Handrail Nuts / Sailfish

Backwash II

Reaction score
1989 Sailfish. Has anyone found any way to get to the backing nuts for the hand rails on a Sailfish. Many are loose and leaking water down into the cabin. I removed all the cabin trim teak. I can see all of the port side ones through the gunnel from the cockpit. The fuel filler hoses block the view on the starboard side. Just can't get my arm or any kind of tool in there. Thought I'd ask before making any more holes in the boat. I guess Plan B is to cut access holes and install plates, but I'd really rather not.

Thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wait until you have to get to the fuel fill hose clamps, you will be installing a deck plate right there !

Can kill two birds with one stone.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
And also dont forget to wear some protection on your hands and arms since the fiberglass will tear you to shreads. If you havent done your thru hulls yet best plan on it. Thats also just bunches of fun. :wink:

Backwash II

Reaction score
I guess I'll be cutting access holes. Any one have any tips? I guess I'll use the 6" or 8" round deck plates / covers. I was thinking about cutting holes between two rail mounting locations and trying to reach two sets of nuts through one hole. Wishful thinking?

Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to making more holes in a perfectly good boat.