GW 330 Express Recommendations

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I will say if your slip is anywhere near some strong currents or boat traffic... a thruster will be a HUGE benefit. Its one of those things that after you use one(if you conditions favor one), you'll wonder why you ever waited so long to get a boat with one. Unfortunately its not so easy to add on later.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I just repowered my 2006 330 after 2,500 reliable hours on a pair of F250's.

I now have F300's. Is a 330 underpowered with F250's? No. Is a 330 better with F300's? Yes.

In my use case scenario, I value my Bow Thruster and generator very much. I'd never own a large Grady without both of them. After my repower, while docking, I noticed the F300's can "twist" my boat much better than with the F250's (one throttle in forward, one in reverse). So, maybe the bow thruster is less needed.

One of the things I like to do is to look closely at the cleanliness of the bilge. Like in the area of the generator and battery charger. If it's all black and moldy, it tells a story about maintenance. If it looks and smells clean, the Owner probably takes care of everything else on the boat in good fashion.

Both of the boats you're looking at look like excellent choices except for * below. A good survey will reveal if there are any issues going on in the transom area. I'd hang my hat on the outcome of that. You could make an offer on the condition of a clean marine survey.

* - Both boats however have alarmingly LOW hours. I'd be concerned about that. With Yamahas. the more you use them, the longer they last.

Last edited:

phishead

Reaction score
250s are way under powered for that boat. They’re underpowered for a Marlin. I’d hold and buy one with max HP. Boat prices are about to drop if you can wait

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Option 2 with 2007 hull and less wear and tear Neither will need to be repower for 2000 hrs or more. I would scope the 250 exhaust jacket to be sure. Option 1 has new powers which means the has over 2000 plus hrs already.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
250s are way under powered for that boat. They’re underpowered for a Marlin. I’d hold and buy one with max HP. Boat prices are about to drop if you can wait
I would disagree with your statement about it being underpowered. As I mentioned before in an earlier post... a Grady White 330 Express with twin F300's has a top speed of 44.6 mph @ 6,000 rpm and the optimum cruise is 29.9 mph @ 4,200 rpm. With twin F250's the GW 330 Express will do a top speed of 41.6 mph @ 5,600 rpm and the optimum cruise is 28.5 mph @ 4,000 rpm. If you really wanted to you could probably switch out the props to be able to get the 5,600 rpm @ WOT up closer to 6,000 rpm and gain a bit more speed, but that could also effect your hole shot. Regardless, if that 3 mph difference in top speed really makes a difference to you then sure, go with the larger motors. For I'm assuming most of us that don't necessarily care about top speed, or a measly 3 mph difference though? It's a moot point and likely not a deal breaker.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would disagree with your statement about it being underpowered. As I mentioned before in an earlier post... a Grady White 330 Express with twin F300's has a top speed of 44.6 mph @ 6,000 rpm and the optimum cruise is 29.9 mph @ 4,200 rpm. With twin F250's the GW 330 Express will do a top speed of 41.6 mph @ 5,600 rpm and the optimum cruise is 28.5 mph @ 4,000 rpm. If you really wanted to you could probably switch out the props to be able to get the 5,600 rpm @ WOT up closer to 6,000 rpm and gain a bit more speed, but that could also effect your hole shot. Regardless, if that 3 mph difference in top speed really makes a difference to you then sure, go with the larger motors. For I'm assuming most of us that don't necessarily care about top speed, or a measly 3 mph difference though? It's a moot point and likely not a deal breaker.

hull is 16,000+ lbs wet without people. 250's will hurt on the cruise range. i had f350's with 4 blades, which, if asked, would be my recommendation. but, for the OP, you can deal with that at a future date as i posted before. good luck, ron

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
hull is 16,000+ lbs wet without people. 250's will hurt on the cruise range. i had f350's with 4 blades, which, if asked, would be my recommendation. but, for the OP, you can deal with that at a future date as i posted before. good luck, ron
I think your 16k+ lb weight wet and without people isn't going to be very accurate. On the Grady White website they said the test weight of a brand new 330 Express with twin F300's on it was "14,577 lbs. (including persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories)". Even if the boat was completely empty of fuel in its 331 gallon fuel tank, at 6 lbs per gallon of fuel that's still less than 2k lbs, which would put it at 16.5k lbs. But you've still got persons, water, gear and accessories on board, and that's if the fuel tank was completely empty, which we obviously know it wasn't in order to test out the fuel economy on the boat. I doubt the boat was filled to the brim with fuel, but I think it's safe to say that it was probably half full or so. But then again, that weight is still including persons, water, gear and accessories. I guess my point, and to make a long story short, is that even fully loaded with fuel, gear, water, accessories and maybe 2-3 people on board you'd probably still not even be at 16.5k lbs.

