Hardtop make sense?

Scouter

Reaction score
Does it make any sense to put close to $6K into a aftermarket hardtop for 07 Adventure 208? Cost for the top is close to 5K plus the glass work.
I love these boats with hardtops, but very hard to find factory one on a 208. In 8-10 years will it make a bit of difference in resale?

Thanks in advance

Jim

lgusto

Reaction score
Jim,

I can't imagine boating in northern New England without a hardtop and enclosures. We use ours almost year round except for the rare heat wave. Of course, I'm offshore or nearshore most of the time. Running the rivers and bays is a bit warmer.

Does it make any sense? IMHO, absolutely if it makes you and your passengers more comfortable. And it's a great platform for the antennas, radome, etc.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
6K seems a bit much. Atlantic Tower estimates a hardtop and pipe work for $2999, add rocket launchers and it's more, but if you go simple it can be cheaper. You don;t really need rocket launchers, they will be high up anyways, most guys can't reach them, and one's off legs can be added later with lee rod holders for around $90 a holder. You will need new drop curtains, about 800-1000 more likely. For a 20 ft boat you do not need an eleborate hardtop, go simple unless it is something you will really use a lot. Only add an electronics box if you really need it, only thing to put off it are spreader lights, they are $35 each, buy them yourself and have them install them. A hardtop is a big investment, but 6k seems overpriced. If you said 4500 I'd say that sounds more realistic for a decent quality hardtop. Another alternative to save money is cavas hardtop, I like fiberglass better but if your on a budget there is nothing really wrkng with canvas. You will need to treat the canvas top to keep it protected and make it last. I'd suggest shopping around more and getting more quotes. A hardtop might not add a ton of value to a used boat down the road, but it will add a little, but the trend I've seen is boats with hardtops often sell quicker since buyers seek them, so it will aid in selling the boat but might not bring a huge resale value, but it will help a little since it is an accesory, but it will not be at full value of the purchase for sure.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
After 8-10 yrs you may retain about $1,000+/- of value for the HT you put on today.

Your boat is still very young so in my view it would make more sense at this stage of the game and less so down the road. And yes a HT is probably the #1 accessory / feature a new buyer would be keen to have on the hull they would want to buy.

$6,000 does seem over the top though but I did see a guy pay close to $4,500 for a HT he had put on a 22yr old Grady... he just wanted it..

Good luck working it out.

seabum

Reaction score
208 great boat, I love my 98 208 and was thinking of a hard top myself but was woundering if it ups the fuel useage? I have a canvas top now. Think Spring!!!!!

Scouter

Reaction score
I looked at several shops that had booths at the New England boat show on Sat. Looks like they all do good work, but Redman Fabricators in S. Maine really shined. As good as factory work. Their basic top is 4500, which included a elec box, and 4 rocket launchers. The canvas work they estimated at 1500. Nice setup, and nearly factory look.
Atlantic had a cheaper price at around 3K I think. For 400 bucks they would come to your lot and install, which I liked. Kind of a one size fits all top, fitted to your boat, it was nice but didnt quite have the factory look. I suppose there is some value in the bimini and curtains I have now to sell on ebay to help out. Thanks everybody.

Jim

seasick

Reaction score
What motor do you have on the boat. If equipped with the minimum, Grady recommends adding about 25 hp if a hardtop is added. For a 2 stroke, 175 min and for a four stroke probably 200.

G8RDave

Reaction score
It may not make a ton of difference in the resale, but I agree that the boat will sell much quicker with the top than without it. I love having a hardtop. Keeps me in the shade, allows for easy use of the curtains, perfect place for vhf and stereo, gets the vhf antennae way up high and out of the way, gives passengers something to hold onto on their way to the bow (especially in rough seas), would be a great place to add outriggers if I did that type of fishing, the rocket launchers get the poles up and out of the way when running, and my kids love laying up there when we hang out at the islands (although that may not be the best idea if your kids are bigger than mine). Just be wary of low bridges!

In short, do it!

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I own a 208 with a hardtop and fully agree with everything said above. IMO the top amplifies the space on a smaller boat by getting everything up and out of the way. I have had boats without them as well but will likely never go back to a bimini. The initial cost is not cheap and no one will tell you that you will get your money back for it 5-10 years down the road but the bottom line is should you need to sell it, yours will disappear much faster than the 500 other 208's on the market without one.

Btw, on my boat I still see 3+mpg at 25k cruise with an old carb'd yamaha.

Think about where you will put your rods, antennas, lights, additional electronics, outriggers, isenglass, and how you will get to the bow in anything other than glass calm water.

Best upgrade I have......period.

Scouter

Reaction score
GatorFan:

Is your hardtop a factory or an aftermarket top? Post a couple pix if you get a chance, thanks for your input, very helpful. My boat has a F200 Yamaha, hopefully power wont be an issue..

Jim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get a full bimini enclosure, $1.5K to less than 2K aftermarket.

Larger models have more benefit from the hardtops sinc ethey are usually equipped with more electronics and gear.

That will get you all the protection you need from the weather.

As far as boats go, no such thing as getting your money back on resale, it's a big hole in the ocean, have you heard?

If you have a much larger boat with no hardtop, it will get killed more than lately, on resale, comparable to others with hardtops.
Not the case with the smaller models, usually equipped at most with biminis, for a valid reason.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Power will definitely not be an issue.
My top is factory (but added by the dealer at the time of original purchase)I still can hit 45mph WOT, light, on calm water.
If you fish then you already know how much the 208 severely lacks in (accessible) rod storage. As far as electronics storage goes, even your dash on the 208 which is larger than mine only allows 2 units to be mounted out of the elements, so your alternatives are less than desirable without the ebox. This is aside from having antennas that will eternally be in the way.

