Hardtop Alignment

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I was relocating several clamp-on rod holders this weekend and something was just not right. The holders on port/starboard vertical pipes were in the exact location at the exact same angle. However, when I placed a rod in them one was closer to the hardtop edge than the other. Steping back and looking hard, I could see the difference. I got the tape measure out and sure enough, there is a half inch difference from the hardtop edge to the vertical pipe one side verse the other. My factory hardtop is bolted on crooked!

richie rich

Reaction score
check all your bolt hole locations and pipe length...it may not be bolted crooked, but it may be bent...check how plumb the vertical pcs are

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I measured everything. Plan and simple, they put the hard top on crooked, by about 1/2 inch.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ken, I feel liek my hardtop is on uneven as well, I decided not to measure because it will bother me more then. If I don;t know I feel better off because knowing will only make me mad! It is a shame something so simple cannot be done right, but then again I've seen guys first hand install them wrong, I've watched guys read plans wrong and just not care, and then try to explain it to them on the plant line and they stare at you confused as to why it is wrong... Hopefully it is not structural, just cosmetic, but it is a shame that it was not done right.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Its just cosmitic. I went all over it. My Gulfstream was the same way, but I didn't measure it. I just knew because I had to have the clamp on rod holders on one side angled different. Also, with the antennas (port/Starboard) down, one rod is inside one outside. I probably should have just not measured ...... I guess I will have to get a new 305!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Kenlahr said:
Its just cosmitic. I went all over it. My Gulfstream was the same way, but I didn't measure it. I just knew because I had to have the clamp on rod holders on one side angled different. Also, with the antennas (port/Starboard) down, one rod is inside one outside. I probably should have just not measured ...... I guess I will have to get a new 305!

don't count on that to fix anything. my port and starboard gunwale rod holders aren't aligned the same. i noticed it when i recently installed 2' grab rails along the gunwale. i've already given them an earful on lack of solid qc (and i thought with the drop in production, everybody would be double-checking my boat, what else are the doing?). ron

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Well said richierich. I love my Grady, the hull design and the layout meets my needs. But Grady has been killing themselves with what I have observed as very poor QC. I am not alone with the mis aligned hard top either; so far I have talked or received bmail from three others.
-
If they were counting on my vote for the JD Powers this week they would be in trouble.

A

Anonymous

I seen this at last years boat shows how both Pursuit and Robalo basically blow them away now.

richie rich

Reaction score
you saw a crooked hard top on a display boat at a boat show? Hard to believe the boat wasn't looked at from head to toe before being dragged to a show......

as far as Robalo???? I don't know about going that far....unless they've stepped up over recent years...

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This kind of feedback needs to be heard by GW execs. They follow this board so hopefully they will be discussing action plans to avoid such defects.

No hand made product is without defects. The two keys in my mind are:

a) Have a good QC process to minimize these while catching any which occur BEFORE the product leaves the factory.

b) Have a good process for addressing defects when encountered by a owner.

GW excels in one of these but could improve on the other. (IMHO)

A

Anonymous

Lets not have blinders on just because GW builds a good boat, they can way be improved on for the monies they charge. Robalo has by far come far. The 305 WA pretty much blows away the Marlin. I know what I am looking at , not sure how many really actually do know about mechanical/construction issues. Has anyone sat in the rear jump seat on the Chesapeake ??? The non adjustable backrest has you pushed forward where you are looking at the floor !!! I am not sure what idiot you could get to sit there to watch the spread as you troll, I will leave it at that. You be the judge. They are good, but the past few years are over priced and far from "the best".

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
MegaB, pretty lame not being able to drill holes in correct locations, simple enough. And the frame is jig welded.

It's just plan "lack of attention to details".

Absolutely no excuse for it.

Fortunately for Grady, no one has noticed it and reported - at least on this site, until now.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
See a) above. I agree GW should address quality issues BEFORE the boat leaves the factory. It surely costs more to fix defects in the field using dealer labor. I actually spoke to some factory execs at the last boat show and offered some opinions on areas where GW falls behind some other builders concerning finish.

One area often noted on message boards is the bilge access areas. Pursuit, Jupiter, and Southport exceeded GW in their finish based on what I saw this year.

Give feedback. They will listen.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If anyone is supposed to know what the competition is doing, it's supposed to be Grady, not you or me.

As long as Grady sells boats and continues to get JDP awards, you get what you get.

Reputation is worth a lot in marketing, more than the items you mentioned.