Hailing port

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello Everyone
Putting name on my boat and came into a debate with some on hailing port. I always thought it should the town of your boat slip, others are saying it's the town where you live. Any thoughts
Thanks
Stay safe

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have seen it done all different ways. I'm in Cape May area. Some use the towns they summer in like Wildwood, Stone Harbor, Avalon others use the area like Cape May and some use their home town in NJ, PA or MD and some lust put a boat name.

My boat is named after my daughter - "Evil Princess". For me there is no name or home port on the boat and all my registration shows my boat name as "Evil Princess" and Cape May as my home port.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The way it was explained to me, is to put the port of the boat. For many of us are landlocked, and it looks silly to have a home port in a landlocked town.

There is a difference when you simply name a state registered boat and a federally documented vessel.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have seen it done all different ways. I'm in Cape May area. Some use the towns they summer in like Wildwood, Stone Harbor, Avalon others use the area like Cape May and some use their home town in NJ, PA or MD and some lust put a boat name.

My boat is named after my daughter - "Evil Princess". For me there is no name or home port on the boat and all my registration shows my boat name as "Evil Princess" and Cape May as my home port.
Thanks for the input and love the name I too have a "princess"
at home be safe

Fishtales

Reaction score
The way it was explained to me, is to put the port of the boat. For many of us are landlocked, and it looks silly to have a home port in a landlocked town.

There is a difference when you simply name a state registered boat and a federally documented vessel.
I agree with this. You don't need it, but it let's others know where approximately you are out of. I guess you could list your hometown, but I think homeport is more appropriate.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was saw a 65 footer in Nantucket once with a home port of Sparta, NJ. I lived in Sparta for 6 years and knew it 50+ miles from the nearest body of water that could accomodate 65 footer! So I guess it's owners choice