GW360 Hull - Deck Seam Split

Grandpapat

Reaction score
We took a serious bump on the port rubrail about 15 feet from the bow a few months ago and other than a dent in the rubrail did not think much of it. Last weekend got into 10 foot seas and was taking water over the bow for a few minutes. Water was coming into the cabin on the port side from somewhere. I checked the anchor locker and it was dry so I suspected we had opened the hull deck seam under the rubrail from that earlier bump. After getting back in the slip I inspected the rubrail more closely and there is a 1/4 inch gap under the bottom of the rubrail for about 9-10 inches along the hull. Close inspection also shows very light compression cracks in gelcoat on deck immediately surrounding the dent.

Any advice on the best fix? thanks, pat

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Pull the rub rail insert and check the bracket around the impact. Straighten and/or re-seat screws if necessary, then seal with silicone sealer, re-install insert ... :wink:

seasick

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Pull the rub rail insert and check the bracket around the impact. Straighten and/or re-seat screws if necessary, then seal with silicone sealer, re-install insert ... :wink:

I think it might be tad more serious.To me it seems that the deck has separated from the lower hull. In newer Gradys I think the deck is glued to the hull, not screwed or bolted.
If there is no or little damage to the two components, it is probably possible to re-glue the parts but I don't know what adhesive to use or how to compress the parts.
I would call Grady customer service and ask their opinion.
Note that if the deck to hull connection is compromised, so may the structural integrity of the vessel be compromised. What you don't want is the separation to continue travelling.

richie rich

Reaction score
post a pic so we can see what it looks like...the adhesive they use is a methacrylate, like Plexus....boat builders use it because its strong and quick to apply out of a dispensing tube/meter mixer....but you can re-glue the area with epoxy and the right prep....but you need to check how far the damage went as suggested above before you just begin glueing back together.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It might be worth having a good marine surveyor take a look at it. Or call your insurance agent and have him call a surveyor.

lgusto

Reaction score
I agree with the advice to call your insurance agent before attempting any repairs. They can deny your claim if they are unable to see the original state of things or if they are denied the right to direct the cure.

jellyfish

Reaction score
I agree, call your agent. If you keep running the boat as is and it spreads (I am sure it will) you could have trouble. You will want a pro to look at it and fix it. Don't try and fix it yourself if you are not sure how to do it, just my 2 cents.