Happy Holidays to all. This post is in regards to a 272 sail

Gianni

Reaction score
Hello guys.

So I was wondering what you guys do in certain situations with your Grady's.

1- fuel tanks? My boat is a '99, am I at a point where I need to consider replacing them or wait till it goes?

2- any decent vhf radios can anyone recommend?

3- I just had my plastic enclosure replqced--- what's everyone's way of maintaining it and cleaning?

4- when and how much steering fluid should be entered into reservoir.

5- my fresh water pump has never worked. Wire or could be the pump?

I believe. I have more but I know I've asked a few to start.

Thanks to anyone who replies:

Happy holidays

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Happy Holidays to all. This post is in regards to a 272

1- fuel tanks? My boat is a '99, am I at a point where I need to consider replacing them or wait till it goes?

Icom

3- I just had my plastic enclosure replqced--- what's everyone's way of maintaining it and cleaning?

Mild soap with soft mitt. Dry with an Absorber. Polish with strataglass polish

I fill mine until it is almost to the top

Could be either

Gianni

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply. I did not see your answer in regards to the fuel tanks.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Welcome.
I'm not really sure what to tell you about the tanks. You might want to call GW customer service.

Fishtales

Reaction score

I would be proactive. I would not want fuel in the bilge nor risk an explosion. Might be good to ask around at some local marinas.

Icom or just about any of them today. They are all decent. Get a good antenna and you will be fine.
Best to have a hand held and a ditch bag as well.

3- I just had my plastic enclosure replaced--- what's everyone's way of maintaining it and cleaning?
I like the Meguiar 2 step plastic cleaner and polish. I then hit them with Plexus.
I suggest you take them down every year and inspect them when you polish. You can have any touch up sewing etc done if needed before it gets out of control.

Read up on your model on the web. I believe you basically fill it up.

Get a digital voltmeter and measure for voltage at the pump. If nothing, measure up at the dash and also at the switch.
If I were shotgunning, I'd replace the pump to start. They often go bad, it is the mechanical item (usually the weak link) and really not that expensive.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score

You got good responses on the other topics. Re: fuel tanks, I'd offer this: if your boat seems to have been kept up well by prior ownership, you can take a couple of steps to get a sense for what condition they're in. First the three deck plates can give you an idea of how much salt water has made its way to the top of the fuel tanks, and what surface corrosion might be around the fuel fill intakes and sender through holes.

Our 2002 had "prior owner had water in the fuel issues" disclosed, so we pulled the sending units, replaced the gaskets and screws on those, and that gave us an opportunity to carefully look at the inside bottom of the tank (significantly empty), and pump/sponge out the residual watery sludge that they left behind.

More invasive than that would be to pull the cockpit deck plate, and then you can get a significantly greater look at the condition of the tanks, and rinse them down while you're at it. Still I think you should be good unless you've had repeated water-in-fuel experiences.

Bob.

Gianni

Reaction score

Funny you mention water in fuel. We have experienced two years straighter water in our fuel. My father removed about 20 gallons last year and it seems we've had similar luck this year. I will take those steps you mentioned and see what results I come up with.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score

Repeated water in fuel isn't a luck thing . . . be sure to check the o-ring condition on your fuel filler caps. If there aren't o-rings on your caps (the way that my boat was when we took ownership), that's a primary source for water in the fuel.

Second step is to reseal deck access plates. Last place to look is hose fittings and sender unit seals located on the top of the fuel tanks.

Bob.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Water in fuel often gets in through the vent as well. Especially if they have been changed....