Hard Top, Soft Top or Bimini Top?

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hey All, it's been awhile since I last posted. My 1991 Tournament 225 went through a rebuild and repower in 2019. Metan Marine rewired the entire boat, replaced the fuel tank and repaired some cross members that had rotted out, did some transom work, redid the Grady engine bracket and added a new Yamaha f250 and rigging from Rick's Outboards.We got the boat back in late June and had a great season on Lake Champlain. My next project will be to replace the current bimini top which is falling apart. I'm going back and forth on what would be the best option and was looking to get some thoughts from everyone on the forum. The boat is used for trekking up and down Lake Champlain with the family and enjoying out short but awesome Vermont summers. I'm also trying to figure out the safest, most efficient way to carry our stand up paddle boards. The boat has always had a bimini top on it but I want to find the best option for us. Thanks for the feedback and Spring is closer!

Attachments

• Summer 2019 Mallets Bay.jpg
    Summer 2019 Mallets Bay.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 16

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My vote would be for hardtop every time. That said, by far that is the most expensive option, be sure you will keep the boat for a while to get the full value of adding it.

Reactions: ScottyCee

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea....I go hardtop. If it is about money, then bimini. If you have bridges, bimini. If none of the above, hard top, no contest.
Call Jerry Stotesbury at WMW, takes 3-5 months, but a factory OEM top. They ship, and easy to install or have it installed or ship your boat to them with uship and let them do it or, hell...drive it to them heh.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW never offered a factory hardtop on 225s of that vintage, so it will have to be custom made.

Hardtops are great, but they add weight, and potentially create issues with storage, low bridges, etc...

I had a hardtop on my 226 but the walkaround style seems to support one better. I couldn't imagine one on my 225. A good quality bimini for that boat should be sufficient.

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Blasphemy!.. lol :p

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
How many boards and how long are they?

For short runs/occasional use you could store them down the middle though it might make moving to/from the bow a hassle.

For long runs a hardtop with custom brackets is definitely the way to go.

seasick

Reaction score
What motor is on the hull now. It may make a difference in a decision on top. Honestly, the price difference between a Bimini and a hard top will be a cost factor of ten or more for a custom build.
Is it worth it on a boat of that vintage?

Fishtales

Reaction score
My vote would be for hardtop every time. That said, by far that is the most expensive option, be sure you will keep the boat for a while to get the full value of adding it.

^^^ This

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I would be thinking of some type of brackets, like a slingshot with tall uprights, to go in the gunnel rod holders for the boards.

Alan Tani manufactured his own racks for hauling kayaks. You can see them here:

I'm not a fan of Bimini tops, youtube is full of videos of those things coming apart like a cheap suit. If you get one, get a good one.