Also, one other has changed substantially on the 330 Express over the years and that would be the maximum horsepower rating going from 600 hp on the OP's potential 2007 model up to a staggering 850 hp for a brand new one. Which twin F350's would obviously be 700 hp total and over the 600 hp maximum horsepower rating for the OP's potential 2007 hull. Not saying that one likely couldn't get away with running F350's or similar on a 2007 hull, but it wouldn't be something that I'd personally risk doing if there was any sort of insurance claim, potential issue or so on. At the end of the day, are F250's the "perfect" engine for the hull? Maybe not. Are there better options out there? Possibly, although I think that would be very subjective. Finally, would a boat like this with F250's be a deal breaker for most people? Absolutely not. 3 mph slower on the top end with an almost identical optimum cruise definitely wouldn't make me want to turn up my nose at the lower hp outboards. Good day

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good for you. Different years of boats have different weights and maximum horsepower limitations, which between 2007 and 2008 they switched from a maximum horsepower rating of 600 hp to a maximum horsepower rating of 700 hp. And then in 2019 they changed it up again to be able to accommodate the 850 hp rating. So... what works for one person with one year of boat may not always work for someone with the same model but a different year. If you do have an older hull with the lower 600hp maximum rating and have twin F350's on it, which isn't something I'd personally recommend doing, then that's your decision and ultimately the liability is on you. Good luck!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with phishead:

I have been on 2 different 330's with 250's and TO ME, they're underpowered. Both had to spin the mils at 4800 to cruise at 30-31MPH and got 1.0 or 1.1 MPG with 2-3 passengers and 1/2 fuel.

Numbers on a Grady website are information to help make an informed buying decision. They don't always tell the real world performance stories. The above numbers are what those 330's did, irrespective of what the Website says. I was there.

I also agree with phishead that I wouldn't put them on a Marlin either, although they are adequate power for that hull.

The ideal power for the 330's are either 350's or 425's. They'll work half as hard as 250's, get the same or a tick better fuel burn and give you higher cruising speeds.

I am not worried about top end either, but I AM worried about higher cruising speeds at the same or better fuel burn. 3 MPH is a BIG difference when you go 100+ miles in a day like I do.

In the name of Full Disclosure, however, I must admit that many 250's on 330 Expresses have had a really long lifespan, in spite of their hard-working existence. Lots of Captains think 250's on a 330 are not underpowered. I guess there's some subjectivity there...I'd never have them.

Also concur with HMB; Get the thruster if possible. It's always been my opinion that a thruster is not a substitute for knowledgeable close-quarter boat handling. It is designed to be an assisting mechanism when wind/current make Life difficult. Learn how to handle the boat and not depend on a thruster. That said, I've been glad it's on my Marlin more than once.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am not worried about top end either, but I AM worried about higher cruising speeds at the same or better fuel burn. 3 MPH is a BIG difference when you go 100+ miles in a day like I do.
If my math is correct...

- 44.6 mph at a distance of 100 miles each way would take you approximately 2 hours and 14 minutes to get to your destination.

- 41.6 mph, or 3 mph slower, at a distance of 100 miles each way would take you approximately 2 hours and 24 minutes to get to your destination. Adding roughly 10 minutes to leg of your trip.

- 41.6 mph and a total distance of 100 miles roundtrip would take you approximately 5 minutes more to each leg of the trip, resulting in an added 10 minutes total roundtrip. If you're really that worried about spending an extra 5-10 minutes each way on your trip, or 10-20 minutes total, then perhaps fishing or boating isn't the right hobby or activity for you?

HMBJack

Reaction score
Remember, when Grady-White introduced the 330 Express, they installed them with F225's. The F225 3.3L V6 was the LARGEST outboard Yamaha made at the time. It was a revolutionary "Grand Slam" kind of a boat with rave reviews all around.

Later, they sold them with F250's. Again, the largest outboard Yamaha made at the time.

Then came, the 300's, then the 350's, and now the 425's. All on the same boat, same weight.

Maybe in a five years or so, people will say 425's on a 330 just isn't enough horsepower.

Reactions: seasick

seasick

Reaction score
Remember, when Grady-White introduced the 330 Express, they installed them with F225's. The F225 3.3L V6 was the LARGEST outboard Yamaha made at the time. It was a revolutionary "Grand Slam" kind of a boat with rave reviews all around.

Later, they sold them with F250's. Again, the largest outboard Yamaha made at the time.

Then came, the 300's, then the 350's, and now the 425's. All on the same boat, same weight.

Maybe in a five years or so, people will say 425's on a 330 just isn't enough horsepower.
Exactly:)

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just my 2 cents and personal experience. Yesterday, I took out my '03 Express with 90 hour, fairly new Yamaha 250's 4.2L, for a 150 mile fishing excursion. Boat and engines performed flawlessly. Ran HEAVY - 4 men, 220 gallons of fuel, full water tanks, a lot of fishing gear and two full bait tanks. I have Simrad NSS EVO series electronics and they also performed flawlessly.

