Hard Top Questions on a 208

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I came across this site in my search for the 98' 208 Adv that I came home with this past weekend. Great Site, even better boat!

I have come to appreciate the words and experience shared by other "owners" as opposed to the armchair politics found on other sites.

My boat is a 98' and essentially came with every option Grady offered that year however my factory hardtop has no outriggers, rod holders, or rocket launchers. Given my location and the type of fishing I do this is not an option, more of a requirement.

Without drilling a hole can anyone tell me if this hardtop is cored and would it have the strength to support hard-top mounted 15' outriggers in rough sea conditions?

Does anyone have any experience with Taco Sport Slam Outriggers? There is no hardware (other than backing plates) mounted under the top.

Since I am 6'1" the rocket launchers will need to be mounted completely above (not overhanging) to avoid literal headaches. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer or fabricator, or share pictures/info the system they have experience with?

Lastly, is the local dealership/factory/ebay the only option for obtaining GW hardware?

Thanks in advance,

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

Can't advise you on outriggers, but I'm sure someone will have some advice. Rocket launchers can be fabbed up by a tower builder in your locale and added to what you have. We have a couple of them out here but I gather you're on the east coast?

Another thread had hardtop discussion for a 208. Got me to thinking about putting one on mine. Especially if it doesn't sell :wink:

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Thanks,
South Fl, East Coast is correct.

After running boats with and without the hardtop I was impartial untill this one. On a 20' cabin boat having the ability to get all the rods, antennas, outriggers, lights, etc up and out of the way is HUGE. The weight is minimal and evenly distributed so I dont believe it has a noticable negative impact on the economy, ride or trailerability (curtains removed).

As for strength, at this point I am impressed. After crawling up there I have found there is not the slightest bit of flex (i'm 200lbs).

On a side note, I can tell by your previous posts that you use your boat seriously and I will unboubtedly have questions in the near future as I get through some of the planned installs. But given the current economic state if your are selling your boat I'm sure you know already that the active buyers out there right now are not looking for a fair deal, they are looking for a Deal deal. (there are always exceptions of course) If your boat currently fits your needs, hold on to it b/c i cant imagine over the next year that the market value won't improve.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Walker's Edge: Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Grady. There is also a Grady-White oweners club in your area. The Gulfstream Grady Group can be seen here: 'www.gulfstreamgradygroup.com' or feel free to PM me through this site. Lee Potter, one of the moderators of this site is the membership chairman of the Group and you can PM him as well or email Lee at [email='membershipchairman@gulfstreamgradygroup.com]'membershipchairman@gulfstreamgradygroup.com[/email]'.

Our next owner's event is a day cruise and picnic to Jonathan Dickenson State Park on November 8th. You're welcome to join us. We also have some blue water tournaments, cruises and Bahamas crossings.

Rob

catch22

Reaction score
In addition to having a top fabricator install/weld rocket launchers, you can also add clamp-on rod holders to the verticle pipe work, (something you can do yourself).

I had 4 on my Gulfstreams hard top, (2 on each side, stacked on top of one another) and found them invaluable. They were used more than the over head rocket launchers. They were easier to reach and much more convenient.

There are many manufacturers, (Taco, Lee, Tigress, etc) and even West Marine has their own brand.

Link - http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... rodDisplay

As far as outriggers go, you need a hefty backing plate. Usually the standard one's you mentioned are for antenna's, (ratchet mount base). I would not trust the "cored top" itself. The outrigger manufacturers do sell adjustable mounting plates, that clamp onto the pipe work, but they're more for soft tops.

To do it right, (as mentioned before) I would take it to a top fabricator and have them add plates and rocket launchers.