GW 232 Throttle/Shift cables

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
When I purchased my GW 232 with twin 150’s last year I was told the starboard throttle and shift cable was replaced. Not sure why both weren’t done in pairs but that is another story. During the summer noticed both idle at the same rpm but when moving forward the port engine lags rpm’s (nearly 1400 rpm’s at full throttle). Both engines run smooth. Babied it and ran both at the same knowing I would get resolved for 2022.

Engines are original with 1280 hours. Have looked at linkage and nothing noticeable. Research showed cable could be stretched or worse in areas I can’t see. Replace one or both cables at this point? Anything else to consider? Note no other record of cables having been replaced in documents provided.

Snow starting to melt so ordering parts for 2022!

seasick

Reaction score
Most likely linkage needs to be adjusted at the motor to take slack out of the throttle cable. If that is the case, I would expect that it may be difficult to get the same WOT revs on that motor. Make sure that the bracket that holds down the outer sheath of the cable at the motor is not loose or broken.
Another possibility is that when the cable was replace, the new one was installed at the control using the wrong holes on the actuator lever inside the control box. Hopefully that is not the case since it is a real pain to change. Without the original rigging instructions, you would have to take apart both controls for both motors and compare what holes the cable ends are connected to. Take pics and be careful, it is easy for things to pop out of place

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Before going too far, compare the two WOT throttle positions on the motors. Advance the port shifter all the way forward, disconnect the cable at the motor end, and see if the throttle will even advance any further than the cable moves it.

Reactions: PointedRose

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Before going too far, compare the two WOT throttle positions on the motors. Advance the port shifter all the way forward, disconnect the cable at the motor end, and see if the throttle will even advance any further than the cable moves it.
Thanks for the advice. Will be another wee or two before I can take the cover off and start playing.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have had the throttle cable clip pop up and the cable was able to move. Use the above advice to check cable limits first.

I did all four cables a couple of years ago but mine were stiff. Found damaged jacket and rusty 23 yo cable.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Went back and looked at the repair slip and the shop told the previous owner he should replace both. Owner refused for some reason three years ago. The one set replaced described as a cut (split) and serious rust. More to come.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I recently had a drop off in RPM at WOT with my Evinrude ETec.....traced the issue to the throttle body on the motor itself. There was a plastic roller on the mechanism that advances the throttle that had broken and fallen off. Cost me about $9.99

Attachments

• Throttle.jpg
    Throttle.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 10