Hardtop Drop Curtains

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I sometimes like to remove the 3 drop curtains from the boat rather than roll them up and it's a chore getting the first one off. It was the same on my last boat. If any of you do the same, is there a trick or sequence of removal that makes it easier? The gap in the middle of the center curtain is rather narrow but I usually can bend it enough to get one side of it out. I don't like doing it this way but I've never been good at puzzles... HELP!

Fishtales

Reaction score
The only way I found to do it is to unzip/unsnap one of the corner pieces with the small guide piece at the top and remove it from the top guide. Then slide the aft side curtain into the corner and bend it around (not into the guide on the side) so the top piece rides outside the side guide. This will allow the larger middle one to slide over and come out the middle cut in the aft guide. Then the two smaller aft pieces can slide out. You then need to re-install the small corner piece, or remove the other side and leave these off as well.
Kinda a PIA. That's why they roll up I guess.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks, I'll give it a try this week as they need to come off for a good scrubbing.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Just installed mine so thought I'd toss this out FWIW.

I take the enclosure off every year and give them a good cleaning and then treat the plastic glass before rolling up and placing in storage.
I have tried a number of things. I like the Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish. A two step application that takes some elbow grease.
I like the way Plexus finishes them, so I clean in the fall and finish them in the spring.
This year I tried the cleaner and polish from 210. Ok I guess, but I like the Plexus better as the polish and didn't think the 210 cleaner did much.
Be careful of bleach on the white enclosure (if you have white). Spot clean only. The thread material doesn't hold up so well.

Re-installing. I find it best to start from the front and then the sides followed by the 3 in the aft. I put the 2 corner pieces in last due to the issue at the aft we already discussed.

Up here in the NE, a lot of people just leave them on the boat and shrink wrap over the boat. No problem with this except difficult to clean if you are using a liquid. Ok if you are using an aerosol spray though.

Good luck.