GW 232 Gulfstream twin 150's or twin 200's?

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Long time lurker....I've owned a 1993 Adventure for 15+ years and really like it.
I am looking at moving up to a Gulfstream 232. The first boat is a 2004 with twin yammie four stroke 200's (550 hours). Reasonable condition for age. Transom repaired due to water intrusion. Other boat is a 2009 with twin yammie four stroke 150's (650 hours). Reasonable condition.
About $10k difference in price.
Any thoughts?
Thoughts on speed/performance between the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Len

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Long time lurker....I've owned a 1993 Adventure for 15+ years and really like it.
I am looking at moving up to a Gulfstream 232. The first boat is a 2004 with twin yammie four stroke 200's (550 hours). Reasonable condition for age. Transom repaired due to water intrusion. Other boat is a 2009 with twin yammie four stroke 150's (650 hours). Reasonable condition.
About $10k difference in price.
Any thoughts?
Thoughts on speed/performance between the 2?
Thanks in advance.
Len

Hey Len:

I owned a 232 for 11 years with twin F200's. The boat was an 07, engines were 06's.

I wouldn't have a Gulfstream with anything but twin 200's. The 150's are fine, but the 200's will cruise a bit faster, work less and be at or near the same MPG as the 150 combo.

My stats were as follows:
3700RPM- 29-30MPH at 2.0 to 2.1 MPG.
3900RPM: 31-32MPH at 2.0 MPG
4400RPM (Hi-end cruise) 36-37MPH 1.7MPG.

These numbers were achieved with bottom paint.

The 232 will obviously be a bit more stern-heavy with the 200's; not so much if you opt for the new I-4's later on... My scuppers were always 1/2 way submerged and I didn't ever care or worry about it. The cockpit drained water without any problems; it really didn't matter. The 150's will likely raise the scuppers above the waterline if that is a concern.

This opinion/information is given by me without regard for the condition of the boats your considering. If one tuns out to be significantly in better shape, therefore translating to a better deal, then the engine choice becomes only part of the equation. The 150's will certainly do the job; I just prefer the 200's.

One more thing to mull over. My F200's had the dry exhaust corrosion problem. Some of the 200's (unfortunately, mine) fell into that category of affected engines along with all the 225's of that same era. I don't believe the 150's had that problem. if you lean toward the 2004 boat with the 200's make sure the engines are not affected by that issue. They are thousands to repair and it's on us.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hey Len:

I owned a 232 for 11 years with twin F200's. The boat was an 07, engines were 06's.

I wouldn't have a Gulfstream with anything but twin 200's. The 150's are fine, but the 200's will cruise a bit faster, work less and be at or near the same MPG as the 150 combo.

My stats were as follows:
3700RPM- 29-30MPH at 2.0 to 2.1 MPG.
3900RPM: 31-32MPH at 2.0 MPG
4400RPM (Hi-end cruise) 36-37MPH 1.7MPG.

These numbers were achieved with bottom paint.

The 232 will obviously be a bit more stern-heavy with the 200's; not so much if you opt for the new I-4's later on... My scuppers were always 1/2 way submerged and I didn't ever care or worry about it. The cockpit drained water without any problems; it really didn't matter. The 150's will likely raise the scuppers above the waterline if that is a concern.

This opinion/information is given by me without regard for the condition of the boats your considering. If one tuns out to be significantly in better shape, therefore translating to a better deal, then the engine choice becomes only part of the equation. The 150's will certainly do the job; I just prefer the 200's.

One more thing to mull over. My F200's had the dry exhaust corrosion problem. Some of the 200's (unfortunately, mine) fell into that category of affected engines along with all the 225's of that same era. I don't believe the 150's had that problem. if you lean toward the 2004 boat with the 200's make sure the engines are not affected by that issue. They are thousands to repair and it's on us.

Great info, thanks Magicalbill! The 04 with the 200's had the exhaust fix done. Engine inspection confirmed it and compression was good. Boat sea trialed well, top speed was 48mph at 5800 rpm. I am going to look at the 09 with twin 150's. Being newer with latest cockpit design with the folding aft seat, it is probably 'shinier'. It does have autopilot and a windlass that the 04 doesn't have. Otherwise, comparable boats. The $10k difference includes the cost of a new trailer for the 04 (the 09 has one). I am leaning toward the twin 200's, I have never owned a boat where I thought I would prefer less horsepower. The GW website performance comparison indicates comparable fuel consumption and performance, 200's top speed 52, 150's 48, so not much difference there.
Thanks again and take care.
Len

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great info, thanks Magicalbill! The 04 with the 200's had the exhaust fix done. Engine inspection confirmed it and compression was good. Boat sea trialed well, top speed was 48mph at 5800 rpm. I am going to look at the 09 with twin 150's. Being newer with latest cockpit design with the folding aft seat, it is probably 'shinier'. It does have autopilot and a windlass that the 04 doesn't have. Otherwise, comparable boats. The $10k difference includes the cost of a new trailer for the 04 (the 09 has one). I am leaning toward the twin 200's, I have never owned a boat where I thought I would prefer less horsepower. The GW website performance comparison indicates comparable fuel consumption and performance, 200's top speed 52, 150's 48, so not much difference there.
Len

Your welcome: Happy to chime in.

Two More Things:

1.) You'll appreciate a windlass on that boat. it's a pretty "robust" 23 footer.

2.)Remember your 9' 6" on the 232 so your overwide for trailering purposes. I never worried much about it 'till Fishtales mentioned the insurance might not cover you in the event of an accident without proper permits.

So now I'm curious..keep us in the loop as to your choice!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd take either but the more HP (within limits) the better if you ask me. Twins versus a single is the overriding factor in my book.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'll be the contrarian here and vote for the NEWer boat with 10 year old 150s and autopilot and windlass and trailer.
You say the speed and stats are nearly the same. How often do you need to go 52 instead of 48?
The '04 motors are 5 years closer to needing replacement, 5 years more corrosion, 5 years closer to needing an expensive part...

That third 5 years is a lot.

I say this while considering price. Seems you will be paying up for 200s that are 15 years old.
Now if you can significantly discount the '04 to the point that an eventual repower won't kill you then I'd go that way.

Reactions: VeroWing

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I appreciate all the feedback and advice. I originally was thinking the same as what SkunkBoat noted, a 10 year old boat vs. a 15 year old boat and motors. Turns out the difference is more like $16k between the two (no negotiation room on newer one). The 04 pricing was based on a new trailer, the motors had the exhaust 'fix' done by Yamaha. I am most likely going for the 04. I'll keep you posted.
Len