GW 275 Tournament Handling/Steering

Reaction score
I have a new-to-me '07 275 Tournament w/T Yamaha 150's and am experiencing some strange steering behavior from this beast. The boat is roll-sensitive and steers unpredictably to speed changes when the trim tabs are down. Changes in engine trim angle in the mix causes more uncertainty.
I know I've got some experience to gain with this boat, but it has more wierd habits than any of the many larger and smaller boats I've had in the past.
Chuck

Grady%20White.jpg

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I am not clear on the issues that you are having from your description. What I can tell you is that this boat is sensitive and needs very little trim and tab to correct it. It also has one very pronounced oddity in steering and that is when you are running with a boat wake from another boat. The boat will ride up on its rails if you let it and you have to steer out of the wake aggressively to mitigate this behavior. I have learned to avoid this situation and/ or to steer out of it fast.

Regarding you comment on running with tabs. On mine I only use the tabs to correct lean nothing more as you really do not need them for anything more from my perspective.

I have a single 350 so there may be other issues with the twin 150's.

gregsteph

Reaction score
I've been running a 275 with twin 150s for 3 years now, and can confirm, as Tashmoo points out, general sensitivity to trim tabs. Use the tabs sparingly -- I am always impressed by how little is required to tackle a load-induced lean.

And, I would also concur that the boat can get 'caught' in a running boat wake -- easy enough to handle with a change of speed or direction, as Tashmoo also points out. Best to handle it quickly, as the boat will run up on the rail and lean rather aggressively.

You might check to be certain that the trim motors run at roughly the same speed and that the twins are staying even as you raise them. I found that my port motor trims slower than the starboard, and sometimes requires a quick bump on its own just to bring them even.

Otherwise -- and I consider the above pretty minimal -- the boat runs true and steady and is predictable.

It did take me a while, as with every other boat I've owned, to get used to the feel. I hope this is the case for you, and that the habits you are seeing start to fade.

Reaction score
GW 275 Handling

Thanks for the replies and advice. Trim tab sensitivity is a likely problem source. I am also used to bringing the bow down in a sea condition which makes the problem worse and even brings on some cavitation.

Have you adjusted the engine steering tab zincs or are they at neutral?

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2010 Tournament 275 with twin 150's and although I've only had it in the water for two months I've already put about 50 hours and 700+ miles on it. It's definitely a heavy boat for its size, and I concur that the trim tabs are very responsive given the size of the boat. I too have experienced the feeling of the boat getting "caught on a rail" and having to be very decisive in steering it off the rail (which isn't that hard to do). The flip side is that the boat tracks very nicely (although following seas are not its best point of sail).

Having moved up from a 21' Seaswirl Striper to my T275 - I'm very happy with the boat and its handling.

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2008 275 with single 350. At slow speeds, I find the boat a little difficult to steer straight, and have found that putting down some trim tabs takes care of the problem

At wot, I run about 5500 rpm and get about 45 mph. I have a hard top, with lots of rod holders, outriggers, and the bottom is painted. The engine when tilted is 99% out of the water at center position, but when I turn the engine, it is 100% out of the water.

Tashmoo, did you make any changes to get yours out of the water?

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Prodiver,

Yes, GW had to modify my boat to get the lower unit lower water pick up out of the water. I have no hard top and think that this is the difference between our boats as they sit in the water. GW removed the stern light bracket (which you do not have on a hard top). This bracket prevents the engine from tilting all the way up by a lot. They next moved the stern light from the center of the transom to the starboard side. They also moved the running light to the bow center. Now when I have a full tank of gas the engine lower pickup is just barely out of the water but it is out and I have had no further problems.

Reaction score
Prop performance T-150's on 275 Tournament

I have now tried 3 sets of props with interesting results.....

The 1st set is the Yamaha RELIANCE 14 1/4 x 17. Top rpm: 5500: top speed, 43mph. Best economy and cruise speed to rpm: a little cavitation in med. to heavy seas : no idle rattle.

Mercury ENERTIA 15 x 15: 5600 rpm @ 42mph.; no cavitation; lots of idle rattle.

Power Tech OSC 3-blade 15 1'4 x 15: 5600 rpm @ 41.5mph; 5% lower economy & cruise to rpm; very slight cavitation in seas; no idle rattle with their new hub.

The Yamaha RELIANCE wins, but could not reach 6000rpm.

Chuck