Hand Held GPS

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One thing I've learned in my old age is GPS' change/improve about as fast as computers and cell phones. Rather than put out 1-3K for a dash mounted marine unit that will be obsolete in a year, I'm considering a hand held. The Garmin 450 series acts like an Ifone, touch screen, scroll quicker. Yea, I know, they're not as cool as the built in units and those big pretty displays look hot, but at about $400 I won't feel bad about replacing it when it becomes obsolete. Built in antenna, cigarette lighter adapter, budda-bing, ready to go. What do you guys think?

Desperado

Reaction score
I always keep a GPS 72 handheld as a backup. I think you would be just fine as long as you are comfortable witht he small screen.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I thought I could get away w/ a hand-held at first. When you are pounding into seas, you cannot clearly see a screen that small, let alone be able to scroll/magnify/select options.

I got a Garmin 172C a few years back on sale for about $400. So you don't need to spend thousands on a mounted GPS.

Now, the year I got my GPS, Garmin came out w/ their "next generation" products the following year.....but my obsolete GPS still tells me exactly where I am on the map. What more do you need?

no problem

Reaction score
my handheld makes a great backup. For me the small screen is useless when the boat is moving even a little bit. If you think you are going to use it, a larger boat mounted unit is safer in the long run. I saved a buck on a navman unit for my 17 ft runabout and I hate it. it is hardly readable in the sun. wish I had got a raymarine color like my grady has. Good luck!

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an old Lorance LCX19C from 2004. I bought a new SD card for about $90 and it is now up to date, at least for my needs.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We would use both, a Lowrance combo unit with a 5" screen for the chart and sounder, and a Garmin 60 series for the navigate-to rose. Very handy combo. Was also easier to mark waypoints with the handheld.

But yeah, in a seaway it was darn near impossible to try to view the handheld screen with any clarity. Much easier on the bigger screen.

I would get both again. You don't have to spend a lot on either. Even if they get obsolete they still work. The charts don't change that much anyway, not unusual to be using 10 year old paper charts. And if you're using your GPS to navigate open water it doesn't much matter what's on the chart anyway.

If you're doing a lot of night or fog running you need radar too.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok guys, what unit is the most user friendly. My last boat had a Garmin 525 and I never did figure it out and I'm not a stupid person. Little old, but not stupid.