Happy Holidays ... whats ahead for boating?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Seasons Greetings to all the Grady owners here. Being a native Floridian and never seen a white Christmas we came close in the Smokies this year, but alas we will wait another year.

My wife and I have some nice vacation rentals here in the NC mountians and a small, but slowly growing chocolate business too. We love our Grady and our goal is perhaps in 5 years to step up to an Express 330. My disabled son who is 11 and is blind just flat out loves the water. He loves being on the boat here on our mountain lakes or when we fish offshore or head to the Florida Keys. We "sacrafice" our time for money to be on the water as much as we can where we can.

However, not to go political here at all, but everything happening in Washington with health care and potentially with cap and trade could likely lead to inflation, higher taxes and of course higher energy costs thus increased fuel costs for boating.

My plan is to eventually sell one of my rentals and do a 1031 exchange as I understand it for a bigger boat. But, with the future so uncertain I feel sometimes my plans and goal are not but a pipe dream. Sometimes I think boating will be only for the uber rich in the near future. I can tell you when we were in the Keys in the summer of 2008 we were practically alone on the reefs in the middle of the week sans the head boats due to fuel costs peaking at $5.25 a gallon.

Do any of you have the same uneasy feeling about the next year or so? What do you all see the future of pleasure boating as we know it? Until things really change I will push through with my plans. Hopefully in a few years I will be here asking questions about the 330 when the time comes to buy.

Happy New Year...here is to calm seas, light breezes and tight lines in 2010...

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
I'm scared to post on the internet how I feel for fear of the goverment kicking in my door and carrying me away.
I cant see the country being able to sustain itself with the tax and spend gov. literally OUT OF CONTROL. IT'S MY MONEY DAMMIT :x
People that mooch off the gov wanting everything for nothing are killing us!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The current lawmakers in Washington were voted in by due process. Maybe everyone will re-think before they enter the voting booth in 2010.

Anyway, one question..We spend time in the middle Keys..when did fuel peak at $5.25/gallon? I was paying in the $3.00 range for 92 octane premium in early 2009.

Like you, I value my time on the water. I am a little more worried about this idiotic craze to save the planet and the implications it will have on our engines and fuel(read 15% ethanol.) Not that rising costs should be ignored, mind you..I'm just waiting for the majority of the public to realize the planet is not warming when we continue to have record snowfalls and the winters(and summers) get colder..

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said summer 2008 and he is right on the price of gas . I was paying close to 4 a gallon at stations for regular and I'm sure it cost more at a marina.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We were down on Key Largo staying at Pennekamp. We bought gas on the Port Largo canal there and regular gas was $5.25 on the last week of June and first week of July.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oops!
Sorry, my fault..I misread the date..I DO remember the price nightmare of '08.

I enjoy running to the reefs out of Pennenkamp. It is one of the only places on the reef besides Looe Key that I know of where the reef is above water at mid and low tide. When you get one of the bouys in that area it breaks the SE to S roll of the Atlantic and makes for a much more pleasant snorkel experience.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My kids absolutely love boating in the Keys and the reefs off of Key Largo. I love boating and fishing there as well. :wink: Our favorite is a bit north up at Carysfort Light and the Elbow. Those places are gorgeous and the crowds are a bit smaller. The reef at Carysfort has decent elkhorn formations and the backside is shallow and drops to perhaps 35 feet on the ocean side. We will be in the Keys for 2 weeks this summer and perhaps motor over to Dry Tortugas for a 2 night camping trip weather permitting.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You have perfectly outlined the answer to "What's ahead for boating?"
1.) 2 weeks in the Keys this summer
2.) Possible Tortugas trip.

This is the future I want to envision anyway..have a great New Year!

Possible food for another topic..I'm interested in a Tortugas run in the future.I'd be interested in gathering as much info on the do's and dont's of that trip as possible.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I guess you are right Magic. But I guess my concerns are due to everything going today and perhaps next year with our economy, the potential of owning and affording to operate a bigger boat gets reduced for guys like me. Sure I could probably buy a bigger boat, but if fuel costs go through the roof, operating a bigger boat just gets too expensive for working stiff like me :wink:

So yes my immediate future with my 228 does look good because I can still afford to make my trip this summer and boy do I look forward to it.