GW 330 Express ROD HOLDERS

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I want to replace the rod holders on my 330 Express with heavy duty swivel rod holders (preferably LT Marine). Can anyone tell me if the ones closest to the transom are 15 or 30 degrees? And what are the other two? I'm too far away from my boat and want to attempt to get an order in.
I may also add two more in between.
Thoughts and comments are welcome, thanks!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What are you fishing for? I think the preferred arrangement is 0* swivel rod holders, and bent but rods. Putting a swivel in the bottom of a 15*, or a 30*, only lets the rod twist, but not turn to the side. Then the handle ends up on top, or on the bottom of the reel.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
typically the stern most gunnel rodholders are 30 deg set straight back. the next set fwd are 15 deg set 45deg outward.

If you are getting swivel rodholders....Think. You typically don't have 30deg swivels. Think about how the rod would swivel. Typically you would use a 0 deg swivel rodholder with a bent butt rod. Then the rod swings left and right not up & down.

Also. Bent butt rods come in two lengths and so do the rodholders. A small bent butt will not reach the bottom of a long rodholder before the bend hits the opening.

Think about adding 0deg swivels between the existing rodholders

Reactions: mg1826

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What are you fishing for? I think the preferred arrangement is 0* swivel rod holders, and bent but rods. Putting a swivel in the bottom of a 15*, or a 30*, only lets the rod twist, but not turn to the side. Then the handle ends up on top, or on the bottom of the reel.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what the holes are already cut out for. I'll be fishing mostly in shore for blues and stripers but also making some offshore trips for tuna.

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
typically the stern most gunnel rodholders are 30 deg set straight back. the next set fwd are 15 deg set 45deg outward.

If you are getting swivel rodholders....Think. You typically don't have 30deg swivels. Think about how the rod would swivel. Typically you would use a 0 deg swivel rodholder with a bent butt rod. Then the rod swings left and right not up & down.

Also. Bent butt rods come in two lengths and so do the rodholders. A small bent butt will not reach the bottom of a long rodholder before the bend hits the opening.

Think about adding 0deg swivels between the existing rodholders
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of adding the 0 degree rod holders in the middle. I'll probably start with those two swivels and maybe leave the other four as is.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my 2003, the factory holders are 30 degrees. I wouldn't recommend getting 15 or 30 degree swivel holders -- in my opinion they are pretty useless. I use a 0 degree with bent butt rods for giant tuna fishing. I only have one installed at the furthest back point on the starboard side, right near the transom door. I move the rod I'm fighting with to that holder and the helmsman keeps the fish off the starboard side and we leader it forward.

isurus22

Reaction score
I left the existing 30 degree rod holders in place and added 0 degree swivels. I placed them in between the existing, and on the starboard side one closer to the stern. If you really want 30 degree swivels you can buy drop in swivel adaptors into the existing holders. Smith makes some.

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for all the responses!
I'm going to order two 0 degree LT Marine swivel rod holders and install them in between the existing ones.
My question for the 330 Express guys, does a 12" fit or is the 9" the way to go? I'm still away from the boat so I can't measure it for a while.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bent butt rods come in short butt and long butt, therefore swivel rod holders come in 9 inch and 12 inch. If you have the rods, buy the appropriate holder. If not, shop for both before you order one.
I am sure either will fit in the gunnel.

isurus22

Reaction score
I use the 9”. They stick down a bit to interfere using the very top rod storage but otherwise fine.

Lucky13

Reaction score
I put 0 degree where the 30's are now and moved my 30's to the middle of the current two locations. I wanted my swivels in the back. I went with the 12 inch but they come with a pin so you can shorten if you need to. Good luck