GW 330 Express Recommendations

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm looking at two used GW 330 Express boats. One has 2009 Yamaha 250's with 488 hours and the other has 2019 Yamaha 300's with 51 hours.

The one with the 2009 engines has a new generator, has a bow thruster and fairly new Garmin electronics.

The one with the new engines has a generator that doesn't work and does not have a bow thruster. It does have Simrad electronics that are a few years old.

I'm looking for recommendations on which makes more sense assuming that both are the same price? Would 250's be under powered for a 330? I did get a quote for 8-9k to install a bowthruster and I suppose I could use a small portable Generac generator.

I appreciate your help!

Tpartridge

Reaction score
I recently went through nearly the same decision process. One with 2004 250's, working genset, and bow thruster. The other with 2016 300's (200 hours) with sketchy genset and no bow thruster. I spent the extra money and went with the newer engines. Had the boat for a month and have no regrets regarding the bow thruster...she handles really well with twin engines. I'm sure it would be nice in a strong wind/current but, ignorance is bliss :) I did find that opening up the port/starboard canvas radically reduces windage. As for the genset...I'm hoping it's not that big a deal to repair/rebuild but, we'll see. Keeping my expectations low on that front.

Reactions: mg1826

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What year boats? Condition of transoms? Corrosion state of engines? Don’t write off the generator, if FP. Simple 1 cylinder German diesel bullet proof for me. As for 250s vs 300s, I just repowered and 300s are better, but my 250s had 1100 hours and running strong. Maintenance is key, both boat and engines. To me 300s vs 250s are worth 20-30K if identical age/condition.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That is a tough call. It boils down to how you are likely to use the boat. Mine has thruster, but a dead generator. It is rare I wish I had the genny. The thruster gets used a lot. That said, having the sides rolled up makes a huge difference in sail area as noted above. If it came down to it - I'd probably go with the new engines given the info provided and assuming all else is roughly equal - maintenance, cushions, etc.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I admittedly don't know very much about the larger Grady White boats and my 228 Seafarer is tiny in comparison, but I'm very much a numbers guy and do what makes sense with regards to just that... the numbers. The Grady White website no longer gives the "performance data" on a 330 Express with twin F250's on it as it looks like they increased the horsepower ratings years ago but they can be found elsewhere on Google and other sites. For comparison purposes, the GW website says the 330 Express with twin F300's will go 44.6 mph @ 6,000 rpm while burning 51.7 gph of fuel and the optimum cruise is 29.9 mph @ 4,200 rpm while only burning 24 gph of fuel. With twin F250's the GW 330 Express will do a top speed of 41.6 mph @ 5,600 rpm, although the website doesn't give the fuel burn numbers, and they found that a comfortable cruising speed was 28.5 mph @ 4,000 rpm. I have to imagine with those numbers that the F250's will likely do better on fuel economy at WOT and likely even at optimum cruising speeds. For me personally, 41.6 mph is as fast as I need to go in my boat, especially if I was in a 33' boat or even larger and imo on a larger, heavier boat anything over 35 mph or so is just going to be for bragging rights.

The claim for my boat is that it'll do 45 mph as well, and maybe someday I'll test that theory out but it seems to be a waste of fuel, money and I honestly don't need to go that fast in the event of whales, marine life, logs/deadheads, obstructions and so on. It sounds like the twin F250's will definitely get the job done, just depends on the other things like the bow thruster, generator, how often you imagine you'll use them and so forth. I personally like Garmin over the competition, but that's a personal preference. I have to imagine that for a 33' GW that a bow thruster would definitely come in handy rather often and the issue with having someone install one on the newer boat for you would be the time frame as well as parts availability. Is everything in stock or are the parts potentially backordered, and I'd have to assume that just about every marine shop is going to be a minimum of 2-3 weeks out during the months of June, July, August and even September? If I were in your shoes, I'd double check the older F250's, make sure they don't have the dry exhaust corrosion issue, even though I believe they're past the years that had them, buy the older boat, run it for a season or two and if you don't like it then you could always sell it and likely break even at the very least, or even make some money off of it. Good luck!

Last edited:

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You guys are awesome with the quick responses!

Option #1 is a 2004 hull with 2019 Yamaha 300's with 51 hours. It has new fly wire, controls and gauges. It has 2019 Raymarine EVO 12" screens, new isinglass and combing pads. It does not have a bow thruster and the generator is "not working". I'm waiting to schedule a survey to find out exactly what that means about the generator. The generator is a Westerbeke.

Option #2 is a 2007 hull with 2009 Yamaha 250's with 488 hours with fly by wire controls. It has a 2020 GenSet with 45 hours, bow thruster and a full Garmin electronics package (I think 7212s).