Cruised out in the morning at 30 mph plus, trolled/searched a lot for fish and came home in sloppy water at about 24 mph - averaged 1.1 mpg. Other than the price of a gallon of gas - I'm HAPPY :cool:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
'Stang:

This site is for people to gain knowledge and give/get opinions, thereby helping people make informed decisions about Gradys.

You are a contributor to the site and are trying to help people, so I am not going to argue with you. I think 250's are underpowered on a 330. I said why above. Some will agree, some won't. Overall, it will help the next guy/gal decide on a 330 or not.

I say this tactfully; maybe it will help you going forward as you continue to contribute.

1.) I have owned 3 Gradys. I have been boating most of my life. I do not need you to suggest to me that I don't have the "Right Hobby." because I disagree with your power concepts and time elapsed on a cruise.

2.) When you give long, involved responses, make paragraphs instead of one or two huge blocks. It's easier to read.

Jack:

Tech advancement is a good thing in my book. They strengthen transoms, beef up this-and-that and give you more power.

I understand the 425's get 1.0MPG. I'm not sure of the numbers, but I'm guessing a 330 will cruise in the mid-30's with them. I have 350 V8's on my Marlin and the power curve & torque are fabulous.

Reactions: JJF

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just my 2 cents and personal experience. Yesterday, I took out my '03 Express with 90 hour, fairly new Yamaha 250's 4.2L, for a 150 mile fishing excursion. Boat and engines performed flawlessly. Ran HEAVY - 4 men, 220 gallons of fuel, full water tanks, a lot of fishing gear and two full bait tanks. I have Simrad NSS EVO series electronics and they also performed flawlessly.

Cruised out in the morning at 30 mph plus, trolled/searched a lot for fish and came home in sloppy water at about 24 mph - averaged 1.1 mpg. Other than the price of a gallon of gas - I'm HAPPY :cool:
^^^^ This!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
'Stang:

This site is for people to gain knowledge and give/get opinions, thereby helping people make informed decisions about Gradys.

You are a contributor to the site and are trying to help people, so I am not going to argue with you. I think 250's are underpowered on a 330. I said why above. Some will agree, some won't. Overall, it will help the next guy/gal decide on a 330 or not.

I say this tactfully; maybe it will help you going forward as you continue to contribute.

1.) I have owned 3 Gradys. I have been boating most of my life. I do not need you to suggest to me that I don't have the "Right Hobby." because I disagree with your power concepts and time elapsed on a cruise.

2.) When you give long, involved responses, make paragraphs instead of one or two huge blocks. It's easier to read.

Jack:

Tech advancement is a good thing in my book. They strengthen transoms, beef up this-and-that and give you more power.

I understand the 425's get 1.0MPG. I'm not sure of the numbers, but I'm guessing a 330 will cruise in the mid-30's with them. I have 350 V8's on my Marlin and the power curve & torque are fabulous.
As you mentioned, everyone has their opinions of which you’re certainly entitled to yours and I’m entitled to mine as well. Your opinion seems to be based more off of just that, your thoughts or feelings only and being on other’s boats that felt "underpowered" to you. Which could’ve been anything from A. Again, just your opinion, as feeling “underpowered” is rather subjective from person to person or it could’ve just felt that way to you for no reason at all and B. It could’ve been anything from the props being the wrong size or pitch or the wind and other conditions that day that made it feel “underpowered” to you.

I’m taking a stance with my opinion based off the numbers, of which while the numbers aren’t going to be 110% perfect every single time, they’re also not going to be way off. As my high school football coach used to always say when we would watch the video of our previous game the following week… “the video doesn’t lie.” Just like the numbers don’t lie, and it’s impossible to refute them completely or essentially discredit them because of the sole fact that… it’s your opinion. Even though the numbers say otherwise.

This is my first Grady White boat and the 4th total boat that I’ve owned before, which at the time of purchase I was 35 years old, so not too bad, and I have been fishing and boating my entire life as well. That doesn’t mean that I’m an expert though with regards to boats or boating in general. I do know that the performance data is a great tool to utilize when making decisions on what horsepower levels to go with. To throw that information out the window entirely and go solely off of your opinion only I think would be rather naive.

Tech advancement is great and everything but I’m more of the opinion that like most things in life, it comes down to simple dollars and cents and what people can afford. A brand new GW 330 Express with twin Yamaha F425’s is almost $750k, which I for one and would have to assume that most others, probably around going to spend that kind of money on a brand new boat. Which is why there is such a big market for used boats. In terms of outboard pricing, a single Yamaha F425 is $45k minimum and twins will put you at over $100k after installation, rigging, tax and everything else. Comparatively, the F250’s and F300’s are about $15k-20k less per motor, for a total savings of $30k-45k. After buying a used boat for $100k+ And then having to potentially repower for almost another $100k? I think most will take the $30k-45k savings and go a whopping 3 mph slower. Grady White’s aren’t known for being speed demons, if you or someone else wants to go fast on the water then there are many other boats out there that will do just that.

