GW Factory Tour

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
I visited the factory yesterday to see 'First LIght' our 255 just out of the mold. It was a great experience and if you've never been, I highly recommend the trip to Greenville.

I last visited the factory in 2004 to see our Marlin 'Miss Sadie' being put together. Many things are the same; first class treatment, extremely organized and efficient assembly process, solid hulls at the beginning, brilliant shiny new Grady's at the end. A few differences were noted; smaller work force to reflect the economic reality of today, many large Grady's being built, and, beautiful blue and sand colored hulls.

As always, all the employees I met were enthusastic and very customer oriented. Grady pride was evident in every part of the operation, from the people to the sign out front. Eddie was my guide and he was patient with all my questions and never once looked at his watch even though it was a beautiful Friday afternoon and about time to start the weekend.

All in all, visiting the factory seems to bring together all the things that making owning a Grady special.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have always wanted to tour the factory. My brother is an engineering professor at ECU and knows many of their engineers and is good friends with Burt in customer care. I tend to think with the economy many folks who are in the new boat buying mood are those who are not really effected by the economy. They have the buying power for a bigger boat and the cash flow for bigger boat expenses.

I left the consulting world and moved to the Smoky Mountains in 2006. I own several vacation rental properties and I bought a small chocolate business. Back then we ere doing quite well. Npw with gas prices and the economy the way it is our income has shrunk becuase our market is a middle class family destination and families are not flocking to the Smokies like they once were 4 years ago. The same families who might also be boaters and have disposable income for a boat.

I tend to.think Grady is surviving in part they appear.tp.have little debt and they appeal to folks who still want a boat, maybe not a 43 sedan, but a boat they can fish and do family stuff too. Kind of obvious thinking I know but I think perhaps it is why you did not see smaller Gradys on the line? Enjoy First Light when you get her.