Hardtop on a Tournament?

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I have a Tournament 225 and was thinking of ditching the bimini and going to a hardtop... Has anyone out there put a hardtop on a Tournament? ...or a soft top? What are the pros and cons vs. the bimini? My wife and I are getting up there in years and quite honestly some days the bimini can be a pain to open up and secure.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just sold my Tournament 22 after 10 years. Always wanted a better top, and ended up with an over sized bimini as a compromise. Nothing wrong with a rigid top, as long as you don't have low bridges, or garages, to contend with.
Pros: Anything with a rigid frame, whether hard top or canvas, offers several pros.
Less shake and rattle means quieter ride.
Possibility for a better enclosure means extended season.
Possibility for rocket launcher means more rods, and better storage.
Overhead electronics box.
You can add all kinds of things to the top. Radar, outriggers, antennas, lights.
Cons.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Just sold my Tournament 22 after 10 years. Always wanted a better top, and ended up with an over sized bimini as a compromise. Nothing wrong with a rigid top, as long as you don't have low bridges, or garages, to contend with.
Pros: Anything with a rigid frame, whether hard top or canvas, offers several pros.
You can add all kinds of things to the top. Radar, outriggers, antennas, lights.
Cons.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thanks for the input!

fastexas

Reaction score
Cons.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
JCB...I currently have a 225 Tourney....the orig. bimini in pretty ratty shape. Where did you get your oversized bimini when you had the Tournament?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Fastexas - if you know someone with a good sewing machine, just get sunbrella fabric and uv resistant thread and you can make a replacement easily.

JCB - I’d recommend selling the tournament and getting a different boat with the hardtop already done. It would be harder to resell with modifications, than original. The weight of the hardtop would throw off the scuppers and drains height. Could even add some weight for the trailer if a single axle. I’d not modify too much personally and just find a better suited boat for your needs. You would not have a big problem selling yours early in season but finding a replacement right now would be tough.

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
JCB...I currently have a 225 Tourney....the orig. bimini in pretty ratty shape. Where did you get your oversized bimini when you had the Tournament?
I don't have a oversized bimini, I believe it was glacierbaze that said that he picked up an oversized bimini...

Reactions: fastexas57

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Fastexas - if you know someone with a good sewing machine, just get sunbrella fabric and uv resistant thread and you can make a replacement easily.

JCB - I’d recommend selling the tournament and getting a different boat with the hardtop already done. It would be harder to resell with modifications, than original. The weight of the hardtop would throw off the scuppers and drains height. Could even add some weight for the trailer if a single axle. I’d not modify too much personally and just find a better suited boat for your needs. You would not have a big problem selling yours early in season but finding a replacement right now would be tough.
Interesting... everyone is telling me that adding a hardtop will add value to the boat... I don't trailer it, it's racked at a marina high and dry... The fabricator said that a rigid soft top would have about the same weight as the bimini... That said, I do follow your logic and it makes sense relative to the scuppers and drains... my boat is already sitting a tad low. Thanks for your input!

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225

My bimini top is like new... no complaints about the condition. I'd never sell the boat to get a hardtop... it's been long paid for and I keep pouring $$ into it. The only reason why I raised the question about the hardtop was that we are not as young as we used to be and it seemed to be a bit of a chore opening and closing the bimini.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My oversized Bimini was just something I picked up on craigslist. I already had an arch installed, which gave it a lot of support. I never put it down, except for hurricanes. One thing to Consider, if you have enclosures, or any curtains, you have to stick to the original top. I had none.

Attachments

• 36E7137F-7130-46C7-9D26-43F7604072FD.jpeg
    36E7137F-7130-46C7-9D26-43F7604072FD.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 5A8AEC58-C3F3-47D8-82A7-12DE9504404D.jpeg
    5A8AEC58-C3F3-47D8-82A7-12DE9504404D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 32

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
JCB3, I'm with you on several points: 72YO, and appreciate comfort and convenience. Love the hardtop on my 228, hate the lack of room between the seats at the helm. Same hull as a 22 Tournament, but the walkaround steals a lot of your room to maneuver.
I agree that a better top adds value, and weight diff is negligible. You have a heavy ss frame on the bimini, and would end up with an anodized aluminum frame on a rigid canvas top.
A true hard top would add significant weight, although there are some sheet goods used now instead of fiberglass.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Weight-wise, you'll fine - it's not that heavy that it's going to make much of a difference - if even noticeable, at all. As far as reseale, it certainly won't decrease the value.

But... does your bimini top currently fold all the way down when you're not using it? You can add rear legs for under $100 so even when folded, it stays in an up position. I don't know if Grady offers this on their newer models, but I know Sea Ray does - go to SR's website and look at some of their smaller boats and you'll see what I mean. This might be all you need - for much less money.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
ok so maybe an extra couple or few hundred lbs is negligible, yeah probably, but he already said his scuppers are sitting a bit low. I think it’s pretty obvious that a hardtop is going to add weight over a Bimini whatever that number is.
In regard to value, maybe not decrease, but the cost no doubt will not be recovered in a resale, which doesn’t really seem to be any motivation in the decision. Boats with a lot of modifications from original builder design make me wary, while others feel differently as stated.

Maybe someone else likes the hardtop, but it would not increase value substantially and it would not be cheap for the custom build. Personally, and this is obviously just my opinion, but a tournament with a hard top just won’t look right, at least what I can imagine. But hey, if it makes you happy, go for it.

Dennis has a good suggestion adding a couple poles to your existing Bimini set up.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Sorry, but as I’m reading back through the tread maybe I’m a bit confused with your plan… thread topic says hard top but then you say rigid soft top… agree rigid soft top would be similar weight to Bimini. A couple inch think fiberglass hardtop, with bolts, backing plates, on the other hand…

You say it’s long paid off but you keep pouring money into it…geez, on what could you possibly be pouring money into except the engine?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
If that’s what you’re going for, go for it. If it makes it easier for you, if it makes you happy, enjoy it.

I am simply offering a different opinion that you all may disagree with, which is perfectly fine from my perspective. Feel free to ignore my rambling or take it for what it’s worth… $0.02, but that’s why OP is asking isn’t he? To get some other perspectives?

wlewis

Reaction score
10 years ago, I sold my 232 with a hardtop and wanted a similarly sized Tournament/Freedom, but really wanted a hardtop. GW didn't offer a hardtop on a 225, but when searching dealer inventories online, I noticed my local dealer had a 225 with a hardtop they had added. That prompted me to buy that boat. Love it!

Reactions: JCB3

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Call GW Performance Welding...they are a sponsor here....they will tell you everything you need to know. I bought rocket launchers from them for my Offshore.....priced right....quick delivery and great customer service. They were great.

Reactions: JCB3

JCB3

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Sorry, but as I’m reading back through the tread maybe I’m a bit confused with your plan… thread topic says hard top but then you say rigid soft top… agree rigid soft top would be similar weight to Bimini. A couple inch think fiberglass hardtop, with bolts, backing plates, on the other hand…

You say it’s long paid off but you keep pouring money into it…geez, on what could you possibly be pouring money into except the engine?
The fabricator suggested that a soft top would cost less and achieve the goal as the hardtop... only reason why I mentioned it. He wants $10k for the hard top... about half that for the soft top.