hard re-starting engines

fearnofish

Reaction score
i have a sailfish with twin 200 2001 mercurys saltwaters carb engines. engines start fine the first time but after they run they don't want to start. there are two ways i get them to fire. 1st is a fast start throttles engaged then i pump them with long turn of key. or i just do a long turn of the key almost like they are flooded and need to burn off fuel. i know it contradicts it self but either way will get them going. any ideas?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the bulb is staying hard it's probably the carbs needing a rebuild.

jmphoto

Reaction score
hard start

I was having the same problem with my 175 mercs but I have noticed if you lay off the choke altogether they start back up, its one of those less is more things a little throttle and no choke. good luck

fearnofish

Reaction score
called my mechanic today he says the older engines carbs have aluminum floats. the new engines have plastic. what it is, that the ethonal i the gas evaporates at a faster rate because the metal retains the heat so they stay hotter causing the engines to be primed again. this only occurs if the engines sit for longer then 20 mins if it's 10 mins they start right up. it's both engines not just one.