GW Deal? Other Random Questions

MDRookie01

Reaction score
I been around boating for a couple years now and enjoy the fishing.. My buddy sold his boat at the end of last season due to boat started have issues and did not have money to fix it.. Now we are left we out a fishing boat..

I recently came across a 1988 228 Seafarer. It has a 99 225 Yamaha OX66. They are asking for about 10k but I think I can get it cheaper. Owner has medical problems and the boat has been sitting since end of season 2005. In 2005 the motor was totaly tuned, trim tab installed, new gas tank and gas lines.. since the boat has been sitting, it is fairly dirty but nothing that I can clean up.. Now my questions..

Think this is a good deal? The current owner told be he boat it from and older gentleman who only took it out a few times a year and his wife was making him get rid of it because he never used it..

What kind of problem would you look for on a boat that has been sitting around for 3 years? After some research on the site, I was worried about the gas tank, but was happy to know it was replaced in 05.

Random Questions:
My buddy used Iron Out clean all the bay scum off his boat and it worked wonders.. One wipe and the boat looked brand new.. The Iron out also cleaned the teak right up.. Have you every used Iron Out on your boat? If I were to get that boat, I would clean it with this.. But want to make sure it did not cause problems with the gel coat, etc.

This GW has bottom paint, what are the downfalls to this? What are the down falls of not have the bottom paint redone, not it is in bad shape, just curious.

Thanks Guys.. I really want this boat and to be a GW owner.. This would be my first boat so I am still a little weiry even though my buddy who has been around boats seems to think it is a great deal..

MDRookie01

Reaction score
Guess I should have looked on the Iron out Web site..

Super Iron Out is what it is really called.. On the web site it says you can use it on Boats..

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For some peace of mind and to really know what condition the boat is in, hire a qualified, reputable marine surveyer. Ask for recommendations in you area here on the board. It will cost you a few bucks but you may need it for insurance, boat loans and it can be a great negotiation perspective. If you tenatively settle on a price, the value can be re-negotiated based on the repairs recommended by the survey, and more often than naught, you will end up getting all or more money back from the cost of the survey to re-negotiate. You will need to address these repairs after the sale of which some you may be able to inexpensively complete yourself. A vessel of this age is certain to have issues that the novice will never identify such as delamination, electrical, plumbing, water infiltration above or below the water line, either of which can be catastrophic, fuel system problems etc. If he surveyer is not an outboard tech, take it to an independant mechanic and have them test the motor as well. Just as a side note, my survey was about $500 and we finally settled $1500 less than the original agreement. I completed all the repairs myself for about $350. 1500 - 500 - 350 = $650 in my pocket.(deck delamination, electrical wiring deficiencies, head malfunctions) Remember it is your money and your life dependant on the safety of this craft.
PS> I am not a surveyer, just respectfull of their knowledge and experience. Ask if they are knowledgeable of GW issues.

Keep us posted.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I agree with 1st Grady... the cost of a Survey will give you peace of mind and may save you thousands of $$$ ..make sure whoever you hire has Grady experience and double check the transom for moisture ... if you have a mechanic it would prob be a good idea to check compression and basics on the OB ... ...As for 'Super Iron Out' I have never heard of it ... ... ... Bottom paint, depends on a few variables ....
* Is the bottom painted now ? If so how many coats and what paint?
* Will the boat be in Salt or fresh water ?
* Will you leave it in the water in a slip or trailer it ?

If your keeping the boat in a slip in salt water, I would recommend painting the bottom. Depending on you location, ave water temp ..etc ... there are many paint options, ask your local boat supply guy or local boaters for suggestions .... Good luck ! Keep us posted .....

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm selling a similar boat with a slightly newer engine, but price wise if the boat is in good shape it is about right. Due to the sellers medical situation going lower might be possible, but otherwise I'd say the owner is smart for not budging personally. Mine is a 1989 and has a 2000 HPDI w/ about 400 hrs on it, nada value with trailer puts it at about 16,000, were looking to get 13,000, no lower, were not looking to haggle, just knocked the price down to what were willing to take. Being the OX is slightly older technology that shaves maybe 1000 off, so at 10,000 I think your getting a great deal already, assuming the boat is in great shape, mine is turn key with may updates, not sure about this sellers.

As mentioned above, I would recommend 2 things, a marine survey to calm your nerves so you know what your getting into, I would do this with any used boat no matter what age it is, even knewer boats can have issues, more then most realize. You'd be surprised how many boats that are under 5 yrs old that already have structural issues from various builders out there. I have a buddy with a 1 yr old robalo, it has a soft deck, but if you walked on it just once not knowing the boat you might never find it, but since the owner purchased it new he noticed over time the feel changed had it surveyed and they found the problem, you cannot just assume newer boats are in good shape, it all depends on 2 things, the builder doing their job right, and the owner/owner's taking care of it properly and maintaining it to prevent damage over time.
The other thing I would do it have a Yamaha tech check the engine, to me not just any mechanic is good, only a Yamaha guy is, they know the engines in and out. They will do a compression test to check for irregularities in compression that might signal issues, as well as checking the engines ecu for engine data such as hours, operation rpm's to see if the engine was abused or not and to see if any codes have been recently tripped. Also ask to see any service records from the owner, what had they done, how often do they do it? What oil do they use, Yamalube or a cheaper brand? Do they use ringfree in the fuel or not? You want a reliable engine.

MDRookie01

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.. Survey would probably be best.. How do you think the owner would reacy if I try to low ball him and then tell him I gettign a survey done first...

* Is the bottom painted now ? If so how many coats and what paint?
It is painted now.. Not sure about coats or paint.

* Will the boat be in Salt or fresh water ?
It will be in Saltwater

* Will you leave it in the water in a slip or trailer it ?
Will trailer, no slip..

As for the Iron Out, we used it to clean everything.. It did a nice job.. Takes off bay scum with no problems.. (turns the bottoms of the boat a little brownish) We get alot of boat scum on the bottom from the Ches Bay and rivers around here..

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can simply give owner a offer subject to satisfactory results from survey. If he agrees to pre-survey offer you at least know your worst case cost. You know you can buy it upon spending money for survey. If survey turns our identifying issues you can walk away only paying for survey or re-negotiate based on new info since you warranted your offer. You want to get best deal, but more important you want the right boat. One concern having a boat sit would be the age of the gas in the gas tank, You would want to burn that off and mix in fresh gas when you can and change your water separator filters.