handling 252gt

SAILFISH252

Reaction score
MY 1993 SAILFISH 252 GT HANDLES LIKE A PIG IN CLOSE QUARTERS.HAS ANYBODY ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS AND IF SO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BIGGER PROPS ETC. IT SEEMS THE ENGINES ON THE BRACKET ARE SO FAR AWAY MAKING CLOSE QUARTERS HANDLING LESS THAN EASY.

mronzo

Reaction score
I think bracketed twin outboards are mounted closer together than they are
on say my 2000 265 Express or in board boats. From what I've read, being so close together takes away from close 1/4 handling. Also close 1/4
handling on bracketed boats can be affected by water in the bracket itself.
Other than that I'd say just take it slow and you'll get used to it. Are you happy with it's sea handling?

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my 2nd season with my 92' 252G ... I had some issues handling in close quarters last season..... it's a whole lot different than T/inboards .... .. I know a couple of guys that only use 1 engine while docking ... I had worse luck with that .. So I just apply the 'slow and steady' approach .... and practice.. practice ... practice ... are you new to this boat? How long have you had her?

Tom

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've read that trimming the motors up a little, especially in reverse, helps low speed handling. Also, flipping one engine into reverse the other in forward and the wheel hard over can just about rotate the boat on axis. You just have to play around with the trim and speed levels to figure how it effects your vessel. I run an Islander, a bit smaller, and these things help.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Trimming up the motors help, but it's a little sluggish. The boat does spin on it's axis but be patient. The 265 has them spaced 2" further apart to fit Yami 4 strokes but I don't think you'll notice a difference from that. The 265 has the motors on the transom, not a foot and a half further back (that has more effect).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They will not handle like twin inboards.

Secondly, the bridge is very tall and if you have canvas, think of a sailboat in wind !

In any breeze, the twin motor action is nearly useless in controlling the bow, the stern yes.

You have to lean on the throttle in short bursts when reversing - to get a reaction, and trim up the motors a bit.

I usually come in with one in gear, one in idle, the motor on the windward side in gear.

Inboards are spread have the props well back under the hull, that's why they work so well.

Take down the canvas on windy days if needbe.

If you normally back into your slip, you may be better served on windy days to bow in until it calms down, then turn it around.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
bob is right.

The canvas acts like a huge sail and can make for an interesting experience in tight 1/4s maneuvering. I know. With only about 5 hours under my belt with my new-to-me sailfish I've already seen that situation.

Docking this past Sunday during our little blow was a real workout. I learned real quickly to use the wind to my advantage to control the bow and power to control the stern. Once by the dock I put the finders out and just let the wind ease the boat up against the dock.

This boat handles a lot different then my Overnighter.

HD

richmake

Reaction score
BobP said:
They will not handle like twin inboards.

Secondly, the bridge is very tall and if you have canvas, think of a sailboat in wind !

In any breeze, the twin motor action is nearly useless in controlling the bow, the stern yes.

You have to lean on the throttle in short bursts when reversing - to get a reaction, and trim up the motors a bit.

I usually come in with one in gear, one in idle, the motor on the windward side in gear.

Inboards are spread have the props well back under the hull, that's why they work so well.

Take down the canvas on windy days if needbe.

If you normally back into your slip, you may be better served on windy days to bow in until it calms down, then turn it around.

bob is right on...
I put over 500 hours on my beast last year and I still haven't got it down.
They are tough boats to manuever in tight quarters and if it's windy...look out.
It's the price you pay for having a boat like tis one but I wouldn't change it for anything as all else is a huge plus.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As far as spreading motors out, that' s not a good idea.

The Yamaha spec was same as industry spec, 26 inch on centerline, up until Yamaha 4 stroke V6 came out, only Yamaha needs 29 inch on centerline. Suzie and Honda V6 fit the 26 inch centerline. Notwithstanding, the F350 has it's own spec.

On the wider beam 33s, grady spread the V6s out a bit from day one, I think they also do so on the Marlin now.

Have to be careful with a wider spread, the outer motor may loose bite on hard planning turns and she will cavitate and come off plane.
In hard turns at spped, I want both engines on power.

You don't get something for nothing.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've had a couple eye-openers when docking her with a stiff wind. The dock situation didn't help much either. The dock was about a foot wider than the boat and the neighbors on each side stick out 3'-4' past the pilings.

1021071309.jpg

My neighbor wasn't in but sticks out as far as I do. Any North wind shoves you in to the other boats if you putz around too long. Basically it's time behind the wheel, it's been a few years and I'm still learning.