Had a day no boat owner wants, boat sank. Now what. Also Transom and floor work questions.

talonracn49

Reaction score
Well, sadly our 192 tournament sank while tied to a dock this weekend. I’m guessing the float switch failed, but I don’t know yet the reason for water intrusion other than a 6 knot current at the dock.

It was only under for about 5 hours, we got it up and back on the trailer with help from another boat.

Electronics are obviously shot, engine is a ox66 150, I got plugs out and a bunch of Wd-40 in it and got it to spin over, but it won’t fire.

I’ll be talking to the insurance company adjuster soon (claim reported, waiting on them
To inspect) - and wanted opinions on if you would completely redo the boat (buy back from insurance) or just let it go.

Transom was solid, floors had some weak spots, but it’s a ‘94

Hull has gel coat stress cracks where it was hanging on the dock line at the stern.

The boat is near Charleston, is there anyone that you would recommend for the repairs?

Should I just let it go?

I only had it insured for 6500. Looks like values are significantly higher.

We love the boat, and it still fits our normal mission. Obviously I’d like a bit bigger too, but….

7E559E0E-399F-4B86-B12F-C52A06F6813B.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
I am sorry that you had that happen. In theory the boat should not have sunk completely but would fill with water to the gunnels. The lines may have been too tight or short causing the hull to rotate during a higher tide or strong winds. Is that dock a floating type or a fixed.

As soon as you pull the boat and motor out of the water, the trouble starts. That is why it is critical to deal with the motor as soon as possible. WD40 was not the best solution for the cylinders but it's late for that.
the engine should be flushed on the outside with fresh water.
When you say the motor didn't start, did it crank over at all? I would think that the battery is shot. It is important to get the plugs out , crank to blow out water and then shoot oil into the cylinders as engine is turned to coat the walls.
There are several decent UTube videos on dealing with sunken motors.
If the motor has not been dealt with and has say for a few days and was in salt water, there is a much smaller chance that t can be revived. Same goes for wiring and electronics.

You should also look at your insurance policy to see what coverage you have. If the sinking was a result of the hurricane and storm surge, things may get complicated.

Lucky Kali

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Sad news for any Grady owner. I lost mine to Ian. Got her out of the water and waiting for insurance! I also am looking for advice. Sorry for your loss also!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry for your loss.
Unless you have some reliable, cheap power available to mount, and/or your budget for a replacement is unable to pick up something newer, I would 100% let it go. You will be throwing $ at a project that will need more and more $ and time, but won't appreciate in value.
However, if you are hard core diy, love the boat, and plan to keep it a long time, go for it.

Lucky Kali

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you for your quick reply. I believe your correct in saying it would be a continuous cost issue. But I was told that the hull is fine a somebody may want it. Along with seats, etc.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry to hear about your loss. If you're at all hesitant about the boat, which it sounds like you definitely are, then I'd be more than content with walking away at this point. If you can buy the boat back for a decent price from the insurance company and think you might be able to sell it off to someone else, or part it out, then that would definitely be something to consider... or at least I'd look into that to help possibly recoup some of your expenses. That being said... with the boat being nearly 30 years old now, having spent 5 hours partially submerged, you admitting that you'd like a bigger boat, the issues with the soft spots, stress cracks, questionable outboard and so forth... then I'd walk away and not bother trying to fix the multitude of potential issues you could be facing. I am curious though, per the archived brochure on the GW website, it does say that your boat is self-bailing, any idea what happened making it so the boat wouldn't drain the water out on its own? I know you mentioned the winds, it's odd though that even if the boat was taking on water that it wasn't draining out at all, or at least quickly enough.

Lucky Kali

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
She was on a lift well above water during hurricane Ian. I had to evacuate. Before leaving I checked the lift and the height was 5 to 6 feet above the water. The storm blew her off the lift!!!! She was turned over hull up. No hull damage! The motor and electrical were submerged for 5 to 6 days. Had Boat US raise her and now on the trailer!
I am considering what your suggesting. Buying her back and don't know if I'll have the motor rebuilt. Just got a new lower unit. And of course re-electric all!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Jimmyfiretruck

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
The insurance company will total the boat - due to needed repairs costing more than the insured values

the boat is a giant project - that motor will not last long, if you get it running…
The wiring is done, wire will wick moisture, causing it to corrode inside the insulation.

Insurance companies, they wouldn’t pay out for claims such as these, if the repairs were not needed…

Let it go …

Reactions: Halfhitch

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Let it go Elsa.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sorry for your trouble Talon....I feel your pain.
I hope I am not out of line here and I don't mean to offend but looking at that picture it looks like maybe the boat was tied up stern to windward?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry for your trouble Talon....I feel your pain.
I hope I am not out of line here and I don't mean to offend but looking at that picture it looks like maybe the boat was tied up stern to windward?
The boat blew off of a lift, I think the picture is just where it ended up.
I think my decision would be based on how much I have to pay the insurance company to get the boat back. With all that they are dealing with after the hurricane, I would think they would pay you, and just give you the boat not to have to salvage it themselves, if you negotiate hard enough. But, I guess that position is not as strong since you have already recovered it.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The boat blew off of a lift, I think the picture is just where it ended up.
I think my decision would be based on how much I have to pay the insurance company to get the boat back. With all that they are dealing with after the hurricane, I would think they would pay you, and just give you the boat not to have to salvage it themselves, if you negotiate hard enough. But, I guess that position is not as strong since you have already recovered it.
Hi Glacier....I think this thread has 2 different owners with lost boats. Talons boat sank at the dock and Lucky's boat blew off the lift during Ian.....I think.