GW 330 Shopping

Rangoonb

Reaction score
I'm looking at moving up to a bigger boat and think the GW 330 fits what I'm looking for. There are a lot of them out there for sale. My budget doesn't allow for a new one but I'm looking in the 150k range. There are three basic groups out there, sorta new last 2 or 3 years, 2005 -2007 with twin 250s with and hour range of 4-800 hours and the last group of 2002 -2004 with high time twin 225s. I can find a nice 2003 for under 100k with high time 225s and put a new pair of 300s for 50k. The other option is a 2006-2007 with twin 250s with 4-800 hours for 135 -150k. My question is how Yamahas hold up over time / hours. Can I expect a 10 year old 250 with 500 hours to last 6 or 8 more years? Not a Yamaha man here and no experience. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
first, i don't purchase pre-owned. with that full disclosure.

i think you may be better off with a late year model. there were obviously a lot of improvements and changes since the initial rollout. for instance, at some year they switched over to diesel genset.

the play would be to expect the engine upgrade no matter what. it's a big boat and the f300's would be the way to go. any hull prior to '08 is not certified for the current f350 (or f300) v8's. a bow thruster would make your life easy.

a focus on quality of maintenance of the hull and systems would probably keep you on the safe side. good luck, ron

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just went through this myself and ended up with a 2003 which I repowered with Yamaha F250 Offshore (4.2L) with digital controls and also upgraded the electronics to a Garmin 7612xsv system!

The 330 from 2003 and before is only rated to 500HP on the transom. From 2004 to 2007 the rating is 600HP, and from 2008 onwards it's 700HP. (you may want to double check this with Grady!) There are a lot of differing opinions on whether one can or should exceed the manufacturer's HP rating (and if your insurance company will honor a claim on such a boat), but the main reason I went with the F250's is that I already owned a well maintained pair from my previous boat.

Also, surprisingly, Grady's own performance bulletins comparing the F250's and F300's did not show that big of an improvement. Here are the numbers below: (Grady has since removed the 500HP bulletin from their website because they are no longer offering the F250's as an option)

500HP (twin F250 4.2L Offshore)
Best Cruise: 30.7 MPH (4300 RPM), 1.17 mpg
5000 RPM: 36.9 MPH, 1.02 mpg
Max Speed: 42.9 MPH, .90 mpg

600HP (twin F300 4.2L Offshore)
Best Cruise: 29.9 MPH (4200 RPM), 1.25 mpg
5000 RPM: 37.1 MPH, 1.08 mpg
Max Speed: 44.6 MPH, .86 mpg

700HP (twin F350)
Best Cruise: 32.3 MPH (3900 RPM), 1.22 mpg
5000 RPM: 43 MPH, .95 mpg
Max Speed: 50.4 MPH, .75 mpg

As I really enjoy a fun refit project and I knew I would be repowering and redoing the electronics, I was pretty happy to find an older hull in great shape. I don't intend to sell the boat for many many years, so I wasn't worried about the potential resale value difference between F300's or F250's. I was, however, very focussed on only getting a boat that had the factory installed bow thruster and the Fischer Panda diesel genset.

Also if you end up needing to redo the dash, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23367

Let us know what you end up getting!

Joe

Rangoonb

Reaction score
Joe

Thanks for your reply and all the info. I had noticed the difference in performance with the 250s, 300s and 350s and it isn't that great. I am looking at a couple of 2006s with twin 250s over the next couple of weeks and will just see how they look and act.
Two years ago I got an 84 Trophy 25 for $500 with the trailer. It had spent 10 years in a barn with a hole in the hull from a trailer roller breaking on a long road trip and nobody noticing it. The hole repair was a minor job but it had I/Os and the engine compartment was a sea of rust. I stripped it bare and new engines, wiring and control cables made things right. The hull buffed to new and the wood work was all there and in usable shape. It took 30k and a years labor but it's as good as a new boat and I'll never sell it. I just want something with a bit more length and beam to run Oregon inlet weekly and over night off shore. I fish solo most of the time and a normal 35' sport fisher is just too much boat to fish solo.

Thanks again for your imput

Jas

Reaction score
Hi Rangoonb,

I don’t think I have much to add to your inquiry, but I am interested in the thread and agree with your metrics. Last fall I sold my Gulfstream and then pulled the trigger on a new to me 2005, 330 Express.

Great looking boat and appears to have almost everything I was looking for. (you never get everything you want) Bought it just in time to wrap it up for the winter, so I don’t have a lot of hands on advice to relate. She does have the twin 250’s with about 600 hours. The survey, engine diagnostics as well as the maintenance records all came back positive, so my decision was made.

I fully expect that I will have an upgrade in my future, but also expect that I should be able to run these Yammies for another 600 hours, at least. I did get the factory bow thruster and the panda diesel generator, so that was all a bonus. Decent electronics and a lot other small items that added up to a nice value for the complete package.

I did see several nice ones in the VA that were on my radar, but this came up in MD and from a Grady dealer. Can’t wait for spring!

phs115

Reaction score
I have a 2007 33 express with yamaha 250's with about 400 hrs. I have been very pleased with this set up. Not only is there plenty of power but its pretty economical to run. My son and I run to the canyon when the weather window opens up and we return with plenty of fuel. Run out in the early morning troll all day and run back using about 170 gallons. I am playing with the idea of selling it and moving to a diesel inboard. Everybody says i am crazy but what the hell.. So if interested let me know and we can chat like i said just starting to think about it.

Rangoonb

Reaction score
Thanks for the imput. I have sinned :( ...while looking at a 330 I noticed a nice looking 2004 35' Cabo, crawled around it and asked for a ride. WOW 1100 horses can fly. Got back to dock and crawled some more and decided to make a low offer. A phone call and it looks like it's mine. Part of an estate so need clear title and a good survey but my offer is only good for 30 days so I'm not tied up too long in an estate battle if there is one that I don't know about. I'll have my GW Trophy forever so not a complete lost cause.

HMBJack

Reaction score
The 35' Cabo is very nice - no doubt. I own a 2006 330 Express (5+ years) and have fished on a friend's 35' Cabo (a 2005 model).

I personally like the 330 Express layout because you get two true double berths: One aft and one up from in the Vee berth. The Cabo has their massive engine room where the 330 Express aft berth is located so you really only get the one double berth. The couch on the Cabo 35 is a single bunk in my view.

Economy with the Cabo is more or less the same (?) as is the overall ride. I have one experience where my 330 Express out ran the Cabo in big seas due to the SeaVee Hull on the Grady, The Cabo is a bit like a "shoe box" in the bow's entry due to it's design for So Cal and Mexican waters. GW's all have a much sharper entry up front.

But you certainly did well if you can swing a Cabo 35 Vs. a 330 Express.
The Cabo is twice the horsepower, twice the weight and twice the price.
Congratulations and good luck with it!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My brother and I purchased a 2006 330 express from Taylor in OC 4 years ago and we love it. Has F250s, diesel gen and freezer box. Great boat and awesome for overnight trips. On a 12+ hour canyon trip (60 miles out and trolling all day) we burn anywhere from 150-170 gallons. Happy to answer any questions you have. David