Hardtop paint color help

teaklejr

Reaction score
Getting my hardtop for my 1997 F26 Tigercat repaired and need to find a paint that will closely match original. I realize whatever I get won’t be exact but just trying to find something close. The guy doing it likes the Totalboat paint and said he has had good results with it. Just wanted to see if anyone has any input on what color choice might work. I am thinking just a off white would be good especially since the top is not right up against another part that is painted.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The GW stock colour as in all old Gws is off-white pinkish. Any one in the auto trade that colour matches should be able to get it very close.
If you mix white with a little ( I mean very little ) red and very little yellow you will get very close. All colour matching is trial and error.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Anyone worth their weight in salt should be able to, or know someone that can, match the paint.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The GW gelcoat whitens over the years in the sun. I like the original ivory color - too bad. Maybe get some color samples and match them up like a dentist does with a crown if you are doing it. As stated whoever is doing the work (if a professional) should do this easily.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As was stated above, blending and color matching is a trial and error game on a Grady that is older. I've had some work done on my hull, filling in some unwanted thru hulls and they tried to blend as close to my bleached out 2004 color as they could get. It's a slight shade off, but I can live with it. I have some lids on the inside that are the factory color and they are more than a few shades off, but they were repaired off the boat so no color to go by to try and match, which was my mistake, again, I'll live with it until a later date.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Luckily, your hardtop is separated from the rest of your boat by aluminum & canvas. And you normally can't see the top of it. And everyone else's top is faded more than the rest of the boat.
If you paint the entire topside of the hardtop one color that is relatively close, nobody will notice except that, for a few years, it will be shinier than the rest of the boat.

You could even go with a generic bright white which will make any future small repairs more "blendable". Thats what I would do.

Just got to thinking about the Grady tops....
They are textured non-skid even though nobody is going up there. That causes them to hold dirt. If I were painting, I would not add any texture and would let it smooth out and be glossy so it washes easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: efx

teaklejr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I have order paint swatches from Jamestown marine from all the major manufacturers and will just pick the one that matches the best. Like a previous poster said since it’s up high and has the aluminum structure and enclosure between it and the rest of boat I don’t think you will notice the color difference much. It had gotten soft in both back corners where the outriggers were not sealed properly. It was getting pretty bad, I could actually compress the top with my fingers and when it rained brown drips would come out of the back side of top. The guy doing has finished repairing it and it looks really good now just need it painted and she will be ready to go.

seasick

Reaction score
Was the top originally painted or was it gel coated? If gel coat why wouldn't you re gel?

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is the color code for AwlCraft 2000 - F8421. This is a custom mix that is is in their database and any AwlCraft vendor should be able to mix it for you. I just painted my hull and redid the non-skid on the gunnels and bow - looks great. It's slightly more 'pinkish' than the non-painted areas of the boat, but as others mentioned, the color fades to white over time.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks for the replies I have order paint swatches from Jamestown marine from all the major manufacturers and will just pick the one that matches the best. Like a previous poster said since it’s up high and has the aluminum structure and enclosure between it and the rest of boat I don’t think you will notice the color difference much. It had gotten soft in both back corners where the outriggers were not sealed properly. It was getting pretty bad, I could actually compress the top with my fingers and when it rained brown drips would come out of the back side of top. The guy doing has finished repairing it and it looks really good now just need it painted and she will be ready to go.
Hey Teaklejr, What color did you go with and any pix? I'm trying to make the same decision.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I know this going to sound crazy ,but if I ever need to paint my hardtop I am seriously thinking about an orange and white diamond pattern. Why? Because if I am ever in distress helicopters would be able to better spot my boat .