planning on selling in the Spring of 2021. The boat was my dads (his grandfather's). We are only the second family to own it. We know the boat. We repowered the engine about 5 years ago. Put a 350 in it that we bought from a Canadian stern drive dealer. Motor has about 400 hours of which most was in fresh water. New risers and manifolds 2 years ago along with a new fuel tank. The drive is the original OMC drive which is actually very sound. Seals were always maintained. Cabin cushions were new 2 seasons ago. Decks are firm, transom is dry. It is a soft top with the Bimini canvas and side curtains. Boat is a trailer that is good for local transport, but not to Florida. We are located on Long Island, NY. Getting the boat to Florida should be an issue. Please send my a private message and we can talk further.

Oceanbean
2004 Sailfish 282

Roger R

Reaction score
Hi. My son actually has a 1987 Seafarer with an I/O he is planning on selling in the Spring of 2021. The boat was my dads (his grandfather's). We are only the second family to own it. We know the boat. We repowered the engine about 5 years ago. Put a 350 in it that we bought from a Canadian stern drive dealer. Motor has about 400 hours of which most was in fresh water. New risers and manifolds 2 years ago along with a new fuel tank. The drive is the original OMC drive which is actually very sound. Seals were always maintained. Cabin cushions were new 2 seasons ago. Decks are firm, transom is dry. It is a soft top with the Bimini canvas and side curtains. Boat is a trailer that is good for local transport, but not to Florida. We are located on Long Island, NY. Getting the boat to Florida should be an issue. Please send my a private message and we can talk further.

Oceanbean
2004 Sailfish 282

Roger R

Reaction score
I am not familiar with a “private message”. Could you send me a email (mossyheadroger@aol.com) so that we can set up a time to discuss your 228 via phone conference? I’m very interested.
Roger Stenzel

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Attachments

• Grady Pictures - 3 of 24 (2).jpeg
    Grady Pictures - 3 of 24 (2).jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Grady Pictures - 7 of 24 (3).jpeg
    Grady Pictures - 7 of 24 (3).jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Grady Pictures - 8 of 24 (2).jpeg
    Grady Pictures - 8 of 24 (2).jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Grady Pictures - 9 of 24 (3).jpeg
    Grady Pictures - 9 of 24 (3).jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Grady Pictures - 16 of 24 (3).jpeg
    Grady Pictures - 16 of 24 (3).jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Grady Pictures - 19 of 24 (2).jpeg
    Grady Pictures - 19 of 24 (2).jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Grady Pictures - 20 of 24 (2).jpeg
    Grady Pictures - 20 of 24 (2).jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 1

Roger R

Reaction score
Hi Roger, I resent the email with the pictures. But here there are as well.

best regards,

Ed
TU Ed- looks like the twin I owned many years ago. I guess it is time to ask what you would like to have ($$).
Also, I believe one of your folks who originally brought the boat to my attention said it would be in the spring before selling?
i am 82 shortly to 83 the good Lord willing. My sons all have RV’s and we fish several of the reservoirs
here in Montana. Fort Peck being the largest and at times dangerous.
We have been renting,however, the price for renting has doubled for 1921, that is if a boat will be available to rent. I told my sons it’s time for me to buy the boat. Guess I can call that payback and economics.
So that’s my story and although GW I/0’s have been discontinued for many years, and, I loved my GW back in the ‘90’s, my concern is the condition of stringers, transom etc. I do not want to get into an extended restoration project
The other is logistical, however, that may be able to be worked out.
So with all that said let me hear from you.
Again, thank you and be safe

Roger
Bozeman, Montana
PS where is

southbay

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Roger, this is Ryan and I am the owner of the 1988 Seafarer we sent information on. If you are OK to discuss details over email, we can take the conversation there, or I am happy to hop on a phone call. Speak Soon.