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Its funny, perception and reality can differ so much. Mine only has 225's and I cruise at 22kts, give or take. In my local area, Buzzards Bay/Vineyard sound, conditions make it such that I'm middle of the pack in terms of speed. On the one or two perfect days, I'm more towards back of pack, but I did not buy this boat for speed. Underpowered? Maybe, but other than a few KPH all of the other numbers are within similar ranges. I'd love 3-5 kts more at cruise, as the hull seems lighter at 26k than at 22k, but for now, I'll happily run what I have, and in a few years, will bump up to the 4.2l blocks in either 250 or 300 size and run the snot out of those too. I love my bargain boat, compared to the 600+ for new ones.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As you mentioned, everyone has their opinions of which you’re certainly entitled to yours and I’m entitled to mine as well. Your opinion seems to be based more off of just that, your thoughts or feelings only and being on other’s boats that felt "underpowered" to you. Which could’ve been anything from A. Again, just your opinion, as feeling “underpowered” is rather subjective from person to person or it could’ve just felt that way to you for no reason at all and B. It could’ve been anything from the props being the wrong size or pitch or the wind and other conditions that day that made it feel “underpowered” to you.

I’m taking a stance with my opinion based off the numbers, of which while the numbers aren’t going to be 110% perfect every single time, they’re also not going to be way off. As my high school football coach used to always say when we would watch the video of our previous game the following week… “the video doesn’t lie.” Just like the numbers don’t lie, and it’s impossible to refute them completely or essentially discredit them because of the sole fact that… it’s your opinion. Even though the numbers say otherwise.

This is my first Grady White boat and the 4th total boat that I’ve owned before, which at the time of purchase I was 35 years old, so not too bad, and I have been fishing and boating my entire life as well. That doesn’t mean that I’m an expert though with regards to boats or boating in general. I do know that the performance data is a great tool to utilize when making decisions on what horsepower levels to go with. To throw that information out the window entirely and go solely off of your opinion only I think would be rather naive.

Tech advancement is great and everything but I’m more of the opinion that like most things in life, it comes down to simple dollars and cents and what people can afford. A brand new GW 330 Express with twin Yamaha F425’s is almost $750k, which I for one and would have to assume that most others, probably around going to spend that kind of money on a brand new boat. Which is why there is such a big market for used boats. In terms of outboard pricing, a single Yamaha F425 is $45k minimum and twins will put you at over $100k after installation, rigging, tax and everything else. Comparatively, the F250’s and F300’s are about $15k-20k less per motor, for a total savings of $30k-45k. After buying a used boat for $100k+ And then having to potentially repower for almost another $100k? I think most will take the $30k-45k savings and go a whopping 3 mph slower. Grady White’s aren’t known for being speed demons, if you or someone else wants to go fast on the water then there are many other boats out there that will do just that.

Couple more things:

1.) I do agree that there nothing wrong with a 250-powered rig that costs considerably less than a higher HP option. Boating is Boating; All should have the chance to enjoy it.

2.) My "Opinion" is only part of my stance that 250's are underpowered on a 330. Irrespective of any numbers you come up with, a 250 will spin just off 5K for all of it's life pushing that Beast thru the water. That is a fairly hard life for an outboard, although as mentioned, there are many 250's still kickin' after 1000 hrs of that, so there's certainly another side to this coin. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but there's many examples of successful ownership experiences with the 250's.

3.)Higher HP options also give much better midrange power/punch climbing over seas which is where most Grady Owners spend their life at. Better throttle response, easier planing with heavy loads, a bit more torque when horsing the Beast around a dock with twins, and the-same-or-better fuel economy are good arguments for more power.

4.) You don't know me, so I am not dissing you here, but I am aware after 3 Gradys that they are not "Speed Demons," as you say. I have owned and operated hi-performance Donzi raceboats for the last 25 years. I understand the difference in hulls, from 24 degree V-bottoms to stepped hulls and to the SeaV2 Grady bottoms. My argument, and it's not entirely "opinion" or "perception" is that Bigger is Always Better unless it's cost-prohibitive. Ask some of the offshore fishing crew on here if they would enjoy an extra 3 MPH on the return trip from a Canyon Run 100 miles out. See what they say.

5.) If you'll look, Grady now only offers the 300's and the 425's with a new 330. If the 250 is such a perfect option, why is it still not offered from the Factory?

My apologies to the guy who started this thread. Admittedly, we have gone a little far afield here, but the ultimate topic still revolves around a 330. Hope you're still hangin' in there....

Reactions: mg1826