Hardtop Mounted Outriggers

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
domsmith said:
I too agree that plastic pipe would definitely work good for it and you must give it a try. There are many benefits of doing it.

I ended up going the epoxy route. We dug out a bunch of the foam and filled the void with an epoxy putty.

With the plates I fabricated bolted/glued to the hardtop and then the epoxy my outriggers are solid. Now I look at every mounting job I see and have yet to find one other than welded that looks and feels as solid.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I mounted a pair of XS riggers on a hard top a few years back. I reinforced the roof with 1/4" by 8" aluminum band across the top and mounted the riggers through it. It was solid as a rock.

fitzman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ayacht, I realize that this is old thread, but I was really interested in the outrigger brackets that you designed and had fabricated for your hardtop. I think that they look great and really are a functional and practical alternative to welding. I am looking to do the exact same thing on my new to me 04 Islander 270. By any chance would, would you still have any drawings, dimensions or details that I could use As template to fabricate a set of these brackets? Please let me know. Many thanks. Jim

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ayacht, I realize that this is old thread, but I was really interested in the outrigger brackets that you designed and had fabricated for your hardtop. I think that they look great and really are a functional and practical alternative to welding. I am looking to do the exact same thing on my new to me 04 Islander 270. By any chance would, would you still have any drawings, dimensions or details that I could use As template to fabricate a set of these brackets? Please let me know. Many thanks. Jim
I do not have anything that would help for a template. It would not help even on the same model because things can be off a bit. Also it is easy to template and build it. The Outriggers holes were done and all that mocked up dry first. Then I built the plate. All I used was a piece of alum tube of similar diameter cut a little less than half so it fits nicely on the piping. Then alum flat plate for hardtop. Put them where they need to be and mock it up for welding and mark holes for rigger plus rigger bolts and hardtop bolts. You will see from the pipe to the flat plate we added a couple of gussets to add stability to the welded part. My alum was not anodized so I powder coated the part to match. It has been installed for 10 years and I run my riggers in any see and out no issues.

Epoxy coring your hardtop is a huge part of doing this or any penetration on your hardtop correctly. You do the hole and then take out the core material either balsa wood or coosa foam. Then you fill the area between the fiberglass layers with epoxy. I use the six-ten epoxy from west marine in the tube. For smaller bolt holes where you cannot get in and get the material out you drill them a size or 2 bigger and fill the entire hole then when dry redrill to the exact bolt size you need. It sounds like a pain and is more time consuming but very much worth it. I did shot gun rod holders in the gunnel this year and even with the coring of marine plywood I did this process. Doubt the factory ones are done this way. This is a detailed article https://marinehowto.com/sealing-deck-penetrations-to-prevent-core-rot/

fitzman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Many thanks for the follow up and information. Much appreciate.