Hardtop Swap

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea if a 204 Overnighter hardtop would fit on a 228 Seafarer?

There is an old overnighter being parted out in NY.

Thanks

Last edited:

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Haha, I know….

The boat with the hardtop is in Queens NY and I’m in Baltimore MD. I asked him to measure it, but I don’t know if he will or not

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would always get the seller's measurements before I gave him what I needed, in case they tell you something will fit, just to make the sale, and you drive a long way and it is different.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
I would always get the seller's measurements before I gave him what I needed, in case they tell you something will fit, just to make the sale, and you drive a long way and it is different.
Great idea. Thanks for sharing

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know that JJMag has been trying to sell the hardtop from his 228 Seafarer for quite sometime and believe that he still has it for sale. Though I think he's out here on the west coast in California and you're in Maryland, which would be I'm sure a good chunk of change to ship it across country. Might check with him and see if he's still got it for sale?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
from pix of 208s and 228s I've seen, I would guess not. Also, they are different by year even for the same model.

Main thing is get pix. Is it even a Grady OEM top? Year? Is it worth the trouble or is it a mess? If he won't send pix and measurements..walk...

Even if the measurements look good its probable you'll have to have some welding to turn feet or something. Things start adding up.
It needs to be really nice (or really cheap)to even mess with it.

Have you priced a custom top? Try GW Performance Welding in South Jersey. They advertise on this site. Or look around MD for a local place.

Good Luck.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
A old hardtop may not be bargain. My hardtop had to be totally refinished last year. 25 years old. I did it myself but if I had to pay someone it would have been cheaper to have a new one built.
Gel Chips.jpeg Gel fail.jpeg Hardtop top 1.jpeg Hardtop top 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Could send GW Cust Svc a note via the web and ask for dimensions. The frame structures are likely very different and even if close in size it would be some work.
I'd look locally and see if you can find someone who installs HT and STs and see if they can do it.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
I know that JJMag has been trying to sell the hardtop from his 228 Seafarer for quite sometime and believe that he still has it for sale. Though I think he's out here on the west coast in California and you're in Maryland, which would be I'm sure a good chunk of change to ship it across country. Might check with him and see if he's still got it for sale?

Yeah I’ve seen that one. I’m sure it would cost more to ship than to purchase.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
from pix of 208s and 228s I've seen, I would guess not. Also, they are different by year even for the same model.

Main thing is get pix. Is it even a Grady OEM top? Year? Is it worth the trouble or is it a mess? If he won't send pix and measurements..walk...

Even if the measurements look good its probable you'll have to have some welding to turn feet or something. Things start adding up.
It needs to be really nice (or really cheap)to even mess with it.

Have you priced a custom top? Try GW Performance Welding in South Jersey. They advertise on this site. Or look around MD for a local place.

Good Luck.
Yeah. It was too good to be true. I doubt it’s worth it.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Could send GW Cust Svc a note via the web and ask for dimensions. The frame structures are likely very different and even if close in size it would be some work.
I'd look locally and see if you can find someone who installs HT and STs and see if they can do it.
All great advice. I’m going to pass. If anyone needs a hardtop, he’s in NY and is only asking $400. Looks to be in nice shape. He’s on Facebook marketplace.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
A lot of boat building in Maryland. Particularly on the Eastern Shore. Personally I like the fiberglass hardtops. They are heavy but look better. Some of the aluminum shops do a fiberglass skin top. Aluminum frame and 1/8" fiberglass sheet on top and on underside. They are functional but not structural. You have to plan your mounting places and have aluminum plate installed (radar, rocket launchers, rigger plates, etc).

If you are a fisherman and plan to install outriggers on either style top get a rigger backing plates welded into the tower frame corners.

Last edited:

Norcoastal

Reaction score
A lot of boat building in Maryland. Particularly on the Eastern Shore. Personally I like the fiberglass hardtops. They are heavy but look better. Some of the aluminum shops do a fiberglass skin top. Aluminum frame and 1/8" fiberglass sheet on top and on underside. They are functional but not structural. You have to plan your mounting places and have aluminum plate installed (radar, rocket launchers, rigger plates, etc).

If you are a fisherman and plan to install outriggers on either style top get a rigger backing plates welded into the tower frame corners.
Yeah I’ve had many boats and this is my first Grady and first boat without a hardtop. I have a Bimini to keep the sun from burning my balding head and I have flush mount Lee’s outriggers on the gunnels, I think I’m gonna pass on the hardtop for this boat. I just bought a brand new 2023 Mercury 4-stroke 200. I think a hardtop may add too much weight for the 200.