Hard steering question

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2005 228 which I bought used.. I have a problem on which I could some advise from other 228 owners, The issue is hard steering and a constant pull to the right. When the motor is trimmed up high the steering issue seems to go away. However in many conditions where the motor can be trimmed up only part way, when running at say 42 hundred, the steering is very hard and I am constantantly having to turn the wheel left. I had the system bled and it did not make any difference. I know there is a trim tab that can be adjusted but the previous owner never did so, I have not tried yet and wondered if others with this boat find that it is necessasary. I can see no obvious hydraulic leaks, Yesterday however I noticed sometimes when I turned the wheel there was resistance to a point , then a 1 inch jump in the wheel and then resistance again. Do others find the very hard steering condition at higher rpm when motor half way trimmed ?? Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

no problem

Reaction score
Sounds like the zinc steering tab on the lower unit needs adjusted. It's an easy fix. Loosen the bolt and turn the rear edge to port. You should be able to get it balanced to turn equally from left to right. Good luck!

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
no problem said:
Sounds like the zinc steering tab on the lower unit needs adjusted. It's an easy fix. Loosen the bolt and turn the rear edge to port. You should be able to get it balanced to turn equally from left to right. Good luck!

Talked to Grady ant they said to Starboard.. .. Boat pulls to Starboard..If the Zinc acts as a tiller then port is correct. If it is to induce some drag then Stbd is correct..
Any other opinions out there ??
Yamaha 225...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are you sure it was bled properly? There is a step by step procedure at the Teleflex website. Have to follow it.

The motor mounts on motor may be shot, are you sure head is not binding against mid section or steering parts?

If the steering is disconnected at motor, does the motor turn smootly and easily on it's pivot?

As far as steeing trim tab, see where it is at and make note, there are marks when looking from below, loosen it and turn it all the way to the other side, then tighten it. Try it.
Then turn it all the way the other way and try it, since you may find it in the middle null position. If you notice a difference you are done, leave it where it best suits you.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Are you sure it was bled properly? There is a step by step procedure at the Teleflex website. Have to follow it.

The motor mounts on motor may be shot, are you sure head is not binding against mid section or steering parts?

If the steering is disconnected at motor, does the motor turn smootly and easily on it's pivot?

As far as steeing trim tab, see where it is at and make note, there are marks when looking from below, loosen it and turn it all the way to the other side, then tighten it. Try it.
Then turn it all the way the other way and try it, since you may find it in the middle null position. If you notice a difference you are done, leave it where it best suits you.

At the moment the tab is in the center.. it is pulling to stbd.. Bleed was done by reputable local dealer.
Cant easily do in the water so was looking for a starting point given the direction of pull.
Just checked owners manual (last resort) says if it pulls stbd, turn tab stbd. and vice versa

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Borrow a friend's kayak or little skiff and tie it off to the back of your boat... with the motor trimmed up, you should be able to easily adjust the trim tab...

Not likely you have air in your lines... When my system did, I could turn the wheel and turn the wheel and eventually I would get some movement... also you will feel a ratcheting effect while turning the wheel...

Good Luck!

grady23

Reaction score
Sounds crazy but the tab needs to be turned in the same direction of the prop rotation. You don't specify what engine your running and sometimes larger ones require a more radical adjustment. I would set the tab at a point between the 2nd and 3rd mark and try it. I have twins that I'll check in the morning and see which way that they are set to be sure.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady23 is correct. The trailing edge of the trim tab must go in the direction of pull. I have a 228 w/250 and although mine did not pull it was hard to turn to port and very easy to turn to starboard. I had to move the tab to the 3rd line to starboard to even it out. You might also put a drop of Locktite on the bolt after you find the correct position to avoid losing the tab. The further you move the tab the more drag it creates and it could loosen up.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pull boat over to a beach, and anchor off it and stand behind boat, or back it into any empty boat slip at a marina with floating dock, easy to do.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I may be missing something, but a properly functioning hydraulic steering should not pull in any direction. If it does, I'd guess a leaking center shaft seal in the steering cylinder; steering torque puts pressure on the cylinder, the seal bleeds off that pressure, and the motor turns in response to the torque. A mis-aligned torque trim tab might serve to magnify the problem, but I'm guessing it isn't the root cause ... :?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pull might mean "harder", so if the trim does not do it, has to be something esle.

I thought hydraulic helms are NFB by nature, so only may be difficult one direction vs other due to trim tab out, or as usual depending on what one is doing, as in caught in another's wake when following.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Bob, he said "a constant pull to the right" and "constantly having to turn the wheel to the left". The last Teleflex manual I had exhibited the same characteristics, particularly with respect to changes with trim, and the tab would change things when I adjusted it - but never eliminate the aggravation. I agree that hydraulic should be NFB (that was the basis of my 'diagnosis'), and I still think something is amiss with the cylinder (in addition to maybe a mis-adjusted tab) ... :wink:

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Bob, he said "a constant pull to the right" and "constantly having to turn the wheel to the left". The last Teleflex manual I had exhibited the same characteristics, particularly with respect to changes with trim, and the tab would change things when I adjusted it - but never eliminate the aggravation. I agree that hydraulic should be NFB (that was the basis of my 'diagnosis'), and I still think something is amiss with the cylinder (in addition to maybe a mis-adjusted tab) ... :wink:

Well I am going to adjust the trim tab and my mechanic feels there is a little oil leaking at the rear cylinder
so I will repack that and bleed and see where we are. Unfortunately the boat is now "out for the season" so
It is a project for next spring

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:

Well I am going to adjust the trim tab and my mechanic feels there is a little oil leaking at the rear cylinder
so I will repack that and bleed and see where we are. Unfortunately the boat is now "out for the season" so
It is a project for next spring