GW Marlin swim step bolts are loose, anyone have any idea how to access them

jigstrike

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Marlin, and the bolts that hold the swim step down are loose on the port side. I cant see any way to access the nuts on the bottom. Any ideas???
Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
Can't say for sure for your model but my swim step is not bolted to the transom, it is screwed with fairly decent size screws. I assume you tried to unscrew the hardware.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My Seafarer is the same screws going into transom, if they are loose could be wet transom. Try screwing them and see what happens.

seasick

Reaction score
I didn't want to mention a wet core but it is possible. See the the screw turns in either direction. If it does turn both ways, try to pull it out. If the core is dry, you can use a fatter screw or build up the hole with some fairing mix.

jigstrike

Reaction score
I should have described it better,the swimstep ladder is whats loose. it is mounted into a recessed area on the swimstep, and I cant seem to gain access underneath it.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've been into that section of my 98 marlin. it will involve removal of the live well which is straightforward, but a little project as you'll probably need to cut and replace plumbing as I did. Batteries out also... you'll be able to see the underside of the platform.

I'm not sure if they are thru bolted (id expect so) or not.

however you handle this- I would make sealing those screw holes up a very high priority.

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Same issue . . . one of four screws had come loose and would not tighten or back out all the way . . . used a little 5200 on the screw and moved on.