Like everyone has said, dont do it if your bottom line concern is money. But I have NEVER come across anyone that regretted putting the top on, quite the opposite actually.

What are your speed/fuel numbers with the F200?

sig.jpg

Rod holders are Lee's Tackle, very high quality, currently on sale from factory for $55/ea

Hope this helps.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Definitely shop around, 6k is high. As someone already mentioned the fiberglass portion of the top drives the cost up significantly so canvas coverings are popular (and less weight).

A radar arch in combination with a bimini will also serve the same function for way less $$.

PS: There is no place that girls love to be more on the sandbar than up on that hardtop and FYI 3@110 lbs is no problem for the factory top, I know this, just dont grab those antennas!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you do have a top fabricated, then here are a few comments and photos.

We purchased our Islander with the Vista top and had a hard top made locally (S&S Marine in Norfolk) about six months later.

We had a top made with the same basic dimensions as the factory top, but based on comments from a lot of GW owners, we had the back frame located at the aft end of the top. This allows the aft curtain set to hang vertically, instead of the usual angle, and permits crew to be inside the enclosure behind the pilot seat or the companion seat. See this shot:

hardtop1.jpg

Since we don't have the large bag for lifejacket storage, and our electronics box is deeper but not as wide, we had a lot of room for rod storage. There are now TEN (yes, 10) sets of Lee rod holders up there, and we can store seven-foot rods on the sides. Your top will be smaller, but you can get a lot of rods up there.

Enclosure made locally also. Note that the front openings are upside down "D"s. These can simply be unzipped and allowed to hang inside, or they can be rolled up and fastened at the bottom. The side openings do not roll - they swing up and are fastened with two post and button fasteners each. Even swing up with the rods in place. This prevents a lot of damage to them, it is much faster to get them up when all you want to do is reduce windage for a docking evolution... Another photo:

hardtop2.jpg

Grab rail down the center was suggested by a friend in 2006. I drew up a simple plan and had it made by S&S Marine. Cost was $107, including backing pads for the top side.

Cost for the top in late 2002 was about $3600, including welded pads for the Taco Grand Slams, cockpit lights and four Lee rod holders. The enclosure has 30-wt Strataglass, and cost about $1800.

Brian

Tundra1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, great stuff, the photos help a lot. My grand plan over the next couple years is to add the top and bow pulpit. The pulpit from Grady is not too bad, $1200 for the parts only. The top is a bigger outlay of gas money for sure. I keep bumping numbers in my head that when you add the wishlist up, its not that far from a Seafarer 226 with all the goodies stock. Its great not to reinvent the wheel as a lot of you folks have done the things I want to do.

Walkers edge:

I havent got the boat wet yet, I just bought it as a new 07 2 year holdover from Lockwood Marine in GA, and am going to bring it home to Maine tomorrow. I spent some time on the Grady site with the Yamaha fuel burn, looks like it will get better mpg than my 99 208/F150.
Our water is still a bit stiff to do much fishing for awhile yet

BobP:
I hear ya on the cost of boats, had one form or another since I was 8. The only one I made money on was the one I bought one day, and sold the next and made 250 bucks. When looking at that beauty Express 360 at the NE boat show this past weekend, I was wondering what $460K would look like in a few years. Sure was a head turner

Thanks again for all the help, will post a pix of my new girl when I get it home.

Jim

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
hardtop

I got my hardtop from Redman marine just before Christmas and I am installing it now. It fit exactly and the quality is second to none! It took a bit longer to get than I would of liked but, it was well worth the wait. I live in Illinois and there is no hardtop builders near me. I will post some pics. when I'm done (if I can figure out how to do that). But again, Reamans quality is awsome! I can't wait 'till the harbor thaws! Soon to be coho time!!
Joe

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get what you need or want to have, and not to worry about resale unless you are going to sell in a year or a few. If you keep the boat and use the things you have acquired, then it pays since you effectively "use them up".
That advise is not withstanding the times.

With the times at hand the overwelming influence is different.

All but a few 20 footers that come out of the factory have no hardtop, yet it is an option - begs the question(?)

An arch was mentioned, a buddy has same boat and he and the Admiral prefer to be out in the sun, so a bimini offers that choice. He has the arch for all the goodies. Both together are less in cost than the hardtop.

Treatment of sunbrella polyester is little, it doesn't even fad nor look dirty at least the navy color. It self cleans in the rain, wish my car did the same.
It's a wonderful material, spray it once a season with a spray can treatment, no leaks. And it lasts forever, seemingly.

Nothing wrong with hardtops either, the alum needs some waxing to keep from pitting, that's it.

Enjoy as often as you can these goodies..

See you on the water where every Grady belongs, and who said only dogs are a man's best friend?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And by the way, hardtop box popularity has fallen by the wayside in favor for mounts at the helm. Nice to have at the time, no bimini could do the same. The older electronics were smaller screen but much deeper cabinets. My 6 inch Sitex CVS106 ws deepr than wider.
Not so any more, just the opposite.

I recall when Grady humped the hardtop and created a full width double door electronics boxes.

So times have changed.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I agree that you should see a little better mileage out of the larger engine, 200hp seems like a perfect match for this boat.

Dont hesitate to share your improvements once you get the thing in the driveway, I have a feeling I would be flat broke if I had a couple months each year just to dream up extensive boat projects.

Brad1

Reaction score
have thought about the same thing for my '03 226. I bought the boat as a leftover back in late 2004. I saved ALOT of money by buying a leftover ($50k for . But the downside was that I couldn't get all the options I wanted. One of which was a hardtop. It did come with full vista (bimini) top and storm enclosure. My decision is to wait until the vista top need replaced, them plop a hardtop on her. I'm saving for two kids college so I gotta be as frugal as I can.