Both boats are very clean and are a few thousand apart in price. Really struggling on which to choose.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd personally go with option #2. That's very few hours, it sounds more like a "turn key" boat with more options that's completely ready to go fishing on today and where you wouldn't have to wait for things to be repaired or spend more money on after the initial purchase.

agoltz

Reaction score
We have a 2012 GW 335 Freedom. The boat has two 350s and the transom is rated for 700hp. The newer ones have 3 x 300 and are rated for 900. Either way its a stronger transom which I would prefer.
I would imagine in your case the newer Express has a stronger transom and hence the ability to have a larger engine. (you dont need that power, but I like the extra structural integrity).
As far as the electronics, you know that they get upgraded so often. (I have 2 X Simrad Evo1 which are old and work fine) - I figure if you get 10 years out of them that's fine.
The genset is a tricky one, we chose not to get a generator on the Freedom and went with a large house bank + inverter combo. This drives a grill and AC + outlets on the boat and has worked fine for day outings here in florida. We plan to upgrade the house batteries to LiPo this year, and I think will have a decent amount of power available for what we do here in the Miami area. By doing that we dont have two kinds of fuel, need to worry about nasty smells and the maintenance issues. Perhaps you may want to consider that road on the newer one if the generator is really shot.

Just another opinion really more to give another perspective.

seasick

Reaction score
I erased and rewrote my response after thinking it over. Assuming the 04 has no serious issues, I would go for it since I really like the 300s. The genset is a bargaining chip and not a show stopper.
I may be off a bit here but I think the 7212 is an older model plotter. The EVOs probably are newer.

The big concern is the balsa rot issue on the hull sides aft and above the water line. That would be a show stopper so at some point a good survey is a must.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I erased and rewrote my response after thinking it over. Assuming the 04 has no serious issues, I would go for it since I really like the 300s. The genset is a bargaining chip and not a show stopper.
I may be off a bit here but I think the 7212 is an older model plotter. The EVOs probably are newer.

The big concern is the balsa rot issue on the hull sides aft and above the water line. That would be a show stopper so at some point a good survey is a must.
The 7212, if that's what the boat actually has, is a considerably older unit that came out around 2012-2013 and am assuming that he probably means the 7400-7600 series instead? Which was just discontinued recently in the last couple of years and replaced with the 8400-8600 series.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm looking for recommendations on which makes more sense assuming that both are the same price?

IMO, at the same price, the newer boat with newer bigger 300s is a no-brainer. No question.

oh...I see a later post with boat age. I lean toward to 2004 with new 300s, canvas. I would have to be on both to give you a qualified opinion.

Reactions: GW1990 and mg1826

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
my 2 cents. a thruster is a blessing on that hull. $$$$ for after build install (if you can get someone and the parts). genset $$$. cost me $3K to fix a panda with 60 hours on it. new outboards would cost, but you should have years on the 250's if they were serviced correctly. option 2. good luck, ron

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Everyone has an opinion… mine is #2 with the 250s. In my mind my express is a forever boat (I said that with my last one too) and I’d rather have a newer less used hull which I could put new motors on than the new motors on an older hull. Especially since the 07 has the generator and thruster. They are not necessary but depending on how/where you use the boat can be very helpful and to replace/add would be $20k. I have 06 250s which push the boat fine but it’s no speed demon. I’ve been out in snotty stuff and had plenty of power where I could work the throttles to control the ride. Again, it’s all preference and mine would be the newer/less used hull.

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Opinions are like belly buttons ---here's mine:

I have an '06 with 250's with 1100 hrs - they have good power and have been bullet proof. I do wish it had 300's but it's not a big deal.
Having a thruster and a gen is a big deal in my opinion. I'm on a mooring so the gen is huge!
I have had Raymarine, Simrad and Garmin - I don't think anything comes close to Garmin for ease of operation and features.
My orig 06' electronics were Simrad - junk, is all I can say.
All depending on condition I guess - watch for the moisture issues on the older boat - get a good survey

Good Luck, its a great boat !

teaklejr

Reaction score
When we started looking for a new to us boat i dead set against getting a generator and did not care about bow thruster. Well the 305 Express we ended up getting have both and would not want to be without either one. My pick would be option #2

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello,
I know the boat with the 250s (option 2)
He is a friend of mine, that boat is so clean. He spares no expense. you will not be disappointed in that boat.

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello,
I know the boat with the 250s (option 2)
He is a friend of mine, that boat is so clean. He spares no expense. you will not be disappointed in that boat.
Awesome, thanks! Looking at it again on Saturday. I’m leaning that way also.