Hard top Delaminating

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Guys-Girls?
So I just finished reading some posts on the Marlin 30 and a fellow was describing his only problem with his Marlin was (vintage late 90's) some delamination on the hard top which Grady replaced. So I have about 3inches at the edge that is starting to Peel and delaminate. I was thinking of sanding it at putting some marine tex on it followed by some gell coat which I purchased from the dealer. Is this the right approach ? I cant think that Grady would replace a hard top after 13 years. My boat is a 1997 24 voyager. Thanks for any advise. I love the boat which I had owned only since this summer. I have put about 65 hours on her without any trouble. Went to Maine etc. Thanks again. Lew

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am trying to imagine what this looks like. I thought it was molded as a single piece....what is seperating exactly? I have a hard top and it is my first one and I am curious what this looks like? Can you post a pic?

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not very good posting pictures. However describing what I see I would say it looks like a very thin outer layer of the hard top is flaking and peeling. It is a small area on the side of the hard top -about two inches long and the full width of the side -about an inch and a half _guesstimate.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Hardtop Delaminating

Thats exatly how mine started. I am not sure what years but in the 90's GW contructed their own hardtops and the one I had delaminate was one of those. Make sure you take care of those areas right away, you will probably get more. It started in one spot then in time other areas started to peel away. I did notice some small cracks along the trailing edges and that is where the top started to peel.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That sounds more like gelcoat cracking. I believe the hardtop is molded as a solid price. Any good gelcoat repair person should be able to address the issue. Very common on any boat of that age.

richie rich

Reaction score
Lew, a pic is worth a 1000 words...folks are kinda guessing.....if you want, take a digital pic and PM me...I'll post it for guys to see

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks rich I will take a picture as soon as it stops storming here and send you a copy. I took a bunch of picture to post here before,went to a site to download them and did not quite work out. Let me know what sight you use and I can try those. I have some pictures from my grady whale watch and my grady trip to Maine. Thanks Lew

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks Rich and Lew.. look forward to seeing the pics...