GW Fisherman 204

Pelagicman

Reaction score
Folks,
I have a question about the subject boats. It appears to me from viewing the catalogs that there is a hull change between 1983 and 1984. The '83 boats have a "lapstrake" hull and the '84 have a smooth side hull. Is there a change in the lower hull design as well. Is the '84 hull more a deep V and the '83 and prior a modified v hull? Any comment on the ride and handeling difference if any. I boat in Carolina and a deeper V would suit the water here better than a shallow V. I can not afford the seaV hull of later model 209"s. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this question. I am looking for a 204 fisherman to purchase and need more info.
Thanks,

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Grady White's success is due in part to keeping their staff quite a long time. I would suggest calling them or emailing and ask this question directly to them. In a way you might have answered your own question, the new model appears to have more of a pronounced V.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are some advantages to a deeper V and a shallow V

My buddy has deeper v than mine on his wellcraft 21ft, I an tell you that the ride is much smoother and drier than mine but that deeper v rocks more when fishing . Almost unbearable and I put on a life vest on at times

My 86 204c does not rock rearly as much as the deeper v, and is much more comfortable when fishing. But, the ride is much rougher and wet in the chops than his. I think it has the same smooth ride hull as the 84.