Hard Lesson Learned

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I spent this winter having the boat re-tooled new engines, bow thruster, generator the works. Fished the first two times and off to a great start. On the second trip I put the boat back in the slip-like I always do. Jumped off the gunnel to the dock -like I always do. Landed funny and broke my ankle. I am sidelined for several weeks.

I wanted to share this with you to remind everyone to be careful. Even the simplist things can cause unintended consequences. Be careful. No one else needs to do this. I have done it for us all. From now on I will go out the tuna door and step - not jump - on the dock.

On the bright side, my fuel bill is way down.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
LESSON LEARNED

Thanks for the reminder as alot of us are just getting our sea legs back for another season.
Something else I did yesterday "shocked" me and I thought I would share it.
After I waxed the gunwale, I ran a microfiber cloth over it (in my hand) and when I hit the gas fill, I got a shock. It created ALOT of static. In fact, I got a shock at every stanchon. Don't know if it could ignite, but I felt compelled to share. SAFE BOATING!!! :D

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry for your mishap; a wake-up call, for sure. Don't know if you watch the TV show "Deadliest Catch", but on a recent episode, Jonathan, the skipper of Time Bandit, was going back to his boat to get his wallet. He went to step on to the boat, in her slip and lost his footing. He slipped down between pier and the boat, into 35 degree water.

If not for the quick action of few people who saw it happen, (and a fixed-mount dock camera recorded it), he would be gone.

Be safe, everyone.

Sinclair

Reaction score
Guys,

It's funny you mentioned these mishaps. Last summer I was up around at 0400 to get ready for the days charter. Ran down to the local coffee hole, and got t-boned in my wifes new car. Driver drove off. Took police 1.5 hrs to show up. Fished the days charter, got back to the dock, gave the mate the rest of the day off, and I told him I would do clean up. Jumped off the boat onto the pier, landed wrong and broke foot.

When I got home, had a banged up car and a broken foot. Try to explain that to your wife. Also, did I mention it was the wifes NEW car.

Keep a constant watch of your surroundings.

Tight Lines & Screaming Reels.

Sinclair :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Who knows, you might have slipped going out the tuna door, fell down hit your head and knocked yourself out, fell in the water and drowned.

catch22

Reaction score
Speaking of boating mishaps.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzoS2-L49ss

All kidding aside.... I hope I didn't offend anyone with that video link. A broken foot or ankle is nothing to laugh about.
I hope you guys heal up quickly, and don't have any complications down the road. Like everyone said, it certainly pays to be carefull.

What amazes me is, you would think the older and more experienced you get, the less the chances are of getting hurt... right? I'm 50 ish, and I still make stupid mistakes and have unnecessary mishaps.
For instance - I just finished replacing a hydraulic steering ram. The job could not have gone any better, everything went smooth, (so I thought). The last thing I did was coat the seals with grease, (and I mean last thing, I was completely done). Anyway... I'm running my finger around the edge of the grease tube, and guess what?... I slashed my finger open on the rim of the tube. You just can't win..... :D

catch22

Reaction score
Re: LESSON LEARNED

plymouthgrady said:
After I waxed the gunwale, I ran a microfiber cloth over it (in my hand) and when I hit the gas fill, I got a shock. It created ALOT of static. In fact, I got a shock at every stanchon. Don't know if it could ignite, but I felt compelled to share. SAFE BOATING!!! :D

YES... it can ignite! Static is a big concern where any flamable vapors are present. That's why your fuel fill is grounded to the fuel tank. That's also why, when your fueling up, your supposed to make sure the pump nozzle is in contact with the fuel fill, (resting against it) before and durring fill up. Static can actually build up simply from the fuel flowing out of the nozzle.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Same goes for anyone using the portable plastic or metal cans filled at car gas station, or plastic or metal boat portable styles.

If using the ones at the gas station, take out of vehicle and sit on ground, touch nozzle to tank on side then go into port. Suggest you not scratch your head or anything else while fueling.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
careful

Thanks Catch 22 (22'? Clever name!)
I was pretty sure sure it would be enough to ignite but I didn't want to cause a panic among any Newbies that buffing their boat was going to blow it up!

catch22

Reaction score
Re: careful

plymouthgrady said:
Thanks Catch 22 (22'? Clever name!)
I was pretty sure sure it would be enough to ignite but I didn't want to cause a panic among any Newbies that buffing their boat was going to blow it up!

Besides being very familiar with the potential that static has, (worked with a lot of chemicals and flamable solvents), and witnessed a few explosions, I remember years ago, in a Coast Guard basic seamanship course, being told about the static issue, when refueling.

I like the coment about buffing your boat and blowing up, lol.

I only took this name because many years ago I saw it on a large commercial boat, while watching a documentary. Just thought it sounded right. I think it's pretty common, but I've stuck with it. I like what it implies too.... it's my life story, lol.