Hard time staying on plane.

Danistro

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Hello, first year Grady and boat owner
I have a voyager 248 with a ox66 250.
I’m having a hard time staying on plane or getting on plane I feel like I have to give it so much throttle . I’ve been cruising at like 4.3k rpm 26~ mph but high 3.8-4k rpm is like drastically slower and my bow tends to come right up almost like wants to get off plane I’m trying to run some what efficient any tips.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How are you using engine trim and trim tabs?

There's either an issue with the hull (growth, for example) or there is user error in the proper trimming of the boat.

Our boats are not exactly the same - but awfully close. Your numbers are much worse than mine.

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
My 248 needs a lot of tab to pop on plane along with motor trim around 30

Reactions: Danistro

Danistro

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
How are you using engine trim and trim tabs?

There's either an issue with the hull (growth, for example) or there is user error in the proper trimming of the boat.

Our boats are not exactly the same - but awfully close. Your numbers are much worse than mine.
I just trim the engine all the way down out of the hole and trim it up a little while underway . I’ve tried to minimize using trim tabs so I can somewhat dial it in and take the trim tabs out of the equation so to say

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Barnacles can do that.

How long has it been in the water?
Did it have new bottom paint at the beginning of the season?

You are sure tabs are all the way up?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
What do u think it could be the prop is in good shape and the pin still in it
Is the bottom fresh this year and clean at this time? Make sure the motor trims all the way down. Look to see where the stop pin is. Mid-range performance could be props. Call PropGods.com with your performance numbers and see what they have to say (no charge to review).

Reactions: Tomterrica

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I just trim the engine all the way down out of the hole and trim it up a little while underway . I’ve tried to minimize using trim tabs so I can somewhat dial it in and take the trim tabs out of the equation so to say

Same here

Trim tabs used only once on plane to level side to side and just enough bow down to stop proposing

4,000-5,000 rpms is normal cruising which nets 24-30mph.

Those numbers vary if rear tank is full. I like to keep 50gallons in forward tank and 30-40gal in rear tank for better plane performance and softer ride.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm surprised at 5-Salt's numbers - they're quite a bit worse than mine. I would think the newer hull/design you should do better (mine is an '82). With 4 normal sized people, full tank and average gear, I'm running 3,700 to 3,900 RPM and getting 26 to 30 MPHand 9 to 11 GPH. I could easily stay on plane in the low 3,000 RPM range. That's with minimal, if any, tab use.

Don't be afraid to use the tabs - they'll DEFINITELY help you stay on plane at lower speeds.