GW Freedom 307 Center of Gravity

msjohnston12

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I am installing an elevator lift along a seawall and it is not positioned in the center of the seawall, limiting space in one direction. For other purposes, trying to determine prior to installation how the boat will be oriented on the lift...bow going east or west. Thank you in advance.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't fully understand what you are describing. The center of gravity reference in your post title can be answered but the rest of the post is unclear.

The center of load is 121 inches off of the intersection of the transom and keel. Bunks should be spaced about 50 1/2 inches center to center.

Orientation of the vessel may be somewhat important. Generally you would want the winds off of the bow but the relaity is that if there is going to be a bad storm with high winds and possible very high tides/surge, you boat should not be left on the lift.

msjohnston12

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I don't fully understand what you are describing. The center of gravity reference in your post title can be answered but the rest of the post is unclear.

The center of load is 121 inches off of the intersection of the transom and keel. Bunks should be spaced about 50 1/2 inches center to center.

Orientation of the vessel may be somewhat important. Generally you would want the winds off of the bow but the relaity is that if there is going to be a bad storm with high winds and possible very high tides/surge, you boat should not be left on the lift.
Much appreciated...I think that answers my question. sorry for the confusion on the rest of the post...hard to describe without drawing the picture. Our property is on a canal west of Biscayne Bay and due to local code, the lift must be placed closer to the east to allow for the neighboring property to have a 45 degree clear view from his property. This may force me to position the boat with bow to the west, depending on how much of the boat extends beyond each of the lift beams.

seasick

Reaction score
That was a much better explanation:)

Remember that the aft end of the boat will extend farther due to the motors. If stored with the motors tilted up that will add several feet to the overall length of the vessel.

MikeMcD22

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
That was a much better explanation:)

Remember that the aft end of the boat will extend farther due to the motors. If stored with the motors tilted up that will add several feet to the overall length of the vessel.
I'm very close to the original poster (Maule Lake) and have just installed a lift as well. In my case, there is much more bow of the boat exposed than aft due to center of gravity.

Question: is there a good reason to tilt your motors if its on the lift? Just curious.

Also, My lift is offset too which allows me to host another small craft or add a jet ski (I hate jet skis :) ) later. Just a thought.

seasick

Reaction score
I'm very close to the original poster (Maule Lake) and have just installed a lift as well. In my case, there is much more bow of the boat exposed than aft due to center of gravity.

Question: is there a good reason to tilt your motors if its on the lift? Just curious.

Also, My lift is offset too which allows me to host another small craft or add a jet ski (I hate jet skis :) ) later. Just a thought.
No, there is no reason if when down the lower parts are not in the water
If down, one may foget that if they drive forward or diagonally over the lift bunks, low engines may not clear. If up, it may help remember when lowering that one may need to be careful.

Reactions: MikeMcD22

seasick

Reaction score
I should also mention that if stored where the temos may go below freezing, the motors should be tilted down

Reactions: MikeMcD22

Oceantroller

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 249

I have had boats on lifts for over 20 years and I always keep the engines down I have winterized them in the winter and just leave them down

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree engines down 100% of the time on the lift. Even on the hard, all engines are winterized and down as well. Might want to consider a thruster if you don't have one as well to assist in tight quarters maneuvering.