GW 265 a few Questions I am confused

SlimJim

Reaction score
ok I now have my 265, took her out for the 1st time on Wed. Wow! Shes fast. I have a lot to learn about her. A few questions, I have the 3 battery set up with charger. Where the cutting boards are over the batterys is there a insert box that comes with the that sits over the batterys? My boat has no boxes? If so where can I buy two of them? Also what tank is the AX tank and what is the main tank? The reason I ask is that the filler thats closest to the stern (as you are on the boat and looking at them to one to the right) is marked AX and the one to the left or bow of the boat is marked Main, but when I filled her up my main was showing empty and ax full, but the main is full from the fuel managent gauge and the Ax is low 2 or 3 bars. So is the mark wrong? They are stick labels.

Enough Already

Reaction score
You are definitely missing drop-in boxes if you lift the lids and see the batteries. I temporarily lost one at the marina after hurricane Wilma and came to a dead end on replacements. Can't get them from the dealer or Grady. Fortunately, mine showed up a week later. You really need them because the lids are not water-tight. Also, not positive the lids are really cutting boards either. Can't help on the gas fills for sure but believe the front is for the main and the rear is for the aux. I’d have to go to my boat to confirm. I'm sure someone will come along with the exact answer soon.

Congrats on the 265 !!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There should be drop in boxes there, they will be hard to find unless Grady has them or can get them. Otherwise they will need to be custom built to fit, using someone else's as a template would work. As for your tanks, the main is forward under the helm, and the aux is under the cockpit. I use my main tank mostly, I've gotten a better ride and better efficiency that way, but I will fill my aux and use it jsu so that no gas sits around in it. When I make long runs and need both tanks, I burn the Aux off first. I believe the markings are correct that you have. Good luck with the boat!!!

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Hey SlimJim,

On page 8-16 of the 265 owners manual you will find the fuel tanks set up and the fill hoses configuration. If you don't have an owners manual send me your email address and I will send it your way. I just purchased mine 3 weeks ago and had the same question prior to running the boat up the coast to Long Island.

Good Luck with her, She's a beauty

SlimJim

Reaction score
ok, so when you are on the boat and looking at the fill caps, witch one is the main? Is it the one closest to the bow (left)? The reason I asked is for some reason mine are showing backwards With the gauges and the markings on the fill caps.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
jim did u toggle the fuel selector switch?
grady has owners manuals free on their site
make sure u save me a shot of that good T u got in mexi please, lol

eppem

Reaction score
all good replies

basically the main tank sit "forward" of the auxillary tank...they dont hold that much difference in fuel and i think you will find that most of us run off the main tank and use teh aux tank for longer offshore runs where we need the range.

1) with what i just said in mind, think main is in front? press the toggle switch forward and that reads the main tank, flip it back and your look at levels in the aux tank. fuel up...main tank fill is "in front, or to the right" of the aux filler"...i am doing this from the top of my head as the boat is covered but pretty sure this is correct.

2) owners manual, download from the grady website and then save it to your pc..i have a file that just says BOAT STUFF

3) battery box inserts...a must have, great for keeping soap and brushes, i dont use them for cold drinks....keeps the battery area out of the weather and dry...call grady, theymust have a source for them, or an aftermarket source?

SlimJim

Reaction score
Re: all good replies

eppem said:
basically the main tank sit "forward" of the auxillary tank...they dont hold that much difference in fuel and i think you will find that most of us run off the main tank and use teh aux tank for longer offshore runs where we need the range.

1) with what i just said in mind, think main is in front? press the toggle switch forward and that reads the main tank, flip it back and your look at levels in the aux tank. fuel up...main tank fill is "in front, or to the right" of the aux filler"...i am doing this from the top of my head as the boat is covered but pretty sure this is correct.

2) owners manual, download from the grady website and then save it to your pc..i have a file that just says BOAT STUFF

3) battery box inserts...a must have, great for keeping soap and brushes, i dont use them for cold drinks....keeps the battery area out of the weather and dry...call grady, theymust have a source for them, or an aftermarket source?
OK Thanks, some good info. My Question is where the filler caps are......witch one is the Main and witch one is the Aux filler cap? I have the toggle switch down and I understand the main tank is under the helm and the aux tank is under the cockpit aft. The problem is my Fuel Management Gauge reads the MAIN tank is full, but the FILLER cap is SHOWING that the AUX Tank is full when I filled up the tanks. SO WHAT FILLER CAP IS THE MAIN AND WHAT FILLER CAP IS THE AUX? I am showing that when you are on the boat and looking at the filler caps the one to the LEFT (OR closest to the BOW is tagged at MAIN and the one to the right (closest to the stern) is the AUX. I really do need the inserts boxes, if anyone has any idea where I can get both of them that would be great. I will also call Grady. THANKS GUYS! And Rich if you ever do come see my boat I will have a few shots for you (after you work on my engines of course lol) :lol:

SlimJim

Reaction score
twinyams265 said:
the main tank/filler is the "left" or "forward" one , the rear (closest to stern) is the aux. filler
OK THANKS! Now I don't understand why my fuel gauge is showing the main is full when its the AUX thats full? Hmmmm I need to check it out again.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Yes it is I have it now, My Aux is full and my Main has 2 bars out of 8. So I guess I have 32 gallons in the main tank? Thanks everyone for your posts.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Always remember that the last bar should be assumed as empty, you will never be able to fully use all the fuel in a tank, you will never get the last 10 or so gals out of each due to conditions and where the suction it. I've found the fuel management on my 265 is very accurate, but every boat may vary. Only way to know is to really fill it and then monitor your burn and refill it, I was able to do this from a few consecutive offshore runs, it was super close.

SlimJim

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
Always remember that the last bar should be assumed as empty, you will never be able to fully use all the fuel in a tank, you will never get the last 10 or so gals out of each due to conditions and where the suction it. I've found the fuel management on my 265 is very accurate, but every boat may vary. Only way to know is to really fill it and then monitor your burn and refill it, I was able to do this from a few consecutive offshore runs, it was super close.
Thanks, Great info. I need more then two bars!!!