GW 30 Marlin

SHARKN

Reaction score
I picked up my new GW 30 Marlin on Saturday. WOW what a great ride. I will send pics when I figure out how to and get the time. Decision came after getting great info from this site.

Thanks
Sharkn :D

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congratulations..I know the felling - picking up a Sailfish next week. That should satisfy for a couple of years and then on to the Marlin.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What a boat! My big sister !

What made you decide Marlin over the new 305, if you care to share with us?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Sharkn, welcome to the Marlin club :D

I spent two afternoons on mine this pat weekend including anchoring up near a marsh for a picnic lunch with the admiral. With a genset and music, it was perfect on the water. After 4.5 years I still feel like the boat is my new toy. I would have been in the stream one of the days but my main mate/fishing buddy's wife had to appear in court for a speeding ticket. Leadfoot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8 kt winds or less all day. Where has that wx been all Spring.

SHARKN

Reaction score
Bob P
I purchased the Marlin over the 305 based on the cabin feeling bigger and the amound of fishing space.The 305's cabin seemed smaller to me and the family. We spend more time in the back of the boat then in the cabin so that helped the decision.

Rollie

gerrys

Reaction score
Sharkkn.
Congrats and happy boating. Keep us posted on your travels and if you have any questions or concerns, there's plenty of answers and support here.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Long live the Marlin!

Ironically, the Grady sales people at the first showing said the 305 cockpit was the same size, it was an optical illusion.
Even eyeballing it was obvious, didn't need to take out the ruler.

I guess the bridge is larger (longer and wider) to get more seating up there.

Others say the cabin is bigger.

Long live the Marlin!

dunwurkin

Reaction score
Still like the secure feeling you get going from the cockpit to the bow with the walk around on the Marlin, both for us retirees with fish on and the grandkids. Good luck with it and I am sure you made the right choice, but most importantly --- ENJOY!!!

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Grady

That's what so sweet about Grady White, they have 2 boats built on the same hull, yet so different!! The extra seating and larger helm on my 305 to me is a requirement, because of the distances I have to travel to reach the Canyons!! Yet some require the ability to WA for many different reasons and they have the 300 for that. I love my center helm, many love the side captains chair.......some like the sink of the Marlin, I love my extra refrigerated box to put all of my drinks in!! Its great they offer 2 boats that sell to 2 different types of fisherman......and not to mention they both ride pretty darn good!! I have to say I am very impressed with my boat so far........hope you enjoy your new Marlin as well!!!

Gary M

Reaction score
Nice selection SHARKN!

We are just about to celebrate our 2nd anniversary of getting our 2001 Marlin and we love it a lot! In just four weeks, the HEY MON! will be off to the Bahamas on it's 7th trip for us (Bimini), with two more coming in June (Bimini) and July (West End).

You've got plenty of guys here with a wealth of Marlin knowledge to ask any questions that you want. Post some photos when you can. What year, engines, electronics did you get?

Here's what a Marlin looks like tied up to the dock at Cracker P's on Lubber's Quarters in Abaco, Bahamas!!

Abaco2007008.jpg

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congratulations Sharkin, good choice of make and model :)

I think you will be very pleased, I know I am so far.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As previously discussed at length, there are differences in the 305 and 300 which make each more suitable for certain applications. I am a big fan of the 300 layout although there are some aspects of the 305 which I hope (and predict) will make it into he next Marlin overhaul.

It is indeed great that GW offers choices on many models. Based on another recent posting about a factory slowdown during this tough economy, I would not be surprised to see GW pare down the line. There are economies to be gained from fewer models and those with lower demand may not continue in cost cutting times.

GW has more models then similar brands such as Pursuit and BW which has always been a bit surprising to me. There has been mention by many owners for Marlin layout on the 33 hull. GaryM and others have expressed an interest in such a model. Since I have maxed out in size for our marina, my hope is a continually improving 30' model in either a 300 or 305 layout.

I was surprised to hear of so many new larger models coming out in this economy. My guess is they were planned in the 2004-2005 hayday. I just learned of a 41' HS for example. Scout and Pursuit have 35'-37' models to compete with the large cabin outboards pioneered by GW with the 360.

I should not of hijacked the thread but you cannot help but wonder what is good business strategy in the very tough economy for big ticket items.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I really like mine as well.
Great package for fishing, family and cruising.
I think this size hull is a nice fit for many folks. Decent performance and fuel burn coupled with the right features.

Best of luck with her!